Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-15, 10:05 AM  
Aunt Famous

I am reading "Refund," a collection of short stories, all loosely about money and all set in or around the financial bust of 2008. Very well-written.

Carol, I'll have to check out the book. Sounds right up my alley!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 11:05 PM  
Sissy B

I just finished Sugar Jamison's Perfect Fit novella, Have Yourself a Curvy Little Christmas.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 11:13 PM  
sherry7899

I forgot to mentioned I read "The Nine Lives Of Christmas" which was a very cute book from the point of view of a cat. My secret santa bought it for me last year, and I saved it for this Christmas

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 08:24 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I recently did a search for "Christmas" on my Kindle app and brought in several books to the group I have on my device and I'm working m way through some of them. Currently, I'm reading:

An Irish Christmas, which is pretty good. It is set in Christmas 1963 and I keep stopping to remember that it's not in current times.

Christmas at Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop. This started slow and turned into a really good story so far. I'm really enjoying it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 08:33 AM  
sherry7899

Laura - I am glad you are enjoying the Rosie Hopkins book.

I have a Sheila Roberts Christmas book out from the library. I plan to start it very soon.

Old 12-10-15, 09:39 AM  
Sissy B

Laura - I have Christmas at the Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop on my Nook. I haven't read it yet, but right now I'm reading another one of Jenny Colgan's Christmas books, Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe.
Old 12-10-15, 09:42 AM  
sherry7899

Sissy- I liked that one also.

Old 12-10-15, 11:14 AM  
Judy W.

Having resisted this book until now, I just finished The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah. I resisted because most modern novels about World War 2 tend to focus on romance while trying be nostalgic. Often they create improbable situations where Jewish (or Japanese) ladies (or gents) fall in love with German (or American) gents (or ladies) and experience all the condemnation you would expect. Most of these novels are well-intentioned soap operas, and usually the author's research and writing skills are lacking.

The description of The Nightingale sounded like more of the same. I had no desire to read it, although I noted the wonderful reviews.

One day last week, Amazon featured The Nightingale on Kindle for $1.99, so I went for it. And I will never forget these wonderful characters. It actually drew tears! I lack the writing skills to tell you just how wonderful this book is. I filed it in my 'Keepers' file.

If you haven't read it, and if you want to be reminded there is still light in this dark world, read this book.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-15, 11:16 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Laura - I have Christmas at the Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop on my Nook. I haven't read it yet, but right now I'm reading another one of Jenny Colgan's Christmas books, Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe.
Yeah, I liked Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe, too. I think I liked that series a little better, but not by much.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-15, 09:59 PM  
Sissy B

I finished Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe and then I read A Highland Christmas by M.C. Beaton.

Tags
audiobooks, books, reading, winter reading