Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-18, 03:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, I am finding CL a bit overwrought right now--I don't really like Kate as an adult so far. But maybe things will change.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 04:42 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I am extremely impressed that you can do this! I can barely look off to the side

Me too!

Some part of me is still traumatized by the way my dad's old computers would crash. I'd inevitably lose some favorite recipe or document.

Guess I just don't trust that things will still be there if my device dies.
Old 06-05-18, 05:53 AM  
Carol K

I'm reading Keep the Home Fires Burning by Simon Block. It continues the story of the cancelled PBS series Home Fires, which was abruptly cancelled after a huge cliff-hanger.
Old 06-05-18, 11:59 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I listened to part of Crazy Rich Asians, and part of the sequel (not really knowing it was a sequel, i just randomly pick out audiobooks sometimes.)

Anyhow, they were both entertaining, but since I didn't finish either, not strong plots in either. I could see how they would make good dramedy tv series and would probably be better than the book that way.

I've turned into a tremendously slow reader and my recent read, that I'll probably actually finish, is Maya's Notebook by Isabele Allende. Can't say that I love it because of the story line, teenager living through very bad choices, but it is good and well written, and even somewhat believable.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 12:21 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
I'm halfway through the print version of Two Steps Forward by the author of The Rosie Project. There's a strong road trip (walking not driving) aspect to it that I think would make a great travel read. It's told from two POVs, male and female, so with the right narrators it's probably a good listen, too.
Thanks - I will check it out. I enjoyed The Rosie Project. I'll also check out Three Women at Water's Edge since Sherry and I have similar tastes.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 12:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I finished Crow Lake. The ending was somewhat redeeming, as it explained the main character's melodrama.

Next up is Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. It is set in Italy and looks like it will be a good pre-vacation read!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 01:30 PM  
alisoncooks

I've been on a book bender this month. I read a few YA books to plan DD's reading list for next school year (The Cay, The View from Saturday).

Then I reread The Hiding Place (Corrie ten Boom). I need to read this every few years.

Then came Nancy Farmer's The House of the Scorpian/The Lord of Opium. Loved this series - I can't believe I'd not read them before.

And I finished up with Beauty Queens by Libba Bray and Dietland - Sarai Walker. These two were so different (Beauty Queens was silly and satirical) but they were both similar in theme.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 03:02 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
... and I finished up with Beauty Queens by Libba Bray ...
Libba Bray! I'd totally forgotten Diviners, but now it seems she's written two more in the series? Yay! Perfect timing, I need something to read.

As for me, I've just finished the Harry Potter series for the millionth time. Started with audio books this winter and made my way slowly through the first few volumes. Toward the end it got too hot for outdoor walking so I switched to actual reading (in the air conditioning.)
Old 06-12-18, 03:21 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I listened to the audiobook of "The Woman in the Window" which was a little slow until the last 1/4 of the book. Then it got really good!

Now I'm listening to the audiobook of "The Dry" by Jane Harper. It's been really interesting so far. I love that the setting is in Australia and they have an Australian narrator.

I just downloaded the audiobook of "The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane" by Lisa See and "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 03:35 PM  
BunnyHop

Oh, oops. Forgot that I've also been reading some of Stephen Fry's memoirs.

Read The Fry Chronicles first (library) and enjoyed it well enough to seek out Moab is My Washpot cheaply in paperback.

Since I really enjoyed his audio books of the Harry Potter series, I got another audio book of his, Ode Less Travelled:Unlocking the Poet Within on cd.

Tags
audio, books, kindle, reading, summer reading