Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-04, 08:55 PM  
tinamatas

Rotations - What's your favorite way?

What is your favorite way to do a rotation so that you are able to fit in everything? I like to do pure cardio most days (at least 4) for 20 to 30 minutes, strength training (total body) twice a week (or split up, as long as upper and lower get worked twice a week with abs approximately every other day), yoga, and Pilates (still trying to figure out the best way to get these videos in).

Or do you just go with whatever you feel like doing that day? While this is somewhat appealing to me, when it comes time to work out, I find myself staring at my workouts too long just trying to decide which one to do! :rolleyes: I'm thinking it would be better to try to have a week (or maybe a month) planned out so that when it is time to exercise that day, I just check my calendar and grab the scheduled video. Hopefully this would also allow me to make sure I use all of my favorites.

So what's your favorite way?

Tina
tinamatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 09:06 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I "try" to have 3 cardio days per week (usually 30-45 minutes) and 3 weight
days per week alternating. All lot of my weight videos are Firms and some have a little cardio in them, but I still consider them weight days, I also have some Cathes, and am starting to use some Karen Voight for some variety, and
a few others. My cardio is mainly step, but I try to do 1 kickboxing video
a week, only have a couple of those.

I also am trying to incorporate some yoga, pilates, stretching into my routine
as well, usually Sundays are my light/rest days and where I would do one of these. But I am going to try to add these on when possible, generally my
weight days are longer than my cardio days, only because I try to lift
pretty heavy weights (for me anyway) and I usually need to rest 30 seconds
between sets. So where they will be added to is yet to be determined, though it should probably be after the weights. Anyways, this is what I
do, seems to work for me.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-04, 09:59 PM  
Carol_is_fit

For years and years and years I tried to balance cardio and weights, fitting in as many workouts as I could working 12 hour nights, and making sure I alternated the two to even it out. Now that I actually have time to workout seven days a week (by getting up at 4:30 AM on weekday mornings of course!), this is what I've been doing:

Monday - cardio (there's nothing quite like starting out Monday morning on the rebounder! LOL!!)
Tuesday - upper body
Wednesday - lower body
Thursday - cardio and weights (light!) in one workout (but mostly the cardio part since I just did two days of all strength training!)
Friday - core which often includes cardio portions, but the focus is core work
Saturday - total body strength training workout
Sunday - BOSU or fusion type workout, some of which include cardio portions, but the focus is balance work

I like doing something everyday, and I don't feel like I'm killing myself trying to fit it all in, nor do I feel like every workout has to be "killer" or intense since I'm doing something every single day. Also, if something comes up and I skip a day, I don't feel so guilty. I'm finding this works well for me, physically and mentally, and I'm going to try it for a few months and see what happens.

Carol