Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-17, 11:47 AM  
Sandrine

Just finished They May Not Mean To But They Do for library discussion group; this one really depends on where you are in life, as it is about aging parents. Reading Gilead for church book group. I've read the other 2 books in the trilogy, so the characters are familiar, but I wasn't wild about those books and I think this one will be the same.

Library group is reading Lincoln in the Bardo next. I tried to read this when it first came out, and felt that it didn't live up to its reviews. Hoping to feel differently this time around. Sometimes reading something with the group makes a big difference in the way I feel about a book.
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-17, 01:25 PM  
sherry7899

I finished Lisa Jewell's latest book "I Found You" which was a library loan. Her books are a hit or miss for me, so I stopped buying them and ask my library to get them instead. This one was worth reading. It was very absorbing and moved along at a decent pace.

I am reading another library loan "It's Always the Husband" which I can't decide on. I'm finding all three main characters not very likable. It's yet another book with an event from the past that comes back to haunt the characters. I am curious enough to keep reading.

Another library loan I finished was "The Mother's Promise" by Sally Kepworth. It was a sad book, but very interesting. I would definitely read more by the author.

I also finished "How to Change a Life" by Stacey Ballis. Her books are also hit and miss, so I borrowed it from the library. If you enjoy cooking and baking and books set in Chicago her books are fun to read. However, she goes into WAY too much detail about the food and I end up skipping whole paragraphs. It is about three high school friends who decide to make changes in their life before their 40th birthday. Her books do seem to follow a formula of a single woman foodie with a dog, but they're a quick read. I did find a music geek level mistake in the book of course I confirmed with my DH that Harry Nilsson did not appear at a Beatlefest in 1980 to raise money for gun control awareness-that happened a few years later..yeah, I know-I"m hopeless! I know it since my DH did meet him at a Beatlefest, but it was not until a few years after that.

I have two psychological suspense books out from the library to read next:

The Fifth Letter by Nicola Moriarty
Find Me by JS Monroe

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 05:23 PM  
sherry7899

Jojo's Moyes is releasing a new book next January called "Still Me." It will continue the story of Louisa. It is set in New York. I will ask my library to order it. I was not thrilled with the sequel to "Me Before You" but I want to find out what happens to Louisa next.

Old 08-31-17, 06:35 PM  
donnamp

Thanks, Sherry - I haven't read the sequel to Me Before You.....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 07:01 PM  
muggle

I just finished Me Before You. So the sequel isn't that great huh? Upthread the book "They may not mean to but they do", I thought it was cute. Sad too. Right now I'm listening to Behind her eyes, a psychological thriller. Pretty good so far. I love the creepy, sink into your brain stuff.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 07:23 PM  
sherry7899

Donna and Muggle-I think the sequel was pretty good, but it was missing the magic of the first book. That would be impossible to replicate, though.

Sherry

Old 09-01-17, 06:31 AM  
Sandrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
I just finished Me Before You. So the sequel isn't that great huh? Upthread the book "They may not mean to but they do", I thought it was cute. Sad too. Right now I'm listening to Behind her eyes, a psychological thriller. Pretty good so far. I love the creepy, sink into your brain stuff.
Muggle, Have you read The Double Bind? (Can't remember the author, Bohjalian, maybe?) It's so creepy that it's still in my brain several years after reading it! It almost brought my book group to blows, for the only time I remember.
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 07:35 AM  
BunnyHop

I've just started Louise Penny's Glass Houses.
Old 09-01-17, 09:54 AM  
difit

Summer reading has moved to a new thread.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...40#post2730740
difit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading