Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-19, 12:44 PM  
alisoncooks

I don't read a lot of romance but I've been on a streak lately.

Edenbrooke: A Proper Romance by Julianne Donaldson -- very enjoyable, light reading. Very clean and innocent.

Maybe Someday -- Colleen Hoover. I quite liked this, as well as the companion novella Maybe Not and sequel Maybe Now. Stronger language, a bit more adult.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-19, 01:25 PM  
Dabbadooey

I also enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians, and I am currently reading China Rich Girlfriend, also entertaining.
I read 100 pages of The Hypnotist's Love Story...not good..
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-19, 09:19 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
listening to an audiobook - The House of Morgan by Ron Chernow, about the JP Morgan banking dynasty. fascinating book.

the first audio by Chernow that i finished was Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller. i had to borrow the audio (on Overdrive) twice because it's such a long book. the hardcover version is heavy to lug around, which motivated me to seek the audio version. i can listen to these audios when i walk too.

Chernow wrote the non-fiction book about Alexander Hamilton, the basis for the musical.
The House of Morgan is on my to read list. I read his book “The Warburgs” about another banking dynasty and it was OK but I heard good things about House of Morgan. I have his biography of George Washington on my Kindle but probably won’t get around to it. I also bought his biography of Ulysses Grant for DH that Id like to read. But like you said his books are long.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-19, 09:07 PM  
alisoncooks

Months after requesting the ebook from the library, it was finally my turn to read The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris.

I have several library-borrowed ebooks ready to read next:
Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly
The Wonder - Emma Donoghue
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford
As Bright as Heaven - Susan Meissner

(I'm on a bit of historical fiction bender...)
Old 02-20-19, 06:46 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Months after requesting the ebook from the library, it was finally my turn to read The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris.

I have several library-borrowed ebooks ready to read next:
Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly
The Wonder - Emma Donoghue
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet - Jamie Ford
As Bright as Heaven - Susan Meissner

(I'm on a bit of historical fiction bender...)
I have Lilac Girls & The Tattooist of Auschwitz on hold (along with Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff). I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet. I haven't heard of the other 2 you have listed. I will have to look those up and put them on hold. Currently still reading Crazy Rich Asians which I'm enjoying and almost done with.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-19, 08:59 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
I have Lilac Girls & The Tattooist of Auschwitz on hold (along with Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff). I loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet. I haven't heard of the other 2 you have listed. I will have to look those up and put them on hold. Currently still reading Crazy Rich Asians which I'm enjoying and almost done with.
I'll have to look into Lost Girls of Paris!

I finished The Tattoist yesterday. Spending 1.5 hours in the orthodontist waiting room really helps get books finished. (And the kid popped a bracket off before bed last night, so we're heading back again this morning.)
Old 02-20-19, 05:50 PM  
BunnyHop

Just started the new Charles Finch, The Vanishing Man. It's a prequel to his Charles Lenox series, so might be a good place to start if you've never read them.

(Honestly I think the actual first one, 'A Beautiful Blue Death' is a bit less of a cozy mystery than the rest of the series. Not horrifying, but still darker than I really want to read.)
Old 02-21-19, 07:50 PM  
videofit

I found a David Sedaris book, "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" (2004) at a library sale. Just the first chapter had me laughing out loud every other sentence. Great book, all short stories, if you ever need a quick pick-me-up.

I've listened to his own readings of his books on BBC Radio 4 whenever they have a series. He hasn't done any in quite a while. Highly recommend. You can find used copies very cheaply on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Dress-Your-Fa.../dp/0316010790
Old 02-21-19, 07:53 PM  
sherry7899

A very sweet VF friend sent me this book as an early birthday present. I was sucked in from the first page, and have put aside library loans to keep reading it:

The Widower's Wife by Cate Holahan

My library has one other of her books, which I will definitely borrow. There are several others I may purchase from Amazon eventually.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 05:03 PM  
difit

Winter reading has moved to a new thread

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...spring+reading
difit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading