Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-16, 05:06 PM  
donnamp

Hi,
I am currently reading The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson - it is a fast and engaging read! I probably read about it on the winter thread, LOL.

My most recent reads are:

Kate Morton - The Lake House - I am a big fan of Kate's books, and while I enjoyed this one and found it a "faster" read than many of her others, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed her other books. It isn't to say it wasn't good, but not "as" good to me.

Out of the Easy - Ruta Sepetys - (author of Between Shades of Grey) I enjoyed this one but it was a bit gritty.

Sherry - thanks for mentioning Jodi Picoult, I haven't read one of hers in a long time...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 05:20 PM  
sherry7899

Donna- you are welcome! A new book of short stories by Maeve Binchy just came out.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 07:09 PM  
BunnyHop

At last! My copy of the new V.E. Schwab book finally arrived. Looking forward to this one.

(Amazon combined two 'free shipping' orders, which slowed things down quite a lot.)
Old 03-03-16, 07:49 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Donna- you are welcome! A new book of short stories by Maeve Binchy just came out.
Oh thanks for the head's up - my Mom's b-day is in a few weeks, I will get it for her (and then she will loan it to me to read, LOL!)

Donna
Old 03-04-16, 08:17 PM  
Sissy B

Last night I finished For the Love by Jen Hatmaker.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 07:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My book club is reading The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. My first impression was "ugh, I hate sports books" but it is turning out to be a great read. The author weaves in so much history of the times - the brewing of Nazism on the rise, the true life horrors of the American Depression and Dust Bowl. I recommend it for history buffs. Also - I never knew how physically grueling rowing is. I'd always kind of scoffed at it as a rich college boys pursuit, but reading about the training and physical stamina required is an eye opener.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 03:22 PM  
donnamp

Sounds interesting, Pat

I finished The Bookseller yesterday, I liked it - it has a 6th sense quality about it. A good first novel for this author.

Since Pat Conroy passed away I decided to re-read Beach Music which was one of his I really enjoyed. I probably read it in 1999/2000 so I don't remember much of the story!

Take care -

Donna
Old 03-05-16, 05:28 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My book club is reading The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. My first impression was "ugh, I hate sports books" but it is turning out to be a great read. The author weaves in so much history of the times - the brewing of Nazism on the rise, the true life horrors of the American Depression and Dust Bowl. I recommend it for history buffs. Also - I never knew how physically grueling rowing is. I'd always kind of scoffed at it as a rich college boys pursuit, but reading about the training and physical stamina required is an eye opener.
My hubby loves this book! And keeps bugging me to read it. Too many books & not enough time to read them all!

ETA...sort of like all my workouts!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 08:05 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Since Pat Conroy passed away I decided to re-read Beach Music which was one of his I really enjoyed. I probably read it in 1999/2000 so I don't remember much of the story!
Pat Conroy died? When did that happen? I started reading his books as a teenagers. I didn't like all his boks, but the ones I did really stayed with me.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 08:31 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Pat Conroy died? When did that happen? I started reading his books as a teenagers. I didn't like all his boks, but the ones I did really stayed with me.
Just last night, Laura. I just LOVED The Prince of Tides when I read it, although I wasn't as into his other books.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading