Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-17, 10:49 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar rose View Post
... and I remember one of them saying "Apples do not go far when you are starving."
What a neat thing to remember! Those stories were so wonderfully imaginative, with what seem to me like real children. So many books these days are full of super heroes in the making, damaged souls in search of repair and redemption, or some such awkward and melodramatic combination. Ordinary people seem like a refreshing change of pace.

I need to re-read those. For some reason I don't have any E. Nesbit books of my own, but did manage to save the Edward Eager ones.

Yes, the Robin Hobb was huge, heavy, and really dark. It felt like a slog to be honest. The very end, the actual ending, was fine with me, but the process of getting there took forever, not sure why. Here's hoping her pacing changes with her next works.

I don't remember how long it took me to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, but don't have any unhappy or uncomfortable memories of struggling to finish it. I do remember seeing the series on dvd, and thinking to myself that I should re-read it, since I think the book I remembered was vastly different than the show, and I wasn't sure if that was a result of some failure of my imagination or not. Thanks for reminding me of that one, I'll put it on the to-re-read pile.

I'm currently binge watching Poirot episodes on library dvds. I discovered that it's one of those shows you can listen to and follow the action perfectly well, so I've been cooking, cleaning and doing yoga like legs up the wall pose.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is a good book, but I'm reading it slowly on purpose, just a bit at bedtime, til I get sleepy.

Haven't yet started Arabella of Mars, guess it's next.
Old 06-12-17, 09:00 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Has anyone found that their taste in books has been changing lately? I went through my shelves looking for books to donate to my library for their book sale. I have moved on from cozy mysteries. I need books with a quicker paced storyline. I have also gotten sick of books with multiple women friends with each of them having their own storyline, or what I have termed "angst fiction"-books that just have storylines that are too depressing.
Sherry, I meant to reply to you before--am just getting back to you now.

I think my tastes have changed here and there. Right now I'm reading one of my favorite authors, Dean Koontz, but the book (The City, which I mentioned above) came out a few years ago, so I obviously didn't rush to read it. I will still read anything by Stephen King, and I keep up with his work, pretty much. Another of my favorite authors is Jonathan Kellerman (a psychologist who writes thrillers), but I think I am a few books behind on his latest work.

I am still reading cozy mysteries, mainly because if I am busy, I enjoy books that are light and easy. I never really liked reading series before, but now I have a few that I'm reading that are decent, The Booktown Mysteries and two yoga-themed ones. (Of course, I'm still reading Joanne Fluke, but very reluctantly!)

Like you, I'm not reading much women's fiction anymore. For me, it's not so much the "angst" part as that the women now are much younger than me! It seems weird to read about young women dating, etc. when that's just not where I am in life. I might read that once and awhile if it's more of a comedy, but I'm just not as interested. The one area that I've REALLY seem to have given up on in my reading is historical fiction. I used to read A LOT in this genre, way back to my Victoria Holt days as a teen (still love her!). I think the increased popularly started to turn me off. For example, I read and loved The Other Boleyn Girl (I've always liked the Tudor area), but I couldn't really get into the rest of the books from the series (I think I only read one more).

And don't even get me started on Outlander! I LOVED the first two books, at least enjoyed the next 1-2 two, but things really started to go downhill from there. I made it through to book six, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, but I couldn't go on from there. Part of me is curious to know what happens, but I was just slogging through, and I really didn't like the way that the author was writing anymore.

Lately I'm also reading more non-fiction: I have a lot of yoga-related books on my TBR list! But since I'm off work in the summer, I try to get in a lot of pleasure reading as well. I will finish my Koontz book, read my yoga series book I got from the library, check the library for the next Booktown mystery book...oh, and maybe also pick up another book by Kate Morton from the library. I loved The House at Riverton--which is not quite historical fiction if it's only last century, right?--so if anyone has a suggestion for which book of hers to read next, let me know!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 09:58 AM  
sherry7899

Beth, thanks for your reply. I gave up on the books about women dating ages ago, since I'm 48 and married. The "women's angst" books are ones that are about women of any age really, that are just too depressing. I get depressed enough watching the news. I don't want to read much about anything depressing anymore! I still have a couple of cozy mysteries left in my TBR pile and might give them another try before deciding whether to keep them or not. I have just found they move too slowly for me.

The only non-fiction I've really gotten into are music/pop culture biographies. I do have a stack of yoga books to read. I also bought a book about empaths because I think I fit the category and want something helpful to read about it.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 10:28 AM  
Judy W.

I finished and heartily recommend 'City of Light' by Lauren Belfer. It's a great tale set in Buffalo and Niagara Falls at the beginning of the last century, and concerns the beginnings of electrification in America. Actual characters make appearances, including former (at that time) President Grover Cleveland, whose character is quite a bit less than honorable. Others are President William McKinley and Vice President Theodore Roosevelt, and the assassination of the former and ascension to President of the latter are side notes in the novel. The main character is headmistress of a prestigious girls' school. There is political intrigue far removed from what we endure today, and of course a few deep dark secrets to be revealed. It's extremely well written. I really enjoyed it!

I also finished 'Gwendy's Button Box' by Stephen King and Richard Chizmar. It's short, but quite riveting and thought provoking.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 05:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Judy, I read City of Light years ago and enjoyed it too. Thanks for recommending the new SK also; I as wondering about that one.

I finished my Dean Koontz book today.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 06:12 PM  
hollymarie

I love David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter mystery series about a lawyer with a sense of humor who runs a dog rescue.

Another favorite author, Mary Alice Monroe, has a new one, Beach House Memories. Her books are mainly set in the low county of SC, and always have some kind of theme involving nature.

I wondered if anyone has read the Neapolitan Quartet, starting with My Brilliant Friend, by Elena Ferrante. It was historical fiction set in Naples in the 1950's. I listened to it on audio and it was amazing.

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 08:24 AM  
muggle

I'm just finishing "Saving CeeCee Honeycut" by Beth Hoffman. If you enjoyed "The secret life of Bee's" then give this a try. I'm listening to the audiobook and the southern genteel way of speaking is balm for the soul. Its about a young girl from Ohio who goes to live w/ her Aunt in Savannah. I highly recommend it. It might make you want to eat fruit cobbler, pecan pie and buttermilk biscuits!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 04:37 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I read The Last Chance Matinee by Mariah Stewart, the first in her new series. It was a major cliffhanger at the end, which wasn't good, but it was a quick, easy, well-written read. I've always liked her books.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 09:10 PM  
BunnyHop

Has anyone read Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire?

I saw it referenced somewhere, read a sample and got a copy from the library.
Old 06-22-17, 06:10 AM  
antbuko

Has anyone read the Kingfountain series by Jeffrey Wheeler? I am on book 3 and I am hooked! ☺

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading