Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-17, 02:08 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have spent years purging/decluttering my bookshelves. Now I find there are some books I wish I hadn't gotten rid of. Does anyone do that?

Sherry
I can't say that's happened to me with books as I'm pretty ruthless with donating them. Now I can't say the same about workout DVDs, lol, have had trader/seller's remorse more than a few times! Most of the time I get ebooks from the library or buy them on my kindle, especially when I'm traveling.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 06:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sherry - It has gotten better. Now that I've figured out who people are and how they are tied together, it is flowing better. Still not her best, but I'm not considering stopping reading either.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 07:33 AM  
sherry7899

Pam- thanks! I am mainly regretting getting rid of books I was sentimental about.

Laura- thank you! My library should get it soon.

I finished Melissa Hill 's book. It was very engrossing and well written. I do think her writing is becoming less Irish if that makes sense. Aside from mentioning towns in Ireland this book could have been set anywhere. I miss the usage of Irish expressions and mentions of food and culture. It was missing from this book. I hope that is not a trend tor her future books. This book also included a trial. I am sick of books with court scenes- I guess she is trying to emulate Jodi Picoult's books.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 08:07 AM  
sherry7899

For fans of Ruth Rendell- The streaming service Britbox has miniseries based on her books.

Old 09-09-17, 09:22 AM  
BunnyHop

I'm still reading Charlie Holmberg's The Fifth Doll. It's enjoyable, and so far I do like it better than her last one (Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet).

I've made an effort to whittle down my book collection pretty much forever, but my success varies. I've learned to keep things I know I want to reread, and stuff that's got a strong sentimental bond for me (stuff from childhood, those extra special favorites that I might not read anymore unless I have the flu).

I'm slowly learning not to buy certain types of books, but every once in a while I backslide.

My latest challenge has been deciding whether to ditch some of the mass market paperbacks I used to read all the time but now no longer touch (Steven King, Mercedes Lackey). I have a ton of it, and I get the feeling I won't be going back there. King I can always get at the library, and I've just moved on from Lackey.

Once I do that I'll have a ton of shelf space, which would be nice.

I really shouldn't have joined the Silent Book Club on Facebook, I keep finding new titles/authors to explore. I've been diligent about only seeking out their recs at the library, which helps.

So many books, so little time.
Old 09-09-17, 11:52 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I can't say that's happened to me with books as I'm pretty ruthless with donating them.
This is true for me too. I have a very small collection of books I keep, but most I donate. DH is another story...

I recently finished an adult Judy Blume book, In the Unlikely Event. I liked it overall with a few minor issues.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 12:33 PM  
sherry7899

My dh never gets rid of books. His are all non fiction. Luckily he does not buy as many as I do.

I kept a small amount of childhood and tern books. The ones I am sorry I did not keep are ones I bought in London on our honeymoon. They are mysteries which I generally do not read again. At the time I donated them my library had all of them on their shelves but now they do not anymore.

Anna- what is the Silent Book Club on Facebook?

Old 09-09-17, 02:54 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
... Anna- what is the Silent Book Club on Facebook?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/166564577040612/

Just a Facebook group where everybody talks about books.

I haven't been a member long, but since I like talking about books I thought I'd give it a try. (I find reddit kind of a drag, since there's always an equal chance somebody's gonna downvote you for pretty much no reason.)
Old 09-09-17, 05:12 PM  
Messe

I shared this article about Silent Book Clubs on a Facebook page I manage: http://www.chroniclebooks.com/blog/2017/08/23/start-silent-book-club/. I am intrigued enough by this idea to be thinking about starting a local club.

I picked up a few new books today: the ARC of The Twelve-Mile Straight by Eleanor Henderson (author of Ten Thousand Saints), If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss, and Zadie Smith's Swing Time. Not sure which one to read first!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 05:52 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

As far as my reading goes, I have way too many books but that's because I buy books faster than I can read them. Once I've read them, they are GONE. In the past, we have done a lot of teaching at marriage enrichment events and in our church. We keep books that might come in handy with that. I'm going through and getting rid of a lot of those books and keeping those that might still be used - usually ones with exercises and ideas for activities in classes.
We'll be moving next year, so I'm trying to cut down on the number of books I have on hand in both categories.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading