Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-06-20, 12:36 PM  
Catahoula Cate

I've been reading through past comments and the posts on homemade peach ice cream and peach milkshakes sound sooo yummy! We are hot and humid now and I think peaches are a very refreshing fruit, but especially in ice cream and a milkshake.

I'm working on a new thriftshop box. A friend sent me quite a few gardening knick knacks unexpectedly that I really can't use so, although a very thoughtful thing to do, the majority of it went into the thrift box. I also convinced DH to let go of one of our digital scales that works fine but we never use and now is in the thrift box. We both prefer our old fashioned no batteries scale. We have one other digital scale that we never use that I'd like to get in the thrift box but just haven't asked him yet. I sold a pair of LL Bean hiking boots(kind of like hiking sneakers) on ebay. I bought them years ago thinking they'd be good for me at some point but they are just too stiff compared to other footwear I prefer. I'm glad to have gotten them sold as they were in great condition. I also sold a piece of gardening equipment on facebook that we don't use. Very nice to get that gone and also to have a successful facebook sale as I don't have much success there. I finally got through the current box of shredding...paperwork going back to 2012 when MIL was in assisted living and hospice. We saved everything as we had to to make sure things were done right. We still have plenty more paperwork that needs shredded or tossed so on to the next batch. I found another spice that was expired by a few years when I was making potato salad the other day so maybe I need to go through the spices again.

Vannie, I've never had plastic melt in the microwave. Was it hard to clean? New microwave? I'm with you on the transition to glass instead of plastic for leftovers if possible but have to admit, the plastic stacks well in the refrigerator and cupboards too.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-20, 12:55 PM  
Vantreesta

Katie, he didn't even notice the bowl melted! There was nothing in the microwave (which is 15 years old) and those bowls had never melted in the 20+ years I've had them! I'm sure we should get rid of the whole set, being that old and getting used all the time, but I have such a hard time doing that. I know, bigger picture, health, yadda yadda. Hopefully none of the plastic got in the food he reheated. For the record, we usually try not to reheat in them but I used to at work bc I didn't have dishes (and wasn't about to use the communal dishes after I saw what people's idea of clean was!). He must have heated it for longer than usual.

Nice job selling and donating stuff!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 10:06 PM  
fanofladyvols

I took another bag to our Goodwill today after repurposing a container for my daughter's college items.

Cate you're making great progress! Way to go!

Vantreesta, I use as much glass as possible but not always practical. The Tupperware I have was from my MIL and has sentimental value as well as being useful. She actually used to be in Tupperware sales. I have one of her sales manuals from back in the day. It's pretty vintage cool with it's sales helps and pictures.

But melting a bowl? Yipes!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 02:32 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

we gave our nephew and niece 2 bikes that my sons used when they were young. it included several sets of training wheels and replacement inner tubes for one of the bikes, and an outer tire for one of the bikes. also gave them 2 little "pop" tents.

being home helps you identify and clear out some clutter.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 08:42 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Finished the bathroom closet. Got rid of some empty plastic soap dispensers that I was "saving" for some reason and other things I can't remember now. I found some travel size Nexus shampoo and conditioner. I know the bottles are too big for my travel kit so they are in my shower now to get used up before I toss them.

I am going in for foot surgery on Wednesday and I am going to try to get some more minor decluttering things done before then.
1) Paperwork in my pantry(Two small file boxes and two stacking trays)
2) My work bag (a tote bag that I use as a briefcase)
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 09:19 PM  
Vantreesta

I got home last night from a week with my family. My dad and I walked every day except Sunday. I took today as a "recalibrating" day to have some me time and get my head back in the game. Back at it tmrw. I promise myself I will get to work on decluttering and organizing!

Leslie, I hope your foot surgery goes well!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-29-20, 05:07 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

dropped off 3 sheets and throw blanket to the animal shelter.
dropped off a few things to goodwill last week.
DD is moving into an apartment with her BF and I'm taking over the desk in her old room. She went through a few things for me and we put a few things in the donate bag and threw away some things. They are in the process of moving but once they are in she will probably go through her room here and get rid of things.

Leslie - I hope your surgery went well.
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 01:41 PM  
Sissy B

We dropped off a load of donations at Goodwill on Saturday.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-20, 03:49 PM  
Vantreesta

I worked some in the spare room of dumping last week and have set aside some of my grandma's crochet thread to give to my aunt. She is going to try making Grandma's Christmas ornaments and I have no idea when I'll try it so I offered her what I have. When I'm finally ready to try it I will just buy some since it isn't super expensive.

Old 08-10-20, 09:08 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I sold some more stuff on craigslist plus had some stuff listed for nominal amounts ($1-3 dollars each). Some sold but finally after weeks of no interest in the others, I decided to list the remaining giveaway items in the free section of craigslist and they're slowly being picked up by various strangers.

Still have a couple free items left though. I'm trying to avoid dumping too much on Goodwill* because I think they're being inundated right now and some of this stuff is breakable or a set, etc. and I don't trust Goodwill not to just trash certain things (because they can't resell everything that gets donated).

Anyways, I thought one person would want to come and get all the free things but people are just picking and choosing. One guy just wanted the vintage electric wok. One guy just wanted the brand new 20x20 HVAC filter still in shrinkwrap plus a slightly used toiletry case for travel. A lot of interest in the cheap laptop bag I got for free through an old job I had that I was hanging onto even though I have a million laptop bags already. Finally someone came and got the laptop bag. It's frustrating that when I give stuff away for free, I seem to get a higher proportion of flaky people who don't ever come to get it off my front porch as scheduled. That's why I like charging something nominal sometimes just to avoid that issue.

Today someone came to get 2 free pairs of size 8.5 shoes, lightly worn.

I think the only free things I still have listed are a vintage vacuum and extra vacuum bags to go with it and an overnight travel bag. I had someone flake out on picking up the vacuum Saturday. And someone else flaked out on the travel bag on another day.

Anyways, between that and some craigslist sales, the piles that had developed in the living room are almost gone.

*I did donate some garbage bags of clothing to Goodwill a couple weeks after they reopened.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
de-clutter, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, minimalist, minimizing