Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-20, 10:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Cathe's slide & glide or Chalene's PiYo Full Body Blast Strong Legs?

Benefits of either one, favorite, pros/cons, etc.?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 03:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

partially answering my own question - when i looked at threads for Cathe's Slide & Glide, it seemed less popular or a regretted purchase.

whereas with the comments about PiYo Strength disc, people liked it better than the basic set.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 08-11-20, 11:37 AM  
bfit

My experience is limited. I have Cathe's Slide and Glide. I really like it, but I don't do it often because getting my floor set up for gliding is kind of a hassle. I have not tried the PiYo one you mentioned, but I have tried other PiYo workouts and did not keep the DVDs. I just didn't like the whole approach. It sounds like the PiYo workout you mention focuses on the legs. The Cathe workout is not just legs - it focuses on core and cardio, but you do work your legs a lot. And you work your upper body in some of the plank work.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 11:45 AM  
prettyinpink

I really like the Piyo one but it has been a long time since I’ve done it.

I like some slider work, but I end up not doing it often because of my space. They just work so much better on smooth floor than on carpet, and I’ve tried three different brands of slider. I love to add a few exercises in here and there. Pretzel work with sliders is great, and so are hamstring slides while lying on the back. Core work with sliders is great. I’m not as in love with slider lunges, which Piyo has a lot of, but it is a good workout.

You might look at the Cathe live downloads descriptions. I have only done a few, but one of the lower body ones uses the sliders a little bit, and there are probably others.

Also Tracie Long Better Burn Better Buns uses them. Mindy Mylrea has at least one. I forget the title of the one I have, but it is challenging.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 12:37 PM  
violingal3

Oh definitely PiYo, no question. I had one of the old school slides back in the day and probably did the Slim Slide VHS thousands of times, so I was excited to see how Cathe would bring sliding back. Definitely not the same kind of workout. Good idea, poor execution in real life. Not a good workout, you won't be happy you wasted the time on it. The PiYo DVD is a gem. It's the extra DVD that didn't come with the basic set, right? Excellent workouts that incorporate the discs for extra challenge, you'll be happy with these.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 03:40 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks everyone for replying - much appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I really like the Piyo one but it has been a long time since I’ve done it.

I like some slider work, but I end up not doing it often because of my space. They just work so much better on smooth floor than on carpet, and I’ve tried three different brands of slider. I love to add a few exercises in here and there. Pretzel work with sliders is great, and so are hamstring slides while lying on the back. Core work with sliders is great. I’m not as in love with slider lunges, which Piyo has a lot of, but it is a good workout.

You might look at the Cathe live downloads descriptions. I have only done a few, but one of the lower body ones uses the sliders a little bit, and there are probably others.

Also Tracie Long Better Burn Better Buns uses them. Mindy Mylrea has at least one. I forget the title of the one I have, but it is challenging.
which workout (doesn't have to be PiYo or Cathe's) has pretzels that use gliders? i'm very intrigued.

i have most of the major Mindy ones - the Gliding set and 2 add-on DVDs that use her 2 purple gliders for carpet. I also have Tracie's B^4 (it's been awhile for that one!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Oh definitely PiYo, no question. I had one of the old school slides back in the day and probably did the Slim Slide VHS thousands of times, so I was excited to see how Cathe would bring sliding back. Definitely not the same kind of workout. Good idea, poor execution in real life. Not a good workout, you won't be happy you wasted the time on it. The PiYo DVD is a gem. It's the extra DVD that didn't come with the basic set, right? Excellent workouts that incorporate the discs for extra challenge, you'll be happy with these.
thank you so much for your feedback on both workouts, especially the Cathe one. thanks for the vote on PiYo's version of gliding too! i have the rest of the PiYo disks that i haven't done yet(), but from what i read, this add-on seems like the only one that uses gliding discs, which is fine. it's just that i read such positive comments about PiYo strength being better than the basic set, and wasn't even aware it used gliding discs. the VF review section for the workouts on this particular DVD are blank (hint-hint).

i also read a review by blogger "Saundra" that it reminded her of Cathe's slide and glide. that was the first clue to me that PiYo Strength DVD used gliding discs:
http://crm549.blogspot.com/2014/07/p...vd-review.html

LOL because i have Slim Slide vhs workout (Kim Alexis, OMG) and my aerobic slide is the Cheryl Ladd one. i still have my other VHS sliding workouts - Andre Houle, Reebok, and have wanted to try Denise Austin's sliding workout (i think she was spokesperson for the Bollinger slide).

Old 08-11-20, 04:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I am trying to imagine how pretzel work could be done with a glider and I cannot imagine it. Off to see if there's any youtube..... will report back if I find anything.
Old 08-11-20, 07:23 PM  
fanofladyvols

Is it the standing pretzel? Or the floor stretch pretzel?

Btw, when I read this all I could think of was pretzel slider rolls.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 08:25 PM  
prettyinpink

The floor, for sure!

The might be a DVD that does it but I can’t think of any right now. There is a Ballet Body segment that uses it both with leg bent and extended, some moves with the toe on the slider and some on the knee. I really think you could add it in to any floor pretzel segment.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 09:41 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
LOL because i have Slim Slide vhs workout (Kim Alexis, OMG) and my aerobic slide is the Cheryl Ladd one. i still have my other VHS sliding workouts - Andre Houle, Reebok, and have wanted to try Denise Austin's sliding workout (i think she was spokesperson for the Bollinger slide).
OMG you're lucky you still have it, I wish I had my old Kim Alexis VHS and my slide. After my first baby I thought it would be such an awesome way to get back into shape, my lower body was in such incredible shape when I was sliding.

Good review of PiYo and the Strength DVD:

https://2lazy4gym.com/2014/11/29/piyo/
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piyo, piyo strength, pretzel, slide and glide