Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-18, 09:30 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Kate, I had the same feeling about the Jenny Colgan book. Hopefully her new one this summer will be better.

I am reading two British psychological suspense books:

Friend Request-Laura Marshall
The Daughter-Lucy Dawson

Both are very absorbing so far.

Sherry
I've been thinking about The Daughter for my next audible -- seems like it's a page turner which I would like right about now.

I did recently listen to Andre Aggassi's Open. I know nothing about tennis, but really enjoyed this book.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 09:43 AM  
sherry7899

Bee- I have less patience for slow moving fiction right now, so I am enjoying psychological suspense.

I will start the book "Other People's Houses" by Abbi Waxman soon. I loved her first book "The Garden of Small Beginnings" so I am eager to read this one.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-18, 05:12 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I read Two Kinds of Truth, a Harry Bosch book. Now, I'm reading Pebble Cove by Mairead O'Driscoll and How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 06:37 AM  
sherry7899

Did anyone read the British book "I Don't Know How She Does It?" Apparently the author wrote a follow up with her kids as teenagers.

How Hard Can It Be?: A Novel Hardcover – June 5, 2018
by Allison Pearson (Author)

I would likely ask my library to order it . I vaguely remember the first book and I think I liked it.

Laura, how is "Finding Love in a Bookshop?" I think I had that on my list of books I want to read

Old 04-11-18, 11:37 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Did anyone read the British book "I Don't Know How She Does It?" Apparently the author wrote a follow up with her kids as teenagers.

How Hard Can It Be?: A Novel Hardcover – June 5, 2018
by Allison Pearson (Author)

I would likely ask my library to order it . I vaguely remember the first book and I think I liked it.
I read it. My mom bought it for me when it came out and my kids were young. She had seen the author on a talk show and said that her situation reminded her of me so she sent me the book. And I actually found time to read it! My recollection is that I enjoyed it but it wasn't all that great. Sounds like the library is a good way to go with the follow up -- I'd certainly be curious about it.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 11:42 AM  
sherry7899

bee, I definitely do not want to spend money on it. I will go the library route.

Old 04-11-18, 11:59 AM  
sherry7899

If you like British writers,please check the site Bookouture. I belong to their Facebook feed. They offer a ton of kindle books for 99 cents or a little higher.
They offer fiction and psychological suspense.

Old 04-11-18, 01:14 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I finished listening to The Giver last night, and... wow. Still processing, but what an amazing read. The stripped down writing style made for a great audio experience, even though I wasn't a big fan of Ron Rifkin as a reader.

After that emotional ride, I am crawling back into the warm, cozy comfort of Jenny Colgan with Christmas at the Little Beach Street Bakery

In my magical baking book binge, I'd also picked up another middle grade called Bliss by Kathryn Littlewood at the library, but it got too silly for me and I DNF'ed.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 06:18 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Click image for larger version

Name:	I Wrecked Your Toilet.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	4596

Has anyone read this?
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 01:50 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I finished listening to The Giver last night, and... wow. Still processing, but what an amazing read. The stripped down writing style made for a great audio experience, even though I wasn't a big fan of Ron Rifkin as a reader. .
Kate, I agree with you on the Giver. I thought it was one of the better dystopian novels out there, ever if young adult. On the other hand, I was underwhelmed by the Maiden's Handbook, good concept, ahead of its time, but probably the least impressive book Atwood has written.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading