Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-15, 06:28 PM  
Chomper

A recent one I enjoyed:

http://yogawithadriene.com/yoga-for-relaxation/

Sometimes I find it more effective to do a short power yoga type workout, because it helps to build concentration and muscular tension first and then do the relaxation part. I recently used this practice and liked it:

https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/rise-and-shine
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 06:56 PM  
Lulu Belle

I have been pretty stressed lately, so I decided I was going to commit to Ultimate Yogi for awhile. I need to have something kind of strenuous to keep my mind off of bad thoughts/energy, so I thought this type of yoga would work for me. Today I'm on day 16. I don't know if I will do the full 108 days, but having a schedule and knowing what to do each day has been helpful. For most of the day I felt very peaceful and calm. I think it might be helping.
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-15, 07:10 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Restorative and Yin yoga styles work for me. But in the end, it's just the breath-awareness (slowing down my breathing, taking deeper breathes) either from yoga or meditation that calms me. Best wishes for finding something that works for you. I think neither yoga nor meditation is a one-time fix; you need to do it regularly and after a certain period of time you'll notice the results.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 05:13 AM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieC View Post
I'm so sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time. I think the Raviana's will help a lot. I have found Kundalini yoga so so helpful for my stress and anxiety issues. I really resonate with Kia Miller as well. I think you can sign up for a 15 day free trial on yogaglo and she has some really nice beginner practices. Anything with pranayama and meditation really seem to help me.
Also on Yogaglo are many many yin practices and many many restorative practices, all well produced and effective.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 08:40 AM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I adore Yoga with Adriene! She's quirky and fun and all about modifying to make the practice work for you

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 04:31 PM  
pharma_gal

Thank you for all your replies and your thoughts. I do have Barbara Benagh's YFSR and Mimi's Yin Yoga. I will try those as well as Kundalini. I need to accept the situation for what it is and come to terms but it's hard. Will also be seing a counselor but meanwhile I need to do something to calm me down. I will keep you guys posted on Ravi & Ana's DVD's. I have so many I have collected but not done, guess it's time to use those. Also, I will be trying out the trail subscription on yogaglo. I have heard about Kia Miller in other threads and have been wanting to try her out. Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:08 PM  
ncl

Travis Eliot Yoga Foundations....super chill.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:13 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
The RaviAnas are great if they work for you. For some people, they increase anxiety. Try it and see. Since you're already stressed, my advice would be if the kundalini yoga seems to make it worse then just stop for now and try something else.

I also love Erich Schiffmann. I wouldn't be inclined toward yin or Benagh when very stressed, because there's too much "space" for my mind to wander; Erich's yoga is a slow flow, which keeps my mind more engaged.
I have similar reactions to both kundalini and some yin yoga practices. For example, in Travis Eliot's yin practice on YouTube he holds some poses for so long I find myself getting antsy, or looking up to make sure the video hasn't stopped.

Apart from the yoga, leave yourself notes or set reminders to just stop and take one or two deep breaths throughout the day. It doesn't seem like much, but it can really help and only takes a few seconds.

I hope the situation improves very soon. Hugs!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 07:23 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Thank you for all your replies and your thoughts. I do have Barbara Benagh's YFSR and Mimi's Yin Yoga. I will try those as well as Kundalini. I need to accept the situation for what it is and come to terms but it's hard. Will also be seing a counselor but meanwhile I need to do something to calm me down. I will keep you guys posted on Ravi & Ana's DVD's. I have so many I have collected but not done, guess it's time to use those. Also, I will be trying out the trail subscription on yogaglo. I have heard about Kia Miller in other threads and have been wanting to try her out. Thanks!
Hey Pharma_Gal. One more thing: did you see this article that Ana has on their website about anxiety? You should read the article, but he summary of how to use the DVDs is:

1) It is best to cycle through the DVDs since anxiety can operate on many levels, so its good you have a bunch to work through. A couple of recommendations are:
-Delete Depression on Yoga Quick Fixes
-Naval Power DVD
2) Especially try to incorporate the So Darshan Chakra Kriya Meditation which is taught on Yoga Bliss Hips, Yoga Quick Fixes, and Yoga House Call, working up to 31 minutes.
3) She also lists some other meditations to try.

Do let us know how your are doing. Glad you are going to get into counseling, but of course we are here for you too.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-15, 08:01 PM  
BunnyHop

It sounds as though you have a good plan, which IMO is half the battle.
If the plan doesn't work, change the plan and keep going.

Yoga-wise, I'm not sure if the breath work or the poses were most important. I did a pranayama/raja yoga type practice for a while, that was all about the breath work, with just a few poses.
Later, I took a more standard yoga class about once a week.

The knowledge that somehow I'd changed sorta crept up on me. Before that, if I injured myself I'd hurt, bleed and freak out. After that? Hurt, bleed and get on with life. Not sure what created the change exactly, but I do know it is real, and seems to have persisted long beyond the time in my life in which yoga played a steady role.

(Lately I'm a big fan of CS type breathing and moving, less fond of holding static poses.)