Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-18, 08:05 PM  
Judy W.

Another I just have to recommend with all my heart! Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng. So very wise, with fascinating characters and an enigmatic ending. I loved it, and it was hard to let those people go.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:50 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Another I just have to recommend with all my heart! Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng. So very wise, with fascinating characters and an enigmatic ending. I loved it, and it was hard to let those people go.
I liked this one too.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 08:54 PM  
sherry7899

I am reading two psychological suspense books "The Woman at the Window" (which is being made into a movie) and "The Wife Between Us." I'm enjoying both.

I asked my library to order some books for me, and twelve of them came in at the same time! I'm never going to finish them all before they are due. Hopefully I can renew some of them.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 09:01 PM  
alisoncooks

I just finished The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. So entertaining.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 09:03 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I finished an advanced copy novel I received call Tench; it was well-written but disturbing subject matter!

I am working my way through non-fiction books at various paces. I did finish Yoga FAQ and then started Living Yoga. I also started Baron Baptiste's Being of Power, but i'm only reading on my exercise bike. I'm also reading Sharon Saltzberg's Real Happiness and Gretchen Rubin's book on habits.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 09:23 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I just finished The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. So entertaining.
Such a fun name! What kind of story was it?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 09:57 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Books I've read or listened to lately, not best ofs.

Little Fires Everywhere, a very readable book. Lots of interesting people, the plot and themes were a total hot mess. 3/4 of the book is about the characters, 1/4 contains any plot what so ever. The characters make this book and I think a lot of people will like it.

I also read Nutshell by Ian McEwan. It's an adult book told from the perspective a baby in utero, and gets weirder from there. I liked it but don't think many people will.

Book that was on some best of 2017 lists - Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan- another book that is 3/4 done before the plot starts. Add in the fact that it's a historical novel, and the women have current sensibilities and it's not even based on something that happened (she's a diver working on naval ships- never happened), it's long and not that interesting.... I'd read something else.

How to be a Bawse was good, but I'm too old for the advice. She's a youtuber millionaire young woman with advice that amounts to - work hard.

Bored and Brilliant by Manoush Zomoradi- talks about turning off our electronics and letting our minds wander so we can be more creative and increase problem solving. I liked it, but not much to it. Since solutions and ideas seem to come to me in the shower, it's true for me.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-18, 10:01 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Such a fun name! What kind of story was it?
It's a sort-of dark comedy about a man (100 years old), on the run from his nursing home. Comedy of errors, lots of chance encounters and interesting characters. Current storyline is interspersed with the story of the man's life (from childhood on). The flashbacks are Forrest Gump-esque (as he meets famous political figures and influences history).

Author is Jonas Jonasson.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-18, 10:58 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I cannot imagine listening to books in the car. (This is an opinion about me and me only - not other people.) I tried listening in the car one time years ago. I found that I listen to books the way I read them - I picture everything about what is going on, the people, the setting, etc. I am in the book, not where I am. When I almost plowed into the back of a car in front of me, I decided that I'd better forgo listening to books in the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
I'm like you, Laura. I absolutely love audiobooks and probably use them for 75% of my "reading," but I cannot drive and listen to a book. I need to pay attention to the road, and if I'm listening to a book, that isn't going to happen. However, I do a lot of housework (washing dishes, doing laundry, dusting, etc.) and walk while listening to audiobooks.
A few years ago, I was listening to Wolf Hall in the car and accidentally ended up taking an exit that took me over the Ben Franklin or Walt Whitman Bridge out of NJ and into Philadelphia. This was when they were doing work on 95 and the traffic was a nightmare. Which is why I didn't listen to audio books in the car for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I recently got the first Harry Potter on cd, (read by Stephen Fry) and find that I can listen to that while I drive. The familiarity of it is a help.

I've never had much success with other audio books, though, as others have said, it can be a dangerous distraction.
Yes I enjoyed the audio versions of the Harry Potter series. However I did listen to one or two of them after I read them so that was less distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I used to not be able to listen to books and drive either but I started getting easier to read/listen to books (nothing complex in language or plot) and/or listening to books I have read already and that helps!

Donna
Yes this is the key for me as well. Wolf Hall was really hard to follow (even reading it was hard to follow) which is why I wasn't paying attention to the road and ended up taking an unplanned visit to Philadelphia during rush hour!

I just got done listening to "Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah and this was a very good book to experience via audio. No complex plot or cast of characters with similar names (there were 4-5 different characters named Mary in Wolf Hall) and it was entertaining and interesting. Noah was the narrator and I loved the different voices and accents he used for different people. Reminded me of Angela's Ashes narrated by Frank McCourt.

I highly recommend Born a Crime. It was interesting to hear about apartheid from someone who experienced it and its aftermath. The stories of his childhood and teenage years were heartbreaking and hilarious especially those involving his mother. I was crying at the end. I was literally sitting in my garage 30 minutes ago listening to the last part of it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 09:39 AM  
leigh1673

Started "The Good Daughter" by Karin Slaughter this week. So far it's OK. Have heard good things about it.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading