Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-19, 07:33 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Dena, from what I've read, being a Buddhist simply means devoting yourself to the Buddhist philosophy.

I just finished the Buddhism for Beginners book. It was simple and readable (written by an American-born Buddhist nun), but a bit heavy on the reincarnation aspect for my liking. I liked No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners by Noah Rasheda even better. And I love everything by Kornfield I've ready so far; an added benefit there is that he's a psychologist like me.
It's some of the philosophy that trips me up. LOL Thanks for suggesting Noah Rasheda's book. I'll see if my local library has it.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 08:44 AM  
leigh1673

Just finished The Mother in Law by Sally Hepworth. Highly recommend! It has elements of a thriller/mystery, but is also very touching and insightful about "in law" relationships. 2 thumbs up.

Before that, I read Foe by Iain Reed. It's also a mystery/drama, with some light elements of sci-fi. I also really enjoyed it, but acknowledge it might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Quote:
I recently read The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, and it is excellent.
I loved The Great Alone, too. It had me on the edge of my seat for almost the entire book!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 08:50 AM  
sherry7899

Leigh,I mentioned "The Mother in Law" in the spring thread. I really liked it. I have read all her books.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 08:59 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Leigh,I mentioned "The Mother in Law" in the spring thread. I really liked it. I have read all her books.
Oh I missed that! Yes, I even (unexpectedly) teared up several times in the latter part of the book. Ironically I was at my in-law's lake house while I was reading it. I have a pretty good relationship with mine, but there are still parts of the Lucy and Diana dynamic that I could relate to.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 04:53 PM  
TracyQ

I just starting reading Harlan Coben’s, Run Away.

And am listening to the audio of Sh*tshow!: The Country’s Collapsing and the Ratings are Great, written and narrated by Charlie LeDuff.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 05:39 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Oh I missed that! Yes, I even (unexpectedly) teared up several times in the latter part of the book. Ironically I was at my in-law's lake house while I was reading it. I have a pretty good relationship with mine, but there are still parts of the Lucy and Diana dynamic that I could relate to.
No problem! I was glad to see another fan of her books.

My library got in new releases by Susan Wittig Albert and Jane Green. I do not have high hopes for Jane Green's book, but I will try reading it. I will pick them up tomorrow.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 08:57 PM  
BunnyHop

I just finished listening to the audio cd version of Alan Alda's If I understood you would I have this look on my face?

Read by the author, it's about the importance of effective communication, and what can be done to achieve it. It was really entertaining, and I'm really wondering if the world would benefit if we all took lessons in improv-style acting.
Old 06-14-19, 07:44 AM  
Dabbadooey

I just finished Lost Roses by the author of Lilac Girls. It was really, really good. Now I've begun The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-19, 08:34 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I started a book called Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It. I picked it up at a used book sale after the title caught my eye and bought it even though I knew it wasn't about yoga at all--it's more of a travel memoir. After reading through to the title essay (about 1/3), I decided to abandon it, as I found it overly self-indulgent and not really enjoyable.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-19, 08:41 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I just finished Lost Roses by the author of Lilac Girls. It was really, really good.
I have Lost Roses on my wish list. It's good to hear that her second novel is good. I really enjoyed her first book and look forward to reading the second book.

Sherry - It is weird that I haven't been seeing updates to this thread for the past couple of weeks, so I didn't see your comment about the Amy Reichart book. I really like her books. What are you reading now?

I'm reading a couple of books in series I've read for a long time. The first is To Die But Once, one of the more recent books in the Maisie Dobbs series. And, I'm reading To Be Where You Are, the latest in the Mitford series by Jan Karon.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading