Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-17, 12:47 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been enjoying the Poirot series on dvd from the library, but did manage to find some books to read:

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Arabella of Mars by David Levine

Almost picked up the new book by Alan Alda at the bookstore, but resisted, since it's likely to be the sort of thing that winds up a the library after a while.
Old 06-09-17, 02:07 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I'm about 3/4 through Dean Koontz's The City, which is a few years old. I have read quite a bit of Koontz, although not much lately; this novel reads somewhat differently than his older works, which seemed to have a very familiar cadence. Still, it's suspenseful, and I've been moving through it fairly quickly.

I have a book on yin yoga to review, and I just got Anna Guest-Jelley's Curvy Yoga from the library, so I need to work that in as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 05:19 AM  
sherry7899

Has anyone found that their taste in books has been changing lately? I went through my shelves looking for books to donate to my library for their book sale. I have moved on from cozy mysteries. I need books with a quicker paced storyline. I have also gotten sick of books with multiple women friends with each of them having their own storyline, or what I have termed "angst fiction"-books that just have storylines that are too depressing.

I am also donating books I will never read again.

I actually now have shelf space!

Anna-thanks for the reminder about the Alan Alda book. I am going to see if my library has it. Alan Alda is doing a book signing at at a Barnes and Noble in NYC . My DH was thinking of going.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 07:49 AM  
BunnyHop

My tastes have been changing in recent years, too.

Some of it stems from the year I started keeping track of books I read and finished within the year. Once I'd done that for twelve whole months I began to realize that my preferences weren't quite what I'd assumed.

I like lighter stuff, less angst, less violence, and nothing too dark and gloomy. I like it when an author is in control of the story they want to tell and I hate it when they use not-quite-the-right-word. Text editing software that can't spot a homonym and the people who use it badly really irk me. (I've seen a lot of really confusing homonyms that make no sense. A real editor would have spotted it, every time.)

I prefer to believe that I'm not a total pedant, for all that I like well crafted books, artfully structured stories, and the Oxford comma.

OTOH, I don't much like fluff, either. Wit and genuine humor are a plus, but I don't care for things to be too silly. (Novels which reveal that the whole thing was just a joke really annoy me, so I approach cozy novels with caution.)

I recently veered off course a bit with all that Robin Hobb, but as I was recovering from surgery, needed SOMETHING to hold my attention that wasn't a chore, and anticipating her new book, I guess it's not too much of a change.

FWIW, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is starting out to be a good read so far. I probably shouldn't have started it at bedtime.
Old 06-10-17, 09:27 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yeah, my tastes have changed. I read more British and Irish authors than I ever did. And, I read less mysteries. I still read them, but a specific type I like - no cozies and authors like Michael Connolley, Tricia Fields, Victoria Thompson. I've realized in recent years that, for me, it's all about the story.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 09:45 AM  
sherry7899

Laura-I feel directly responsible for you reading more Irish/British books . I think I enjoy psychological suspense more than straight mysteries. I feel like there is more character development.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 02:20 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sherry - Oh, you are completely responsible. . And, what a great thing you did for me.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 07:57 PM  
donnamp

Sherry & Laura - you may like this one that I just finished -

My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry

https://www.amazon.com/My-Husbands-W...sband%27s+wife

I am now reading an Ann Hood book which is "angst-y"

I think I have moved away from angst as well. I like historical fiction and historical mysteries and, of course, Irish/British authors, also thanks to Sherry!

Laura - I think I read Something Dangerous, too. I enjoy Penny's books - they are definitely good vacation reads.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 10:13 PM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I think I enjoy psychological suspense more than straight mysteries. I feel like there is more character development.
I agree - that's why I like Ruth Rendell's books so much. I especially liked most of the books she wrote under her pseudonym Barbara Vine, which move from the past to the present and back. I was so upset when she died in 2015, because there weren't going to be any more books from her. I don't think she's as popular here as she is in the UK.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 10:32 PM  
sugar rose

Anna - I can't believe you finished the Robin Hobb book (800+ pages) in a week. You must be a very fast reader (unlike myself). It took me three weeks to read Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (780 pp) and that was only because I read it every spare second. I was so engrossed in it - & saw myself in a couple of the characters.

By the way, Anna, I remember your post about re-reading childhood favorites E. Nesbit and Edward Eager, and I wanted to tell you that I loved them too! I remember a part in one of Edward Eager's books where the children had to mind some guy's apple cart because he went somewhere, or he was kidnapped or something, and he was gone so long that they started to get really hungry and ate some of the apples, (keeping track of how many they ate so they could pay the guy back,) and I remember one of them saying "Apples do not go far when you are starving."

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading