Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-16, 04:55 PM  
shelleyann

I finished We Were Liars and it was very unusual, but also a bit of downer and very shocking. I do like twists and turns, so that was fun, but it left me a bit melancholy. The writing was really unique and I liked that, and I'm glad I read it, but it was odd.

Now I'm reading The City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare, the last of the Mortal Instruments series. It's a chunker!

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:04 PM  
alisoncooks

This week I flew through part of the Little House series. I read from The Banks of Plum Creek through The First 4 Years.

Now I have the annotated Pioneer Girl checked out from the library & I'll be perusing it next.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 07:04 AM  
BunnyHop

In recent days I've finished both the new Louise Penny A Great Reckoning, and The League of Dragons by Naomi Novik.

I enjoyed both.

My tastes seem to have shifted in recent years, I'm just not interested in reading anything too grim/dark/violent, so I wasn't sure how I'd like the new Louise Penny. For all that much of what goes on in Three Pines is more cozy mystery in tone than grim (and frequently comic), the series as a whole has a very dark core. (Police corruption/people doing terrible things kind of winds through the entire series.) This time, yes, more evil, but again, the focus is more on the efforts of those fighting back, and why it matters.

The new Temeraire novel was also good, though I'm sad that this is apparently the end of the series. I wish the series had focused more on the dragons than the warfare, but did find the new book a satisfying story, and the author seems to have left the door open for more.
Old 09-17-16, 10:52 AM  
anetta

Alison:

I always have and still do the Little House Books, Have you read any books by
Kathleen Ernest? She has a book called Death on the Prairie a mystery that follows the travels of the Ingalls family.

I just started this author, I like her books.

Just finished reading The Heirloom Murders from her.

Now reading Jude Deveraux The Girl from Summer Hill

I love the library!
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 11:20 AM  
sherry7899

I've been re-reading Maeve Binchy's books. I feel like "comfort reading" right now.

I did finally pick up "The Girl on The Train. " I know I'm really far behind on reading that book. I saw a trailer for the movie, so that piqued my interest. Amazon had the paperback for a good price. I will start it soon.

Alison-I adore the "Little House " series. If you want a non-fiction take about Laura Ingalls Wilder's life, there is a book by Donald Zochert (I will have to look up the title). My aunt was a librarian and gave me the Little House series when I was seven. I still have the set I loved the tv show also, of course.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 05:05 PM  
Melrose

Gah - I'm late to the party, mostly because I don't have HBO, but I'm in the middle of Game of Thrones. Holy-moly, so violent! But I do love some of the characters, and the author is very good at setting a scene.

Still, I'm on Book Three, and they all have about a thousand pages. I've heard there's now a Season 7, so I guess there's a Book 7.

Is the commitment worth it?
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 05:26 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose View Post
...I've heard there's now a Season 7, so I guess there's a Book 7.

Is the commitment worth it?
This is one of those incomplete series whose new books seem to be always rumored, but not yet written.

Big sprawling story with no end in sight, I'm assuming because the tv show has drawn the author's attention away. (I wish him all the best, giant piles of gold and every happiness, but I wish he'd finish the series!)

The violence doesn't get less intense, but IIRC, I think I liked some of the later books better than the early ones. Haven't re-read since stuff that dark isn't to my taste these days.

Will it ever end? Who knows?

ETA: books six and seven don't yet exist, except as titles on goodreads, FWIW.
Old 09-17-16, 06:23 PM  
Jewels5

I finished listening to the audiobook of Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty.

I started The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. I'm only one chapter in but so far so good.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 07:10 PM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
I finished listening to the audiobook of Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty.

I started The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. I'm only one chapter in but so far so good.
Oh Julie....I just finished Truly, madly, guilty!! It took a while to get into it but in the end I enjoyed it. Certainly not my favorite oF hers but i still liked it. It was interesting to see each relationship unfold. "The couple next door" is on my wait list at the library too. Check back in and give us your thoughts. It looks great
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 07:19 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I just finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. I loved this book. Disclaimer: You need to skim(or skip) the portions where one the main characters philosophizes ad nauseum, unless you are into such things of course. There are quite a few of these sections but they do not necessarily add to the story except to highlight that the character (the concierge) is intelligent, well read and self taught. This is important to the story, how a person may be dismissed by others as uneducated and can be misunderstood but it was overdone IMO.

The book is narrated by the two main characters a writing technique that I usually do not like but works well here. It is both funny and sad and the characters were sympathetic if grumpy. It is translated well from the original French. I recommend it highly.

I now have to read Dead Wake in less than a week for my other book group. I started it months ago had to put it down and now have to start over since I don't remember a lot of it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading