Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-16, 01:20 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Yes, I've read most of the D.D. Warren series. It's pretty good. I get a little irritated with her character, but the books keep my interest.
Thanks, Jez!
Old 03-12-16, 07:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I just finished Perfect Timing, my least favorite of Jill Mansell's books. But, I still liked it well enough to finish it and you know I don't finish it if I don't enjoy it at some level. Now, I'm reading the newest of the Lakeshore Chronicles and the first gaslight mystery book.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 10:40 PM  
BunnyHop

In my never ending quest to find something to read that suits my current restlessness, I remembered that dad had some old mysteries. From Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver series. I've started a few and flitted around and like what I've read so far. Definitely getting more of these. Can't understand why I never got into her before; dad's little set of them has been on the shelf for years now.

They're character driven cozys, well written, with a Miss Marple-like Miss Silver in action.
I'm not all that familiar with them yet, but I like them well enough that I think she'll be one of those ones I read in their entirety. Will probably plough through the ratty used books we have, then get the ones from the library, then maybe buy a few new if I'm still in mystery reading mode that far down the road.

(Read all of Ngaio Marsh, too. Those are good as well, but bits come across a bit dated in a jarring way from time to time. Social commentary wasn't her strong suit, and it isn't what I want from my casual reading, LOL!)
Old 03-22-16, 07:54 AM  
alisoncooks

Just reread Neil Gaiman's Stardust, then read Neverwhere for the first time.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 10:05 AM  
Aunt Famous

My husband sent me this link about James Patterson's plans to publish a series of novella-length books:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/bu...=19918128&_r=0

It was pretty interesting to me, and made me think of a book club that I was in (and quit) that had a 200 page limit because most of the members refused to read anything that was longer.

A few nights ago, I finished re-reading "All the King's Men" -- all 661 pages of it -- and it made me long for something much shorter. I read "Everything I Never Told You" (Celeste Ng) in a blink, and I really liked it.

I am now reading "The World's Largest Man," a memoir about the author's father and growing up in Mississippi. I had heard the author speak, and I really looked forward to the book. I love funny (oh, do I love funny!), but this book seems almost manic. I know that it took him six years to write, and it almost reads like he spent every single one of those days trying to make each and every sentence a zinger. I don't know why I find it overwhelming and slightly off-putting, but I do. Go figure.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 11:56 AM  
sherry7899

I am starting two psychological suspense books by British authors:

"Follow You Home" by Mark Edwards
"Falling" by Emma Kavanagh

Laura- the first book is a library loan but "Falling" is mine if you want it after I am done.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 12:02 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My book club is reading The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. My first impression was "ugh, I hate sports books" but it is turning out to be a great read. The author weaves in so much history of the times - the brewing of Nazism on the rise, the true life horrors of the American Depression and Dust Bowl. I recommend it for history buffs. Also - I never knew how physically grueling rowing is. I'd always kind of scoffed at it as a rich college boys pursuit, but reading about the training and physical stamina required is an eye opener.
I rowed in grad school. I've never been in better shape than I was back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I read Beach Music years ago too. Still have it too. Thumbing through it now, to jog my memory. Maybe I'll get to revisit it before year end.
I just ordered The Lords of Discipline. Have you read that one? I'm thinking about Beach Music for my next book order.

Right now, I'm reading The Devil in the White City.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 04:06 PM  
videofit

West of Eden: An American Place by Jean Stein. The Daily Telegraph said:

"West of Eden, is an oral history – or, more correctly, an oral biography of a place – that has been decades in the making. For years she has interviewed people, famous and not – Arthur Miller, Lauren Bacall, Gore Vidal, Dennis Hopper, Jane Fonda, Warren Beatty, former secretaries, butlers, security guards. Many are now dead, and Stein has sewn together their testimonies to compose an orchestral account of the magical, hubristic, sparkling and murky place she left long ago. West of Eden could have been an encyclopedia; instead it takes a more nuanced view. It’s selective and sly, personal and political – and by far one of the best books ever written about Hollywood."
Old 03-22-16, 06:10 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I rowed in grad school. I've never been in better shape than I was back then.

I just ordered The Lords of Discipline. Have you read that one? I'm thinking about Beach Music for my next book order.

Right now, I'm reading The Devil in the White City.
I have not. Let us know what you think of it.
Old 03-23-16, 09:30 AM  
mle777

I'm re-reading the Sookie Stackhouse series right now (by Charlaine Harris). I read all of the books when they originally came out. I read a lot of non-fiction last year and started out this year needing something fun to read that I didn't have to invest a lot of time in. I think I'm on the 7th book.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading