Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-16, 11:51 AM  
donnamp

Has anyone read Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last? I checked it out of my library. I find her books to be hit or miss for me - I loved The Handmaid's Tale.

I recently finished What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan and enjoyed it - tough subject - the disappearance of an 8 year old boy - but well written and held my interest.

I'm almost finished with The Headmaster's Wife - by Thomas Christopher Greene - another "mystery" type story - a bit unusual.

Next up on my list - Diane Chamberlain Pretending to Dance. Nicci French (I love this author's psychological suspense stories - I think it is a husband/wife writing team) Losing You and maybe the Atwood.....

And, as is always the case more comes in on hold from the library.....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 11:57 AM  
JustSandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Ooh! Temeraire is coming!
I preordered that months ago for my Kindle - I'd forgotten it's this month. Thanks!
Glad to see another Temeraire fan! I've loved this series and am looking forward to the wrap-up.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 12:16 PM  
donnamp

I am now intrigued by the Temeraire series! I will see if my library has this!

I'm not a huge fantasy reader, but some really "click" for me. I like the one series I think BunnyHop recommended.....Fool's Assassin.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 12:17 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I'm listening to the Rosie Effect, the followup to The Rosie Project. I have no idea why I'm still listening. My recommendation -pass this one up.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 01:10 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Ooh! Temeraire is coming!
I preordered that months ago for my Kindle - I'd forgotten it's this month. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
Glad to see another Temeraire fan! I've loved this series and am looking forward to the wrap-up.
I just discovered Naomi Novik. I read Uprooted and loved it. I bought the first in the Temeraire series but haven't started it yet. She's very good!
Old 06-02-16, 01:59 PM  
sherry7899

Lynn- I could not finish "The Rosie Effect" either.

Is anyone going to see the movie "Me Before You?" I cannot decide. I may wait for it to be on Dvd.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 08:24 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Sherry, I will probably wait for it to come out in DVD. I haven't gone out to a movie in a long time. In fact I don't watch many movies at home either. I need to start doing that again.
One of our book groups is reading Olive Kitteridge. Just started it so can't say if it is any good but it won the Pulitzer Prize. Next months pick is Gilead which also won a Pulitzer.

The other book group I am in is reading Broken For You and I have decided that I am not going to read it because it sounds like the story is very similar to the Orphan Train story. Sometimes I pass judgement on a book before I read it especially when there are so many books I do want to read.

Some books on my TBR list are:
Becoming Nicole(non-fiction about a family and their transgender child)
Smoke(futuristic novel which I usually don't go for but this looks interesting) The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks (I really like this author)
Our Souls at Night
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 08:28 AM  
muggle

Thanks for the info on "The Rosie Effect". I had it on my list. With so many other books to be read or listened to I don't need anymore duds!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 08:35 AM  
sherry7899

Leslie, I will probably wait for dvd also. It will likely be out on dvd by the fall or definitely for Christmas. Movies don't stay in the theater very long anymore unless it's a sequel of something successful, or an action movie. We saw an independent movie called "Sing Street" (Irish music movie) at the independent theater in downtown Princeton, and I think it was there for only two weeks or less. It's a shame it didn't do better-it was a very enjoyable movie.

I may give up on the book "Behind Closed Doors." The subject matter is disturbing. I may just skim the end. I've been giving up on more books lately. I don't want to feel like I "have" to finish them if they don't really absorb me.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 08:44 AM  
Glow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Has anyone read Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last? I checked it out of my library. I find her books to be hit or miss for me - I loved The Handmaid's Tale.

I recently finished What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan and enjoyed it - tough subject - the disappearance of an 8 year old boy - but well written and held my interest.

I'm almost finished with The Headmaster's Wife - by Thomas Christopher Greene - another "mystery" type story - a bit unusual.

Next up on my list - Diane Chamberlain Pretending to Dance. Nicci French (I love this author's psychological suspense stories - I think it is a husband/wife writing team) Losing You and maybe the Atwood.....

And, as is always the case more comes in on hold from the library.....

Donna
I really liked The Heart Goes Last. Not sure if this will help you since I did not like The Handmaids Tale's. She's hit or miss with me also.

I agree with your opinion about What She Knew.

Also read Anne Tyler's Vinegar Girl. I'd highly recommend it.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, overdrive, reading, summer reading