Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-13, 07:47 AM  
lexybeth1

Anyone had meniscus tear with arthroscopy?

Good morning! I had my knee surgery with medial meniscal tear, had approx. 50 percent of medial meniscus removed and I'm not sure of the term but had to have kneecap smoothed inside, has anyone had arthroscopy and if so what were your results and recovery time/issues? I'm 6 days post op and doing home pt exercises , walking and bearing weight on left leg probably better than before surgery well I can bear weight with a straight leg which I could only do in a bent position prior. But my quad and calf are so sore as is my knee. It is still really tight and I still can't bend it to degree of other knee at allll.just looking for advice from anyone that may have some to offer? Thank you ! Misty...oh eta mine was a degenerative horizontal tear that doc said had probably been there a long time but for whatever move or reason finally reared its ugly head lol.
lexybeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 07:57 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

6 days is still pretty newly postop in my opinion! You'll feel much better in a week or two!

I was able to walk as far as I wanted after my surgery, (same as yours) but have since given up running, stepping and almost all impact, . Can still do some jumping etc, but I just feel better if I don't do it.

I can do all kinds of squats, lunges, etc., without a problem.

It's almost 5 years since my surgery and I still feel a little numbness under my kneecap where it was smoothed out.

I'm glad I had the surgery, and I can say that giving up the cardio I used to do was a blessing in disguise. I find it easier to stay lean doing less cardio.

Good luck!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 08:53 AM  
sciencelady

I had the same surgery back in 2009. I went back to work after surgery about 10 days post-op, but parking really close to the door. I did a lot of icing post-op to reduce the swelling and started physical therapy about three weeks post-op (for about a month total) to work on restoring function. I was able to start cycling about three weeks postop just to restore some range of motion - no resistance. I felt pretty normal about two months post-op, but probably tried to do too much too soon as far as jumping/impact and that set me back a few months.

Currently I still have some limitations in full range of motion on that knee - I can't sit back on my heel on that leg. Running is out due to impact - I'm good for maybe about 200 yards before I have pain. I've developed a real love of outdoor cycling . I'll occasionally snag the edge of the remaining meniscus on deep squats/lunges which takes a few steps to shake out, but then I'm good to go again. I do have some pretty severe arthritis in the bone around the area of the meniscus surgery because of the length of time I had the tear before surgery (years), so I'm bone-on-bone in that knee (I'm also 51 years old). Overall, I'm happy I had the surgery - without it my activity was pretty limited - now I'm able to do pretty much anything I want with minor modifications (and running wasn't a real love) - avoiding torquey exercises on that knee, high impact and really deep moves.

Hope that helps!
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 09:49 AM  
desderata

I had it about 3 years ago. I think results from the surgery depend on the PT you have afterwards, how much strengthening you do of your quadriceps and knee stabilizers post surgery, and how much of your meniscus is removed. I had good PT post op and have full range of motion in that knee. I also did a lot of strengthening exercises on my own, and am able to do step, tall box climbs, lunges, squats, to my heart's content.

I had a big chunk of the meniscus removed and I definitely feel that. I feel a grinding pain in that knee when I try to do high impact cardio. I can do plyometrics at a controlled pace, but I feel the lack of cushion in that knee when I try high impact, so I've given that up. I miss it, but it's not worth the pain at the time or the achey pain for hours/days afterwards. I also wonder if I"m causing arthritis in that knee by pushing it.

My recovery time was pretty long. The injury that resulted in the torn meniscus also caused a bad strain on my MCL. The combination of the two caused a huge amount of swelling and a very large baker's cyst behind my knee. I think it was a full year before I was at the level of recovery I am now. The vast majority of people I"ve talked with have had a full recovery within a matter of months, so you should probably be feeling better relatively soon.

I was released from PT about 3-4 months post surgery. I then started doing the Kettlebell Way, Vol. 1. I credit that workout with my sanity and my recovery. It combined non impact cardio with a total body workout with an emphasis on lower body strength. It caused ZERO pain to my knee and I feel really helped my recovery.

Six days out is still pretty early. I wish you a full recovery and the best of luck.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-13, 07:11 AM  
lexybeth1

Thank you all soo much for your replies I appreciate it, right now my quad and calf feel so sore is that normal? I guess I'm just worried and want my knee better now ww, I miss working out soo muchhh
lexybeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meniscus, meniscus tear