Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-15, 02:51 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
I totally get that spending less and actually using the workouts thing. Ever since I got real about what I enjoy the most a lot of what gets mentioned in the forum passes me by and I am completely ok with it (except for this lol)

Yes I am super excited to workout with Hamelin which is a bit of a new thing. I always enjoy other workouts when I am done but sometimes getting started is a little tough. I finished thighmatics the first time and was like "wow, I can't wait to go to bed and wakeup and do that all over again!" which is kind of sick (because its hard but doable) but amazingly exciting at the same time. I love that so far I am pleasantly feeling it but not so miserable that I can't get around without being reminded of my workout.

I am so glad you mentioned cardio because where you used to be is where I am right now. I occasionally get it from yoga or BB cardio but I generally avoid it because I don't like it. I was looking at the xpress rebounder or the low impact...do you think those would be good starting points? What kind of cardio is it exactly (I get it from the title but what does he actually do)?

Thanks again so much for the info Rebecca, I am excited to be super into a workout method again. HDM is just the ticket right now. Really glad you haven't lost strength - I have always been on the skinny-fat or scrawny side and want to actually get stronger for once (thank goodness we get a little older and start to care more about being well than just only focusing on looking good).

Seriously though on the quick results, it is freaky how fast stuff is changing. I think that's why I latched onto the idea of his cardio. I just have about 5 vanity pounds to lose but want to fast track it if I can. What did you think of his other xpress workouts? I am interested the most in the ab and glute ones, I am hoping if I email Nina I can get them that way.

p.s. I will start out taking progress pics tomorrow morning. I don't know if I will ever feel up to sharing them but I do want to see how fast the changes happen. Everyone on his Facebook page has gotten incredible results...in such a short amount of time too!
I know what you mean!! I finish my workout for the day, and I'm already thinking about what I'll do tomorrow (I know I sound like such a dork but it's true!!!). I have so many stuff to pick from it's crazy! My body craves my Hamelin time, plain and simple. I try to stick to a plan/rotation for the most part, but it's hard with a new workout arriving in my inbox every week, now two with the Rambert series, but I try to stay the course mainly because I can actually gauge which workouts do what for me. I do have weight to lose, so it's fun to figure out which combination of food and workouts is better.

Hamelin really has a way to make exercise intense, fun and effective, but I don't ever feel pounded into the ground, exhausted or so hungry I could eat an entire cow on a stick. I sometimes get carried away and end up doing 90 min-2 hr workouts and I don't ever feel starving or tired other than that "good" tingly feeling you get when you do an effective workout. My cortisol was through the roof when I was lifting heavy and now it's within the normal range, so I'm quite happy about that as well.

Even if you don't show those pictures to a single soul you'll be happy to have them in the end - pinky promise!

Aside from all the important bone density and muscle preservation issues as we age, you're going to be floored with your skin tone as you progress with HDM. I know I'm starting to ramble... I just love this stuff so much!!!

About Xpress: I don't know if the strength workouts are still available, but you can always ask Nina (she's the best!!). On the cardio front - again it depends on what you like. If you like the trampoline stuff you're going to love that one, the low impact has great choreography (90's style) and the high impact one is all-out high impact - think about Karen Voight's Power Packed workout, that kind of stuff (he uses Technotronic's Pump of the Jam on that one ) They're all a great starting point if you're not doing much cardio now, mainly because they're short. Also, you've got a good deal of freebies in the channel I posted upthread - four cardiotones, two high impacts and two AIS (AIS is cardiotone, jump rope and toning moves rolled into the same workout)
Old 07-03-15, 03:14 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCatrina View Post
I know what you mean!! I finish my workout for the day, and I'm already thinking about what I'll do tomorrow (I know I sound like such a dork but it's true!!!). I have so many stuff to pick from it's crazy! My body craves my Hamelin time, plain and simple. I try to stick to a plan/rotation for the most part, but it's hard with a new workout arriving in my inbox every week, now two with the Rambert series, but I try to stay the course mainly because I can actually gauge which workouts do what for me. I do have weight to lose, so it's fun to figure out which combination of food and workouts is better.

Hamelin really has a way to make exercise intense, fun and effective, but I don't ever feel pounded into the ground, exhausted or so hungry I could eat an entire cow on a stick. I sometimes get carried away and end up doing 90 min-2 hr workouts and I don't ever feel starving or tired other than that "good" tingly feeling you get when you do an effective workout. My cortisol was through the roof when I was lifting heavy and now it's within the normal range, so I'm quite happy about that as well.

Even if you don't show those pictures to a single soul you'll be happy to have them in the end - pinky promise!

Aside from all the important bone density and muscle preservation issues as we age, you're going to be floored with your skin tone as you progress with HDM. I know I'm starting to ramble... I just love this stuff so much!!!

About Xpress: I don't know if the strength workouts are still available, but you can always ask Nina (she's the best!!). On the cardio front - again it depends on what you like. If you like the trampoline stuff you're going to love that one, the low impact has great choreography (90's style) and the high impact one is all-out high impact - think about Karen Voight's Power Packed workout, that kind of stuff (he uses Technotronic's Pump of the Jam on that one ) They're all a great starting point if you're not doing much cardio now, mainly because they're short. Also, you've got a good deal of freebies in the channel I posted upthread - four cardiotones, two high impacts and two AIS (AIS is cardiotone, jump rope and toning moves rolled into the same workout)
Oh my gosh I feel exactly the same way with his workouts, when I up my intensity or do a lot of cardio I get SUPER hungry...like the SNL french fries skit...it's very "lay off me I'm starving!" over here. Since I picked up his workouts up I have done about an hour to 70 minutes of Ballet Beautiful and then another 30-40 minutes of Hamelin without that feeling of having put myself through the ringer so I really get that as well - I'm doing it because I actually want too (what a concept!). He does have this way about him, you are working hard but it's also calming and relaxing in a really neat way.

You're not rambling at all~ I love hearing about this especially since I am getting into it now I am really excited about the skin tone too. I have stubborn cellulite in that "thass" region. Obviously when I sit just right on the floor I can make the orange peel look happen everywhere else but I am hoping his stuff will help me get rid of it entirely or at least minimize it. I am going to be adding dry brushing too (I think I remember reading that you had done that and noticed it helped out a lot when you combined it with his workouts?) and I know it's super temporary but the Frank Body creme/oil does help tighten the area up a bit which always helps me feel a little better.

Thanks for the info on the xpress workouts, I'll ask Nina for sure about them and I'll probably stick to the low impact and rebounder cardio along with those freebies you posted. I just did 40 minutes of BB but I want to do some thighmatics and glutematics too. With any other workout I would consider that insane but with Hamelin it's something to look forward too! I am so glad I can nerd out about this with you!
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 03:52 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
Oh my gosh I feel exactly the same way with his workouts, when I up my intensity or do a lot of cardio I get SUPER hungry...like the SNL french fries skit...it's very "lay off me I'm starving!" over here. Since I picked up his workouts up I have done about an hour to 70 minutes of Ballet Beautiful and then another 30-40 minutes of Hamelin without that feeling of having put myself through the ringer so I really get that as well - I'm doing it because I actually want too (what a concept!). He does have this way about him, you are working hard but it's also calming and relaxing in a really neat way.

You're not rambling at all~ I love hearing about this especially since I am getting into it now I am really excited about the skin tone too. I have stubborn cellulite in that "thass" region. Obviously when I sit just right on the floor I can make the orange peel look happen everywhere else but I am hoping his stuff will help me get rid of it entirely or at least minimize it. I am going to be adding dry brushing too (I think I remember reading that you had done that and noticed it helped out a lot when you combined it with his workouts?) and I know it's super temporary but the Frank Body creme/oil does help tighten the area up a bit which always helps me feel a little better.

Thanks for the info on the xpress workouts, I'll ask Nina for sure about them and I'll probably stick to the low impact and rebounder cardio along with those freebies you posted. I just did 40 minutes of BB but I want to do some thighmatics and glutematics too. With any other workout I would consider that insane but with Hamelin it's something to look forward too! I am so glad I can nerd out about this with you!
I love it!!! And yes, feel free to nerd about this with me

I HAD to google that Frank thingy you mentioned! I'm going to look into it. I'm always trying out new products. I do dry brush and I try to be as disciplined about it as possible. It works, if anything, it keeps your skin super soft and exfoliated, which is never a bad thing. I enjoy the feel and it helps me with those pesky ingrown hairs I used to get in my calves after shaving.

I really enjoy Hamelin's demeanor. For me, it's just the right amount of cues and talk during the workout. I don't even mind when he counts every rep, although it unnerved me when Billy Blanks did that. In most of his cardio workouts he does hand cues so it's even better because you can lose yourself in the music. If you ever get the classes then you'll get a taste of how he's really like - a tad goofy and very light-hearted. He's more all business in most of his workouts, but his personality really shines through in the classes.

Don't be affraid of going for the gusto, as long as you don't experience over-training symptoms, at least that's what I do. If I start feeling sleepy during the day or my appetite picks up I dial down the HDMing, particularly the higher impact cardio. I can get away with as much mat or cardiotone/low impact as I want, but I have to keep an eye on how much high impact I'm doing (I just love it so much I sometimes get carried away... ME!!! the former cardio hater )
Old 07-03-15, 05:07 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:

I HAD to google that Frank thingy you mentioned! I'm going to look into it. I'm always trying out new products. I do dry brush and I try to be as disciplined about it as possible. It works, if anything, it keeps your skin super soft and exfoliated, which is never a bad thing. I enjoy the feel and it helps me with those pesky ingrown hairs I used to get in my calves after shaving.

I really enjoy Hamelin's demeanor. For me, it's just the right amount of cues and talk during the workout. I don't even mind when he counts every rep, although it unnerved me when Billy Blanks did that. In most of his cardio workouts he does hand cues so it's even better because you can lose yourself in the music. If you ever get the classes then you'll get a taste of how he's really like - a tad goofy and very light-hearted. He's more all business in most of his workouts, but his personality really shines through in the classes.

Don't be affraid of going for the gusto, as long as you don't experience over-training symptoms, at least that's what I do. If I start feeling sleepy during the day or my appetite picks up I dial down the HDMing, particularly the higher impact cardio. I can get away with as much mat or cardiotone/low impact as I want, but I have to keep an eye on how much high impact I'm doing (I just love it so much I sometimes get carried away... ME!!! the former cardio hater )
This is what I really love about Hamelin's workouts. I'm so smitten with his cardio and cardio/tone workouts. I love the music that he uses and I love the old school aerobics. I could do his cardio workouts every day and never time of them.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 06:13 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
This is what I really love about Hamelin's workouts. I'm so smitten with his cardio and cardio/tone workouts. I love the music that he uses and I love the old school aerobics. I could do his cardio workouts every day and never time of them.
Aren't they amazing? I was in heaven when he was doing the webisodes and I got a new and shiny Hamelin cardio each month. He's been hinting on IG that he might release a long one eventually, one of these days... I've been keeping my fingers crossed, Debbie

I feel 17 again, with the cute leotards and slouchy socks

Old 07-04-15, 07:09 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:

I like the Frank Body balm I guess you could call it. It's cheap and it does help perk things up a bit. I really loved their coffee scrub but we are on septic now I really like dry brushing too but am not as consistent with it as I wish I was which is kind of dumb because it takes like 5 minutes in the morning. I am trying to get in the habit of finishing my showers with a blast of cold water too. It feels so invigorating when I remember to do it...which isn't that often lol.

Yes I completely agree, Hamelin talks and cues just perfectly for me. I don't have a problem with reps being counted out but I know it can drive some people nuts. I absolutely love his hand cues too! I found a 5 minute or so clip of one of his private classes and it looked like so much fun!! Someday that would be a real treat!

I still can't get over how much I am enjoying his workouts. I started glutematics today but only got a little ways into it, I did some BB before then and the last half of thighmatics and don't think I have it in me for more, at least not for a half hour or so lol. I usually make Sunday's my rest day but I want to try his Cardio Tone 1 tomorrow. It is really addicting in the best way possible. I think the thing I love most is it's hard but not miserable you know? There are moments where I am all "whoa this is hard...geez I love it though"

I'll try not to go on and on about this but *seriously* on things tightening up and lifting in like a new york minute. My word. I have gotten farther with Hamelin in just a few days than I do with Ballet Beautiful in two weeks. I am officially obsessed and a total convert.

How often do you do his cardio? I feel like since you are a reformed cardio hater there may be hope for me yet lol. Have you gotten Bodymatics yet?? I can't wait until it's in the webshop.
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 04:24 PM  
pharma_gal

Ok so I got the workouts. this is my first time trying Hamelin's workouts and I was excited. I have tried the glutematics (I broke it up into 3 pieces actually) and loved loved it. Brutal abut really great. The bodymatics on the other hand I am not too fond of. The set is really dark. I am not someone who is picky about production values but this set is really gloomy. Also, I thought there was supposed to be a 15-min stretch segment which isn't there. The workout itself is plenty long so I'm not complaining about that I was just expecting a stretch segment. I don't feel motivated to try bodymatics again. Glutematics however will get a lot of use.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 05:40 PM  
Suzan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Ok so I got the workouts. this is my first time trying Hamelin's workouts and I was excited. I have tried the glutematics (I broke it up into 3 pieces actually) and loved loved it. Brutal abut really great. The bodymatics on the other hand I am not too fond of. The set is really dark. I am not someone who is picky about production values but this set is really gloomy. Also, I thought there was supposed to be a 15-min stretch segment which isn't there. The workout itself is plenty long so I'm not complaining about that I was just expecting a stretch segment. I don't feel motivated to try bodymatics again. Glutematics however will get a lot of use.
Sorry to hear you were disappointed.

What was the breakdown? I was under impression it was 15m LB, 15m UB, 15m Abs and 15 stretching..
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-15, 06:35 PM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzan66 View Post
Sorry to hear you were disappointed.

What was the breakdown? I was under impression it was 15m LB, 15m UB, 15m Abs and 15 stretching..
Quote:
A deep muscle workout that covers following area:

Abs, core
Waist
Arms, shoulders, back
Thighs, hips, glutes
I don't find the set gloomy, personally. It's his new studio space and I find it soothing, a breath of fresh air... Maybe I'm enjoying it so much because of the heatwave, but I think it's cool.

As usual, I am putting music to Bodymatics and have done bits to see how the music/movement works. I am not sure (I haven't done it all the way through) yet how I like it as a complete workout but I think, broken up, the various parts would make excellent add-ons.

I think this may have started as one thing and ended up as another. I, for one like it a lot and see myself using it frequently... For me, the parts are better than the sum -- but it makes it more dear to me. I have all the Matics but (see below)... This sorts it for me. I find them tighter and more time-efficient than his Xpress workouts.

Plus (dare I say?), I don't like breaking up the other Matics. I prefer to do those whole... Kind of like how I prefer my kundalini practices.

That said, it would be really nice if Hamelin did come out with a bonus 15 minute stretching section for all those who expected it.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-15, 02:59 AM  
in paris

You just really have to love the man and his team -- how great is this?
Quote:
Dear Bodymatics customer.

The new Bodymatics went through a bit of a restructuring than originally planned. Hamelin wanted to include more moves and alter the progress from one body part to the next.

This week he will be back in the studio to record a 15 minute stretch segment to go with the workout. We will send it to you as soon as it becomes available.

Have a great week ahead.

HDM
And, as I was working on the file, I'm thinking it may be better as a whole than I first gave it credit (I came to this conclusion before I got the email above). It really does have a nice flow, and there's an echo of movement at the end that I love.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hamelin d'abell, thighmatics