Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-19, 07:52 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Has anyone read Women Rowing North by Mary Pipher?

Some of my friends from church have suggested it. I think they'd like to start a book club sort of thing, and that this would be a good choice that we could read and discuss together.

I've got it on hold at the library, but haven't picked it up yet.
I have not read this book, but I have one friend who liked it (in her 60s) and am in a group of women who are 40-50s and several of them read it and were disappointed in it. I don't know if the age makes a difference, since I have not read it, but my friend in her 60s thought it might have made a difference.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 07:54 PM  
ncl

I am working on some picks from the Summer Reading Guide from Modern Mrs. Darcy blog/What should I read next podcast by Anne Bogel. Right now I am reading The River by Peter Heller and it is fantastic so far!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 05:55 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
I like Mary Kay Andrews High Tide Club-My library had her as a guest speaker last fall. Also loved Hissy Fit

I really liked the Callahan Garrity series that she wrote under the name Kathy Hogan Trocheck, but she said her focus now is her writing as Mary Kay Andrews.

Very nice lady.

Anita
How cool that your library had her as a guest speaker! I really enjoy her books!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 07:05 AM  
Dabbadooey

I recently read The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, and it is excellent. Currently I am reading The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow. This is about drug trafficking and is completely outside of my usual, but it's really good.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 07:34 AM  
Carol K

That's interesting: I have The Power of the Dog by Thomas Savage on my to-read list, which is about something completely different.
Old 06-03-19, 09:14 AM  
anetta

Cher:
My library system is great. They have guest speakers at different branches almost every week.

2 weeks ago I saw Gary John Bishop, he was very good.

Plus the smaller book stores in the St. Louis area sponsor the events, so it gives business to smaller local companies.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 12:32 PM  
sherry7899

I am reading "Salem Falls" by Jodi Picoult (I somehow missed this one. It is slow so far) and "All the Broken Pieces" by Mia Hayes. I like it so far, but I do not know how it was published with so many editing errors.

Laura, I also enjoyed Any Reichart's book.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 03:23 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I am on a Buddhism kick, so I am reading Jack Kornfield's A Wise Heart and Buddhism for Beginners by Thubten Chodron.
I'd be interested in your feedback regarding the two books on Buddhism. I've become very interested in Buddhism this year and would like to learn more about it. I'm thinking of becoming a Buddhist but from what I've learned thus far, I'm not sure my personality would really 'jive' with it.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 03:30 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Dena, from what I've read, being a Buddhist simply means devoting yourself to the Buddhist philosophy.

I just finished the Buddhism for Beginners book. It was simple and readable (written by an American-born Buddhist nun), but a bit heavy on the reincarnation aspect for my liking. I liked No-Nonsense Buddhism for Beginners by Noah Rasheda even better. And I love everything by Kornfield I've ready so far; an added benefit there is that he's a psychologist like me.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 07:00 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
Cher:
My library system is great. They have guest speakers at different branches almost every week.

2 weeks ago I saw Gary John Bishop, he was very good.

Plus the smaller book stores in the St. Louis area sponsor the events, so it gives business to smaller local companies.

Anita
How cool! I live in a small town so our library is small. We usually only get local small town authors for speakers.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading