Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-16, 08:32 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Leigh,
I read Big Little Lies in a day. It is my fave Moriarty book and I have read most of them
Yes I hate how fast BLL is going. I want it to last longer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have posted this site before, but in case anyone missed it-they have a monthly newsletter where I get a lot of book suggestions. I love British authors, so it's right up my alley:

http://www.lovereading.co.uk/

Enjoy!
Sherry

Liane Moriarty has a new book coming out next month. My library already ordered it at my request.
Yes! I saw the description for her new book when I purchased this one and I am definitely getting it on Kindle when it comes out!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-16, 09:58 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have posted this site before, but in case anyone missed it-they have a monthly newsletter where I get a lot of book suggestions. I love British authors, so it's right up my alley:

http://www.lovereading.co.uk/

Enjoy!
Sherry

Liane Moriarty has a new book coming out next month. My library already ordered it at my request.
I follow Book Riot and get lots of good recommendations from them. Book Bub also has some good blog posts with suggested reading. I'll add lovereading to my feed. Thanks, Sherry!
Old 06-07-16, 02:05 PM  
Judy W.

I recently finished Celia's House by D. E. Stevenson. The book was originally published in 1943, and is the story of a British family between the years of 1905 to 1942. Completely "G Rated", it was the most wonderfully simple, loving, funny, sad and moving story! I loved each and every page and will be looking for others by this wonderful author.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-16, 05:59 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Listened to Cullen's Columbine book. Just made me remember how badly the press, the governor, the sheriff's office (they flat out lied about what they knew and previous complaints that one of the killers was building pipe bombs, destroyed reports, criminal stuff) and Franklin Graham were. The timeline and info in Kliebold's book were pretty accurate. She did gloss over some of her son's behavior, but that isn't a surprise.

She Poured Her Heart Out by Jean Thompson, a recent release I read as a review copy fro NetGalley. I found that I kept reading this book, and enjoyed reading it even though all of the characters were all sad, lonely and ... don't want to spoil but they did not treat each other well.

Currently reading My Heart Can't Even Believe It- Amy Silverman it has some really good information/insight on raising a Down's child, but ugh. She is one of those confessional authors, but the whole - we are all like this, just no. If you call people retarded without a second thought and stare at and judge people with disability/differences in public, then you are a like her. I have a hard time not thinking she is just a nasty person- but she is an investigative writer and when she isn't talking about herself and anything before she actually bonded with her daughter, then a lot of it is good. I can't leave the feeling that her family is one that really leaves everyone around them feeling less happy. This was a NetGalley preview too, and came out last month.

It doesn't sound like it, but all three books are worth reading.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-16, 06:39 PM  
sherry7899

Judy-have you read Marcia Willett? She has a trilogy that follows a British family around the 1950's (I think...I read them a long time ago). You may also like the author Jean Stubbs ( British). I loved her book "Like We Used To Be" which is about two sisters in London in the 1960's-one followed the traditional marriage/children route, and the other is a bohemian artist.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 07:59 AM  
PhyllisG

OK. I am getting desperate. Next week it is my turn to,offer choices of books to my book club. Aside from The Luminaries i have no other ideas. There are books I would suggest but the waiting lists at the libraries is too long.
Anyone have any suggestions? What has your group read recently?
All ideas, suggestions appreciated.
I am off to the library today to browse thru the stacks.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 08:36 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
OK. I am getting desperate. Next week it is my turn to,offer choices of books to my book club. Aside from The Luminaries i have no other ideas. There are books I would suggest but the waiting lists at the libraries is too long.
Anyone have any suggestions? What has your group read recently?
All ideas, suggestions appreciated.
I am off to the library today to browse thru the stacks.
I would honestly suggest something by Lianne Moriarty. Especially the one I mentioned above. They're easy, compelling reads. Some might classify her books as "chic lit" - but I see them as having more depth than that. Maybe "chic lit with an edge."
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 08:38 AM  
Pam

My book group recently read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. The 8 or so members liked the book and than we got together and watch the movie. The movie was well done, following the book, but also following 2 best girlfriends in the current world. We also gave the movie thumb-ups.

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Flower-S...the+secret+fan
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 11:52 AM  
Dabbadooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
I am listening to Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. I also will be reading her latest, Eligible, soon.
Eligible is very, very good.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 12:29 PM  
Sandrine

Just finished reading Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk for book discussion group and was very impressed. Also, almost finished with the Shelly Freydont mystery, A Gilded Grave; I liked it more, once I got into it, and am now looking forward to the next one.

Phyllis, what did you end up with for your book group? Our books are chosen by the 2 librarians who alternate leading the discussion, and limited by no. of copies available. They almost never take suggestions from attendees. Which is actually okay with me, because it shoves me out of my comfort zone. Thanks to that group, I've read many books that I normally wouldn't consider. And even if I don't like one, I'm always glad that I read it.
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, overdrive, reading, summer reading