Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-20, 09:22 AM  
Terry

I have returned about 20 books in about 5 years. If I recall correctly, they give you 365 days to return (I could be wrong on this.) There are no set limits. It sounded nuts to me so I did a customer service chat. She told me that if an account looks like the person is buying one book, then returning it for another repeatedly with only paying the monthly membership which comes with a credit, they'd look at it and do something about it.

I think there are higher level memberships that cost more than $15 and give 2 credits per month.

You have to pay attention to what you buy with credits so that you don't lose money. For the $15 per month account, make sure that you purchase something that cost at least that much with your credit. Use the "buy 3 credits" option when you need it to get a cheaper price; for example:
  • If you want an $8 book, put it on your credit card.
  • If you want a $20 book, buy 3 credits for $36 (or whatever they have going at the time) to purchase that book for $12.
  • Always do the math. I got a non-fiction series that was listed at over $200 for a $12 credit.
  • I don't know if your credits have to be at zero to be able to use your credit card directly, or if you get to choose one or the other. I think you can choose the credit card even if you have credits.

I read somewhere that the credits you get with membership dues will eventually expire, and I have a vague memory that this only applies to the $15 per month accounts yet does not apply at higher levels. I've never bothered to verify this, and maybe I dreamed that it only happens with cheaper accounts. I just make sure I use my credit each month.

I like to keep some books for repeat listening, get rid of some after one-time through (And no, I do not try to exchange these for credit. I only exchange books I Joni-O.), and get rid of the freebies I disliked but can't exchange (monthly freebies; buy one get one free). You can't get rid of a book from your library on Audible.com; you have to go to Amazon.com to do it. I have to Google every time to find out how to find my Audible library on Amazon.

I made a spreadsheet of all titles, fiction/non-fiction, author, series, books in the series I still don't have, and books I listened to once then tossed, and books I Joni-O'd to exhange for a credit. This has been very helpful to me.

The system is set up to show you that some title you are looking at is already in your library. It hasn't always been accurate for my account, and I once almost re-purchased something I already had in my library because it wasn't marked. I kind of thought I already had it, so I looked in my library (before I made my spreadsheet) and there it was.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 09:35 AM  
dianestjohn

I think, but am not certain, that the credits you get every month do not expire - I have been a member for a long time and I remember at some point getting an email notifying me that they had changed their policy and that credits would no longer expire. (It startled me because I didn’t know the credits ever did expire.)

Another good thing about Audible is you can put your membership on hold for 3 months while you catch up on your “reading” - your credit card is not charged and you are not issued new credits but you are still an Audible member and after the hold period is up your membership reactivates.I think you can do this once a year - I have done it several times.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 09:36 AM  
dianestjohn

Also, yes, you can choose to pay by credit card for a title even if you have credits to spend.
Old 06-18-20, 09:47 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I think, but am not certain, that the credits you get every month do not expire - I have been a member for a long time and I remember at some point getting an email notifying me that they had changed their policy and that credits would no longer expire. (It startled me because I didn’t know the credits ever did expire.)

Another good thing about Audible is you can put your membership on hold for 3 months while you catch up on your “reading” - your credit card is not charged and you are not issued new credits but you are still an Audible member and after the hold period is up your membership reactivates.I think you can do this once a year - I have done it several times.
Great on filling in the gaps, and I didn't know about the 3-month hold. Cool!
Old 06-18-20, 09:48 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
Also, yes, you can choose to pay by credit card for a title even if you have credits to spend.
And also good gap-fill-in.
Old 06-18-20, 11:32 AM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Well, I don't think they intend for you to do it that way -- you get one credit each month and when you return, you get your credit back. I think if you're not a member you probably cannot return anymore, so.... you would just keep accumulating credits with that method. But I've never seen anything about a limit on how many returns they have. I would love it if they went to a model like you suggest -- pay a fee and listen to a few books a month or whatever. Because you're right, who really needs to keep all of them? Once in a while I re-listen to something just to put me to sleep at night. Since I've heard it before, I don't mind if I miss something.
It would be nice to pay a fee and listen to a limited books a month.

I do keep books that I love and enjoy re-reading but I doubt I will keep any audio books. I had a hard time listening to books in the beginning. Some narrators can be annoying and sometimes I feel like I miss something even though you can back up a few seconds and listen to it again. It just easier to flip pages and go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
When you use a credit your are purchasing the book and it stays in your library even if you cancel your membership. I have been a member off and on for years and it’s very easy to cancel. As a matter of fact, I just took advantage of the 7.95 a month for four months special and rejoined today. I used my credit to purchase James Patterson’s Beach House.

I also borrow audio books from the library but Audible is great for times when you just can’t wait to listen to a book or if the book is very long and you fear you won’t be able to finish it before the library takes it back (I really hate when they happens).
I think I'll consider joining and take advantage of the special since only for 4 months for 7.95
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 11:42 AM  
difit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I have returned about 20 books in about 5 years. If I recall correctly, they give you 365 days to return (I could be wrong on this.) There are no set limits. It sounded nuts to me so I did a customer service chat. She told me that if an account looks like the person is buying one book, then returning it for another repeatedly with only paying the monthly membership which comes with a credit, they'd look at it and do something about it.

I think there are higher level memberships that cost more than $15 and give 2 credits per month.

You have to pay attention to what you buy with credits so that you don't lose money. For the $15 per month account, make sure that you purchase something that cost at least that much with your credit. Use the "buy 3 credits" option when you need it to get a cheaper price; for example:
  • If you want an $8 book, put it on your credit card.
  • If you want a $20 book, buy 3 credits for $36 (or whatever they have going at the time) to purchase that book for $12.
  • Always do the math. I got a non-fiction series that was listed at over $200 for a $12 credit.
  • I don't know if your credits have to be at zero to be able to use your credit card directly, or if you get to choose one or the other. I think you can choose the credit card even if you have credits.

I read somewhere that the credits you get with membership dues will eventually expire, and I have a vague memory that this only applies to the $15 per month accounts yet does not apply at higher levels. I've never bothered to verify this, and maybe I dreamed that it only happens with cheaper accounts. I just make sure I use my credit each month.

I like to keep some books for repeat listening, get rid of some after one-time through (And no, I do not try to exchange these for credit. I only exchange books I Joni-O.), and get rid of the freebies I disliked but can't exchange (monthly freebies; buy one get one free). You can't get rid of a book from your library on Audible.com; you have to go to Amazon.com to do it. I have to Google every time to find out how to find my Audible library on Amazon.

I made a spreadsheet of all titles, fiction/non-fiction, author, series, books in the series I still don't have, and books I listened to once then tossed, and books I Joni-O'd to exhange for a credit. This has been very helpful to me.

The system is set up to show you that some title you are looking at is already in your library. It hasn't always been accurate for my account, and I once almost re-purchased something I already had in my library because it wasn't marked. I kind of thought I already had it, so I looked in my library (before I made my spreadsheet) and there it was.
Thank you. This helps.
Old 06-18-20, 12:04 PM  
difit

I came across this on Audible credits/ credits expire.

As an Audible member, you will receive credits as part of your membership benefits. The number of credits you get depends on your membership plan. (We offer several types of membership plans, and our customer service team can help you pick the right one.) You can use a credit to purchase any audiobook regardless of price.

From time to time, Audible members will receive special offers to purchase additional credits at a discounted rate.

Credits do expire. You have up to one year after the issue date to use any credit you receive.
Old 06-18-20, 12:37 PM  
dianestjohn

OH sorry for the misinformation and thanks for the update! I have 3 unused credits so I gotta make a few purchases
Old 06-18-20, 03:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh, one more "trick"...... there are some books Amazon sells where they'll say something like "buy this and spend $5.99 more for the audio book" - or something like that. I don't know how often it ends up this way, but one time it seemed cheaper for me to buy the kindle version and add on the audible one. I did not use "whisper sync" to read & listen -- I was only interested in listening but it just made sense to do it this way rather than use a credit. I have a friend who is a huge fan of whisper sync and going back and forth between reading/listening.

Tags
amazon audible, audible