Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-05-20, 06:46 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

For Tuesday, just

Walk - 35 minutes

I got home late because of a haircut appointment and running errands, and then DS wanted to walk the dogs later, so that's all I ended up having time for. Hopefully I'm back to Pahla today.

Brenda - Good work!

Linda - So far only about 10 of our students have opted for online work. We did lose 2 yesterday who withdrew because they opted for the free online work offered by the local school district. I would have been the perfect online student as a kid. I wasn't there for the social stuff, I was there for the academic stuff. Most kids are not self-motivated enough to handle online learning, and the parents are working, are too distracted, etc. to make sure things are getting done. I don't think it's a great learning set up for most kids.

Donna - Most all of our teachers are in a pretty good place about going back. So far as I know, we've only had one ask for accommodations, and we were able to reassign her to development work for this year, which she can do at home. Closed preemptively until February! What are the parents of small children going to do? What if they can't work remotely?

Dana - Glad you are enjoying the Forever Fit program.

Waves to Cheri and Christine!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 07:22 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday for some extra movement I did Gina B's Beatles walk. These are fun for add ons - you could also easily string a few of them together for longer workouts.

Today was back to Pahla - 20 Min Low Impact Walking w/ Weights for Women over 50 (20 min) and I added on a 10 min walking w/ weights that popped up as an option for continuing.

I also did JV's Pilates Camp Day 4 - which was lower body stretching.

Carol - I agree, it takes a "special" kind of student to be self-motivated enough to make the most of on-line education. And, for certain grades/ages I don't think it works at all, no matter what kind of kid you have. It really is a difficult situation w/ working parents of young kids, particularly those who can't work from home. It leaves them w/ having to chose between working or paying for daycare - and how is daycare better than school? Really thorny issues.

Nice work, Brenda!

Linda - I wonder if I have ever done that workout? It sounds familiar......

Dana - glad you are enjoying that program.

Waves, Cheri and Christine.

I'm considering a recovery week soon - I'm really stiff and sore for some odd reason. Perhaps I really should take Pahla's recovery days as recovery days on her Mini challenges!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 08:52 AM  
cherimac

JV Pilates Camp Day 5 Non Impact HIIT

A lot of schools in metro Atlanta are online only. Here in our city, you are all in-person or all online, no hybrid allowed. Most parents want a hybrid, of course.
Old 08-06-20, 06:56 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Wednesday's workouts were

Jessica Smith - Fit in 15 - Day 1 - Jumpstart Cardio - 15 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Classic Core Celebration - 20 minutes;
Walk - 30 minutes

I'm not sure why I decided to do a Jessica workout today - perhaps because I got an email from her yesterday talking about information from her about new program VERY SOON? I dug up her Fit in 15 Rotation, which uses mostly the Fit in 15 series, along with her 21 Day Walk On set. (Thanks Donna, for putting it in the Rotations Forum here!) I miss Pahla, so I probably won't last last with this rotation.

Classic Core Celebration was Smriti's newest monthly workout. It was fast paced and a little more challenging than the usual from her. I did like but there were a couple of moves that called for weight bearing on the hands that were too hard for me. As usual, Smriti did not overdo the reps. This is actually a pretty nice workout - in, out, and done.

Cheri - So far only 11 or so of our students have opted for the online platform.

Donna - Did you know that Gina B is getting ready to release a new DVD set? It's called something like "Power Walking Through the Decades" - 3 15 minute walks on each of 5 discs, one disc for each decade beginning with the 60's, I think.

Because of our daycare license (that we got this summer - my idea, I'm proud to say), in the event of a city-wide or state-wide closure, the children of essential workers will be able to stay at school (and have school, basically) - assuming the Governor allows any day cares to remain open, like he did in the Spring.

Waves to all!

Carol
Old 08-06-20, 07:29 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Last night DD and I walked our Golden. We have to sneak out now when our Lab is asleep - she is really arthritic and ends up limping a lot whenever we walk her - I really should take her for a 5 minute walk though b/c she does love it so much, whereas our Golden wold much rather play ball than walk.

I also did Jessica V's Pilates for Scoliosis - which seems to really have helped! I think all the sitting i have been doing is taking its toll on me. Jessica's workouts generally make me feel better - I think it must be her PT training, she seems to know just what to hit, how and for how long....

Anyway...today was:

Gina B - Latin Pop Mix - this one was a little more dance and a little less walking - so it was a bit trickier to pick up - but it was still a fun workout and I moved for 30 miinutes.

Jessica V - Pilates Camp Day # 6 - All in One Pilates - this was a nice mix of exercises - nothing we haven't seen before but well done.

Carol - I do remember seeing something about Gina's latest project - I am sure I will cave and buy it! I have thought about doing some type of rotation w/ her workouts - she is a lot of fun. Maybe good for the dead of winter when we need some brightness in our lives??? LOL! I almost did a Jessica Smith workout today, too, b/c I read her newsletter yesterday! I am sure I will buy whatever she puts out, too, even though I haven't done WS 3.0 yet. That was a great idea to get a a day care license!!!

Cheri - that is interesting. I think here parents were generally opposed to school starting at all in person.

Since my DD is looking at college for next year I was looking at one of the local college's websites - they are private, so presumably they can open if they want - and I was reading about the mask rules - it sounds like you and your roommate would have to agree on mask use in the dorm room you share. Now, I'm not one of those people who thinks that wearing a mask is gong to harm your health if worn to work or when out in public, but I do think it could be potentially harmful to wear one all day, every day. We're just so uncertain about what to for next year - she is considering a gap year and taking classes at the community college and working PT if things are not back to normal or semi-normal. But, she is still going to apply just in case...at least it leaves the option open. So many schools have gone test optional for fall of 2021, too, since it was hard to get the SAT/ACT in. My DD took the ACT in Feb so that was good luck on our part - she did reasonably well on it, so....

Anyway, hope everyone has a good day!!!

Donna
Old 08-06-20, 08:28 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

GHUTV 2 Mile Power Walk - 30min
DY Ballerina Fix - 24m
BBFIT Cardio Arms & Abs 18min off youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frZi...&index=19&t=0s Not sure why it said "abs" because there was no ab work but the arms section was a burner! I liked it.

Gotta run to the office again this morning! Waves to all!
Old 08-06-20, 06:13 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Wed: 30 min walk/read
Thu: 30 min step during my online class, video off

Carol, good idea on the daycare license!!

I'll likely buy whatever Jessica Smith makes. She's the only instructor I buy stuff from anymore. My Firm DVDs sit lonely on my shelf...

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 06:56 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thursday's workouts were:

Pahla - 25 Minute Walk & Run - 25 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Pilates for Stress Relief - 13 minutes

Pahla's Walk/Run was cycles of 2 minutes of walking and 1 minute of running. I felt like I kept pace with Pahla on the running and was not winded or even very sweaty when I finished. And a bonus, I'm still moving this morning! Pahla's topic was plateaus in weight loss.

Smriti's Pilates for Stress Relief was on the schedule for Thursday - it felt good even though I don't feel obviously stressed (I probably should feel stressed - I've just gotten acclimated to it).

Brenda - I am the same way - there's a 99% chance I would buy whatever Jessica put out (unless it was some sort of advanced DVD). I too have some of my Firm DVDs, but I never reach for them. Too long, too out of my comfort zone these days. I do have to credit them with giving me a love of exercising though.

Dana - Nice mix of workouts!

Donna - Glad you are enjoying Jessica V's pilates. I didn't get around to doing any of them. I noticed Gina B's set on Amazon will be $49.95, which is enough to make me pause, until I read or hear others raving about it. Somewhere I have a month long rotation for Gina B's stuff - I will share it if I can find it. Re your DD's college plans - a gap year, or just doing a few courses online at a local college, might be a good plan if we are still having a giant CoVid mess by that time.

Cheri - We aren't planning on permitting students to just go willy-nilly back and forth between in person and online, although some flexibility will be permitted. I've been following the mess that the Pauling County GA school re-opening has been.

Waves ~

Carol
Old 08-07-20, 07:50 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday after work I did Jessica V's Low Impact HIIT which was part of her Pilates Camp - maybe Day # 4??? Anyway it was about 15 minutes of endless squats and lunges....so not my favorite workout!

Today, so far, has been:

Pahla B- 25 Min Strength & Low Impact Cardio for Women Over 50
Jessica V - Pilates for Inner Thighs (10 min)
Trifecta Pilates - Pilates/Yoga Fusion

I watched Pahla's video yesterday about injury prevention and building your foundation and I'm considering going back to the 31 Day Challenge she did, she mentions that is a good place to start with building up your core, etc. to prevent injury. I have been mainly playing around w/ her weekly challenges when I do her workouts. I do find that when I get sore from them it is along my "rear chain" - which I think is a good thing b/c that is where I'm weakest from all the sitting/desk work I do - so although sometimes i feel like her workouts aren't enough, I think there is a method to her madness!

Carol - That is a bit of a high price - I guess it depends on how much content she is going to offer with that. I am still considering doing some running w/ Pahla, too! Crazy talk...LOL! And, yes, I think if things are still chaotic w/ COVID next fall a gap year w/ some classes and a job would probably be best. I also think it will give my DD more time to "mature" - she isn't really immature, but I feel that w/ some of the stuff we have been going through during HS it wouldn't hurt her to have some more time w/ a bigger "safety net". She is also interested in buying her lease horse, and while part of me thinks it is crazy, a part of me thinks it may be just what she needs. But, she is going to have to work to "support" him!

Brenda - my FIRMs are also very lonely! I will also likely buy whatever Jessica has to offer.

Waves, Dana - hope your day in the office went well.

Waves, Christine, Linda, Cheri....

Donna
Old 08-08-20, 07:50 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Yesterday's workout was

Barre Blend - PN #1A - 30 minutes

I decided to do a free trial of Beachbody's streaming so I could play around with the various Barre Blend workouts. This one was one of the pre-natal ones and there was a lot of mama-to-be talk involved. But on the plus side - the setting was attractive and Elise was very positive and encouraging. The exercises that she did were good for all of us, honestly, regardless of our stage in life. My heart rate did get up and I sweated way more than I did with the previous day's walk/run Pahla video. Go figure that?? These workouts were filmed during the CoVid outbreak and Elise's two modifiers are on separate screens on either side of her.

Donna - The endless squat and lunge workout - my favorite, never! I am almost always sore in my mid-back area when I do Pahla's workouts. There's something she does that targets that area and makes me sore! I'm sure we all need to work on our rear chain because of all the computer/phone stuff we do. I think taking a year off isn't bad at all. Tickled about your DD wanting to buy her horse - most kids are wanting to buy a car instead.

Waves to all - our in service starts next week, and school the week after...

Carol