Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-16, 08:38 PM  
donnamp

So interesting, I tried to read Prince of Tides and simply couldn't. I liked Beach Music and i'm re-reading it. Now, it would be funny if I didn't like it some 15-16 years later, LOL.

I may give Prince of Tides another try since everyone seems to love it - I might not have been in the proper mood for it.

Sometimes you need to be in the mood for a certain book. Sort of like a workout.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 08:45 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks, Beth. I saw the thread in the GD after I was in here.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 10:38 PM  
Sissy B

I just finished Memory Man by David Baldacci.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 11:00 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I may give Prince of Tides another try since everyone seems to love it - I might not have been in the proper mood for it.

Dysfunctional family stories are pretty much always on my 'don't read that' list, no matter how well written.
Old 03-05-16, 11:02 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

On a John Sanford kick lately. I've reading Gathering Prey, Deadline, and am currently reading Saturn Run.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 06:10 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Dysfunctional family stories are pretty much always on my 'don't read that' list, no matter how well written.
Maybe that is it - although Beach Music also has a dysfunctional family and I was able to read that. I just remember when I tried to read Prince of Tides it was so difficult for me to get through and I abandoned it early in the book.

Donna
Old 03-06-16, 08:49 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I think my favorite of his books was The Water Is Wide. Beach Music made me laugh in places, which is the reason why I stuck with it. But, it also was another story about a dysfunctional family, which isn't my favorite. In this case, the laughter balanced the angst.

I read Carolyn Hart's Death By Surprise. I like her stand-alone mysteries. They are intelligent, flow for me, and keep me guessing.

I also read Desiring Paradise, a totally escapist book about a couple who lived their dream of moving from New England to St. John in the Caribbean.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 10:11 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Couldn't read Prince of Tides either. I thought it was too unrealistic, silly me. Never should underestimate the evil men can do. I enjoyed his book of essays, but other than that, couldn't read anything he wrote.

I read another drunken memoir- Sober Stick Figure by Amber Tozer. She's a comedic writer, but I didn't laugh at any of this book. It isn't tragic either. Tozer is a good writer, who throws in some stick figure illustrations. Nice memoir, I do wonder how she managed her issues that were there before she drank. Anyway, I do recommend this book for people who like memoirs, people who wonder what it might be to pick up and move to NYC in their early 20s and young women looking for inspiration to quit drinking. (although, not sure if it is really here, but you never know what might help someone.)

I've been on a listening binge to end binges of James Patterson books. Probably 7 in the last couple weeks. It is the time of the year when I'm compiling data, so can half listen- and the books only take half attention, and there is dog walk and housework time too. (on double speed, these took 3 or so hours each)
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 10:29 PM  
andtckrtoo

I'm a big lover of Sci Fi Fantasy. I just read Jim C. Hines Libriomancer series and loved it. The idea that books are magic just resonates strongly with me.
Old 03-07-16, 05:16 AM  
donnamp

Lynne and Laura - those are good points. Prince of Tides felt hopeless to me which is why I couldn't get past the first 1/4 of it. Beach Music is sad and about dysfunctional people but it doesn't have this air of complete hopelessness to it.

Christine - that sounds interesting! I don't read a ton of sci fi or fantasy but once in awhile I find one I like.

Donna

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading