Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-20, 03:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

shipping to europe via usps

is flat rate box the only method?

i went to usps.com to estimate shipping a trade to the Netherlands and was wondering why they only showed flat rate boxes in the results.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 04:32 PM  
sherry7899

I have sent items overseas using regular padded envelopes. It will likely cost at least $13-$15 to ship a dvd there.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 04:26 AM  
starbelly

I have received packages in padded envelopes, but prices have become prohibitively expensive. Sometimes I look at items on ebay, but the shipping charges are $20 or more. I looked at the website for USPS and found a number of options for international postage including a first class package (NL is price group 5). A first class envelope under 15.994 ounces (so specific!) is $13.23. They really don't make it easy to find the information.

A note on customs forms: in the NL we have to pay duty on packages valued at more than €22 (about $24). The VAT is 21%, but for looking at the package the customs office charges at least €13. I bought some yoga straps and was sure to be under the €22 limit, but the seller put double the value for insurance purposes. As a result, I ended up paying more than the value of the goods in duty and VAT so be sure not to overstate the value of the contents for insurance.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 11:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

starbelly, i was hoping you would reply! thank you for the helpful information.

i used a different USPS link to estimate shipping and only the flat rate boxes showed up in the results. i think that USPS intentionally skips some of the choices to keep things simple. my recipient mentioned that $50 was the reference point for the cost of sending a small batch of DVDs. i'm sending 6, and 2 are in slim cases.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 06-10-20, 11:42 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sherry - thanks for the reminder about a bubble envelope - it will be considered as one of the options.

Old 06-10-20, 01:08 PM  
Ricka

You should be able to ise first class international service to ship if you prefer. I can look up some options for you if you need a help.😊 I ship internationally from time to time.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 02:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Ricka, if i ship 1st class, i would have to split the shipment up - 13 oz max for 1st class. there are 6 DVDs, 2 in slim cases.

Old 06-10-20, 08:30 PM  
Ricka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Ricka, if i ship 1st class, i would have to split the shipment up - 13 oz max for 1st class. there are 6 DVDs, 2 in slim cases.
Oh too bad...! I wish there were more economical options to ship oversea.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 01:49 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ok, great news!

to ship a 2#, 5 oz box, whose longest dimension is 10" (contains 6 DVDs + cases), the following USPS options are:

1) First Class International: $39.30 - no insurance
2) Priority Mail International: $54.30 - insured up to $100 included.

Note:
DHL Express - an independent courier: $120, includes insurance up to $100

i didn't bother checking UPS or Fedex.

Old 06-14-20, 06:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have more questions -
Question #1: could someone confirm my understanding of the 2 methods?

there are 2 methods for USPS shipping from US to an international destination:
1) First Class Package International Service
2) Priority Mail International

Option 1 is the lowest cost. Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe it excludes insurance - could someone (from the US) confirm this?

Option 2 costs more and includes insurance.

Question #2:
Regarding value, the sender will mention the value on the customs form. USPS informed me that the insurance included in Option 2 includes up to $100 insurance coverage in case of loss. Are customs taxes based on sender's declaration of value or the level of insurance?

Question #3:
In the Netherlands, are customs taxes charged on gifts of used DVDs?

Tags
international postage, international shipping, shipping, shipping charges, usps