Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-17, 06:50 AM  
Sandrine

[/QUOTE ]
On my nightstand: the ARC for Wiley Cash's latest novel (The Last Ballad, to be released October 3) and Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo. I also want to reread Station Eleven before the local NEA Big Read begins next month.[/QUOTE]

I'm envious on this. My city used to do the Big Read but stopped after 2 or 3 years due to costs. And Station Eleven will be a great book for that. I never liked science fiction until I read it and Fahrenheit 451, which was our last Big Read. Have a great time with it!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 06:56 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Reading Tower of Dawn....the latest in the Throne of Glass series.
Just finished Glass Houses.
Then on to Western Star.
It's been a great month for new releases.
Old 09-06-17, 07:45 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
[/QUOTE ]
On my nightstand: the ARC for Wiley Cash's latest novel (The Last Ballad, to be released October 3) and Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo. I also want to reread Station Eleven before the local NEA Big Read begins next month.
I'm envious on this. My city used to do the Big Read but stopped after 2 or 3 years due to costs. And Station Eleven will be a great book for that. I never liked science fiction until I read it and Fahrenheit 451, which was our last Big Read. Have a great time with it![/QUOTE]

I plan to, Sandrine! Book discussions, pandemic board games at library branches, and a visit from Emily St. John Mandel as the grand finale — what's not to love?

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:36 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Anna, PD James and Ruth Rendell are two different people, though both were prolific and given life peerages as Baronesses.

Rendell did originally write her Inspector Wexford books under her own name and some of her stand alone psychological suspense under the name Barbara Vine. My favorites of hers are Judgement in Stone and her first Barbara Vine, A Dark-Adapted Eye.

But it would be hard to go wrong with anything written by either of them.
Yes, they most definitely are two different people. I'd forgotten that RR also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 09:45 AM  
sherry7899

I have spent years purging/decluttering my bookshelves. Now I find there are some books I wish I hadn't gotten rid of. Does anyone do that?

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-17, 11:12 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Anna, PD James and Ruth Rendell are two different people, though both were prolific and given life peerages as Baronesses.

Rendell did originally write her Inspector Wexford books under her own name and some of her stand alone psychological suspense under the name Barbara Vine. My favorites of hers are Judgement in Stone and her first Barbara Vine, A Dark-Adapted Eye.

But it would be hard to go wrong with anything written by either of them.

Barbara Vine!! I knew there was a pseudonym there someplace. Thanks for helping my memory.

I think I've read more Ruth Rendell, not sure why.

Checked out 5 PD James books at the library this AM. Now I'm all set.
Old 09-06-17, 12:18 PM  
sherry7899

If you like older British mysteries, I loved the Inspector Thanet series by Dorothy Simpson and all the psychological suspense books by Margaret Yorke.

Sherry

Old 09-07-17, 11:36 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading The Street Where You Live, Roisin Meaney's latest. It's probably my least favorite book of hers. I'm reading the Kindle version and there don't seem to be any chapter divisions. There may be some, but, if so, they have been so long ago that I've forgotten them. And, I keep having to refigure out how people are. Anyway, it's still good enough that I'm reading it, but I'm hoping her next one is better.

And, I continue to read Remembering Dresden, a mystery by Dan Walsh. It has been an interesting story and I feel like I'm learning some WWII history.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-17, 12:46 PM  
sherry7899

Laura- my library is ordering Roisin Meaney's book. I am glad I did not buy it!
I picked up Melissa Hill's newest book from my library and will start it tonight.

Old 09-07-17, 01:42 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
If you like older British mysteries, I loved the Inspector Thanet series by Dorothy Simpson and all the psychological suspense books by Margaret Yorke.
Sherry
I haven't read any Margaret Yorke for years but I did like her. Also Frances Fyfield. She had both a series featuring Prosecutor Helen West and stand alones.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading