Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-16, 02:58 PM  
muggle

Ah! "Tell the wolves I'm home". Is on my library list! How was it? I have about 90 books and books on cd on my list so sometimes I forget what they're about.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 05:48 PM  
BunnyHop

An older book that I always seem to spot at used book sales is Addie Pray by Joe David Brown. It was adapted into the movie Paper Moon and is now still in print under the Paper Moon title.

If you spot it, give it a look. I've always thought the book was much, much better than the movie, even if Tatum O'Neal did give a good performance.

It was one of my mom's favorite books, and I managed to hang on to her old copy, but I also snag a few as I spot them, just to share.
Old 09-12-16, 06:08 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading Driftwood Point by Mariah Stewart, what is supposed to be the last in this long (and good) series. And I'm reading Murder on Gramercy Park, the next in the Gaslight Murder Series. I'm enjoying it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 06:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Beth - If you've never read it, it's old, but good - Word of Honor by Nelson DeMille. I, who never re-read books, have re-read that one a couple of times. Good luck finding something you like.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 06:13 PM  
muddjeansgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations!

Lynn, I did read & love Joyland, but I hand't really thought to try one of Joe Hill's books (we did see the movie Horns and liked it though). Good idea!
Heart Shaped Box is a good one too.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 08:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I appreciate all of the additional suggestions--I will try to look for them!

At the HUGE sale we always go to Columbus Day weekend, things are easier to find, as everything is in very specific categories, and the fiction at least is alphabetized. However, the prices are more expensive, $4 for both hardcovers and paperbacks (except trade paperbacks). So, I'm more selective at that sale--I tend to focus more on DVDs (usually have a pretty decent selection of fitness ones), yoga books, and other specialty items.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 08:03 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Wanted to thank someone here for mentioning Breakfast with Buddha. I don't remember who, but I remember I heard about it here. I just finished it and really enjoyed it.
I think it was me; LOVED these books! There is a Lunch with Buddha and Dinner with Buddha too--I just read this last one over the summer, and the way it end, I think that Dessert with Buddha must be in the works for the future.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-12-16, 08:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I think it was me; LOVED these books! There is a Lunch with Buddha and Dinner with Buddha too--I just read this last one over the summer, and the way it end, I think that Dessert with Buddha must be in the works for the future.
Well, thanks! I started Lunch today!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 08:10 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
I'm not sure how old these books are as they might be too recent for a sale but...."The vacationers" cute and quick, "In a dark, dark wood" psychological suspense, "Finding Bernadette" a mother trying to figure out what happened to her daughter. "Big little lies" Lianne Moriarty. Lianne also wrote "The husbands secret", "What Alice forgot", they were good. I'm sure there are more swimming around my head.....just can't think straight right now. I also like stuff from David Baldacci, John Kellerman, too many to pick from.
Muggle, I've read all of Jonathan Kellerman's (assuming that's who you meant!) books; being a psychologist myself, they resonate with me! I did read a book by David Baldacci that I liked; I should probably try more by him.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-13-16, 03:56 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Ah! "Tell the wolves I'm home". Is on my library list! How was it? I have about 90 books and books on cd on my list so sometimes I forget what they're about.
Different, well written, bittersweet. Had a YA heroine even though it is an adult book and deals with coming of age with an uncle with AIDS.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading