Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-16, 08:39 PM  
Messe

I loved both A Man Called Ove and Britt-Marie Was Here!

I finished (and loved) Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith aka J. K. Rowling over the weekend and just started Over the Plain Houses by Julia Franks.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 08:33 AM  
difit

Spring reading has moved to new thread.

Summer Reading
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...01#post2639601
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 01:17 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Lynn, that's very interesting about the Sue Kleibold book. I saw her 20/20 interview and was moved by it. I didn't fully get the sense that she was in denial, but it would be hard to tell in that segment. I am also a college mental health professional (a clinical psychologist working in a college counseling center), and I agree that unfortunately, suicides are NOT just something that happens with mentally ill people--may come from impulsive attempts after a single distressing even. (Anyone who would like to read more on this subject can visit the research-based web site from Harvard, meansmatter.org.)
Thanks for including that link. I will give it a look. For the most part, Kliebold doesn't seem to be in denial, in fact she specifically points all the ways she was in denial right up until she saw the tapes of her son spouting horrible hateful rhetoric. Then.... a section later, she spends the whole section blaming it on Harris, claims her son was depressed, etc. and runs some circles around most of what she had previously said. It was a little bizarre and her editors did her a disservice by not helping her see how she was presenting the info. She could have discussed the suicide angle without claiming Harris had control over her son. The family wasn't perfect and she still doesn't see some of their cracks years later, but they were by no means outside of the ordinary of mostly loving families. And I do believe she cares about those killed and injured.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 08:30 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Lynn, she did a bit of that in the documentary, too. I can't imagine how horrible those tapes must be to watch, especially for a mother.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 10:53 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Lynn, she did a bit of that in the documentary, too. I can't imagine how horrible those tapes must be to watch, especially for a mother.
I have immense sympathy for her and admire her ability to try to help others. The effect on our community back then was so immense, and i was saddened by all the knee jerk finger pointing, which came more from politicians, the media and religious leaders, than the victims. And thanks so much for the link. Much food for thought.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-16, 11:09 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I just finished a Man Called Ove. A great character! The book is funny and touching at the same time.
Will be reading this in July with one of my book groups. Really looking forward to it since we have had a bunch of duds recently.
I will now move to the summer reading thread.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading