Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-16, 07:31 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I just finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. I loved this book. Disclaimer: You need to skim(or skip) the portions where one the main characters philosophizes ad nauseum, unless you are into such things of course. There are quite a few of these sections but they do not necessarily add to the story except to highlight that the character (the concierge) is intelligent, well read and self taught. This is important to the story, how someone many dismiss as uneducated can be misunderstood but was overdone IMO.

The book is narrated by the two main characters a writing technique that I usually do not like but works well here. It is both funny and sad and the characters were sympathetic if grumpy. It is translated well from the original French. I recommend it highly.
I read this book a few years ago after my MIL gave it to me. I found the first 1/3 or so rather plodding, but after the third main character was introduced, things changed for me, and I wound up really enjoying it.

I am currently reading The Queen of Palmyra about race relations in the early 60s--actually, it's another book from my MIL! I couldn't find any Joe Hill at the book sale this past week, but I picked up a few other novels, several nice non-fiction books, and a complete PiYO set for just $2! (Had to throw that one in here!)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 07:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Beth,
Lynn mentions a few books that I liked as well:
The Goldfinch- Donna Tartt I liked it although it was too long, Not worthy of a Pulitzer but kind of a fun read
The Circle - Dave Eggers (underrated- the plot and commentary- excellent, execution, not so much.Agree on this. A great book for discussion
Tell the Wolves I'm Home- Rifka A book group selection that I really liked. Someone described it upthread
Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Joyce A sweet but sad book

I liked The Boys in the Boat but I don't think you read non-fiction, do you? If you do The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson is excellent too and has been out awhile so you might find it at the book sale.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 07:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Looks like we cross-posted, Leslie! I do read some non-fiction, mostly books on yogic and Buddhist philosophy and biographies/memoirs. I'll look for more of the recommendations at our next sale!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 07:46 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

We selected the books for the year ahead at our annual book party last week. This is what was selected:
“Reconstructing Amelia” by Kimberly McCreight- – 400 Pgs
“Just Mercy” by Bryan Stevenson – 368 Pgs
“The Rosie Project” by Graeme Simsion – 295 Pgs
“The Nest” by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney – 368 Pgs
“The Underground Railroad” by Colson Whitehead = 320 Pgs
“The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” by Rebecca Skloot – 381 Pgs
“Dead Wake” by Erik Larson – 480 Pgs
“Becoming Nicole” by Amy Ellis Nutt – 320 Pgs
“The Museum of Extraordinary Things” by Alice Hoffman – 384 Pgs
“When Breath Becomes Air” by Paul Kalanithi – 256 pgs
“Euphoria” by Lily King – 288 Pgs
“The Last Painting of Sara de Vos” by Dominic Smith – 304 Pgs

I have already read Just Mercy and The Rosie Project and liked them but of course they were very different books. I will be reading Dead Wake soon for my other group and a lot of the others have been on my want to read list for quite some time. So I think it will be a good year for books. Last year we picked a lot of duds!

ETA: I see now that we picked 5 non-fiction books which is a record for us I think.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 08:44 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Oh Julie....I just finished Truly, madly, guilty!! It took a while to get into it but in the end I enjoyed it. Certainly not my favorite oF hers but i still liked it. It was interesting to see each relationship unfold. "The couple next door" is on my wait list at the library too. Check back in and give us your thoughts. It looks great
muggle, the book had kind of the opposite effect on me. I was really liking it then about 3/4 of the way in it started to drag on me. I did like it more than most of her others though (haven't read her first two yet). I agree on the relationships unfolding. It wasn't the "event" so much that intrigued me as it was the characters and their relationships. She does such a great job with this! I'll definitely let you know my thoughts on The Couple Next Door. It's definitely one that's hard to put down!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 08:47 AM  
Jewels5

lreidgreen your list looks great. Our group has had some uninteresting reads for me this year. I have wanted to read The Elegance of the Hedgehog forever--glad to know you loved it!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 02:37 PM  
loulou

I'm in the middle of reading "Good Vibrations. My Life as a Beach Boy" by Mike Love. Not my usual kind of book but I purchased the e-book for my brother who is a fan of the Beach Boys and musician biographies. It has been a very good read. The book is getting publicity now because a (small) section refers to Dennis Wilson's interactions with Charles Manson and Love's contact with him. There are numerous photos included from Love's past and present. He is very involved in Eastern spirituality starting with Transcendental Meditation back in the 60's. Interesting.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 02:55 PM  
PhyllisG

Our book clubs last pick was A.M. Holmes Music for Torching. Strange book about suburbia ...a farce. Only 2 out of 7 members liked it. Me and the person who suggested it. Next up is The Family Fang forget the author.
Personally I have been reading Charles Todd Bess Crawford mysteries about a British nurse during WWI. He and his mother are the authors of the Ian Rutledge detective series.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 04:13 PM  
Melrose

BunnyHop, many thanks. I think I'll hang in there, as I received the first 5 books as a gift set.
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 05:51 PM  
BunnyHop

I felt inspired to re-read the first Temeraire novel (again). It's my favorite of the series, but even so, bits of it make me sad.

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading