Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-18, 10:51 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx View Post
I've been reading almost nothing but some free Hope Callaghan books. There was a set of 12 e-books on Kindle Unlimited, 6 Garden Girls, and 6 Cruise Ship mysteries, and I really like them. They aren't very mysterious, but they're cute and I like the characters.
I had never heard of Hope Callaghan but just checked out her books on Amazon. Thanks!
Old 06-18-18, 11:57 AM  
BunnyHop

Still reading Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray. It's a satisfyingly fat book.
Old 06-18-18, 12:09 PM  
sherry7899

I started "Between Me and You" by Allison Winn Scotch. It is very absorbing so far.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 05:45 PM  
difit

I read Us Against You - Fredrik Backman. It's the sequel to Beartown. I didn't like it as much as Beartown. It took longer to get into. The focus seems more on the political drama than the characters that I love from Beartown. I would recommend reading Beartown before you read the sequel.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 12:25 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I just started Force of Nature by Jane Harper, and I can tell it's gonna be great!

I read while walking on the treadmill, and usually go 10+ minutes, depending on how good the book is. I started this, and 30 minutes were gone before I knew it.

I have the feeling I'm going to get some major mileage in on this one, and then "cheat" and read while sitting down

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 06:39 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sherry, I can't believe you gave up on a Marian Keyes! That book definitely sounds tedious though.

I have several updates from my recent vacation:

One Summer by David Baldacci. I have enjoyed Baldacci's Will Robie series and thought this would be a nice change of pace, but it was WAY too schmaltzy for me (and that's coming from someone who watches Hallmark Christmas movies!).

The Shakespeare Project by Julie Schumacher. This is set on a college campus and focuses on college politics, mainly between two rival departments. It was fun--I had several laugh-out-loud moments.

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I would estimate that I first read this 30+ years ago; in may have been one of the first 5 King books I ever read. I saw it at a Little Lending Library in Boston and decided to pick it up, and I am REALLY enjoying it!

My next novel will likely be a re-read as well: after visiting Bermuda last week, I plan to revisit Peter Benchley's The Deep, which is set there.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 07:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My book club just wrapped up The Martian by Andy Weir. I thought it was okay, had to skim through a lot of the science-y ways in which he fixed problems. Those who have seen the movie said the movie is better.

The other book I'm trudging through is The Gray House by Mariam Petrosyan. Has anyone read this? It is L-O-N-G and it's just not making much sense, but I keep going back to try to figure out what's going on. It gets many rave reviews, hopefully it will be worth the struggle.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 07:17 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Beth I'm a Stephen King double reader - triple, quadruple, etc. Danny Glick's vampire nails scraping at the window is one of my top five scariest horror book moments. I still get goosebumps when hail hits the window in winter.

I must have read The Stand at least 15 times.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 08:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, when I used to live in Philadelphia back in graduate school (early 90s), there was a used book store right across the street. I used to pick up used King paperbacks for $1--I still have some of those! The ones I have read the most include The Dead Zone, several of the Dark Tower books, and some of the short stories (Night Shift was my first and probably still my favorite). I do like The Stand and have re-read various parts, but I've actually probably re-watched the TV mini-series even more.

I didn't read The Martian but though the movie was just okay--admittedly, though, I am not really a fan of single-person disaster films (e.g., Gravity).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-18, 10:28 AM  
BunnyHop

Hi everyone!

I haven't checked in here for a while, but I've definitely been enjoying my books. I'd been on a long re-reading kick, but the Stephen Fry memoirs I read earlier seem to have inspired me to seek out new things.

The Madness Season by C. S. Friedman was really entertaining. Not sure how to explain without spoiling the story elements that might be surprising. Big picture? Some really awful aliens have dominated/destroyed human society and taken over pretty much the rest of the universe too. If you like stories set in space and good character based stories, I think you'll like it a lot. Be careful reading reviews elsewhere, some people apparently think nothing of blurting out details that are more fun when you discover them for yourself. Also I liked the humor.

I've also read the second of Libba Bray's The Diviners series, Lair of Dreams. Parts of it were a bit darker than I'd usually like, and there's obviously some plot resolution left for the next book in the series, but I do like this one. Escapist and funny.

After that, I quickly re-read A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, since the third in this series is coming out fairly soon. (Record of a Spaceborn Few)

As a followup I've re-read a few stories in Zenna Henderson's short story collection The Anything Box. Lovely, almost poetical attention to details. She deserves to be more widely known, and a better television adaptation of Ingathering than she got. (They made it into one of those annoyingly slick and violent teens with super powers shows, which doesn't fit her style at all.)

Tags
audio, books, kindle, reading, summer reading