Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-20, 01:08 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

My cats are bored!

My spoiled cats have all kinds of toys. I have a drawer full of balls, fur mice, plastic thingies, a laser pointer, you name it.

Not. Interested.

A closet with wands where I can attach feather things, fur things and rattling foil things and wave them around like an idiot?

Not. Interested.

The tried-and-true paper balls and paper bags?

Bored. Now.

Sigh... Any suggestions?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 01:20 PM  
sherry7899

I will be following this thread. Our tuxedo cat Mila gets into things all the time other than the cat toys.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 01:21 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Catnip! My kitty Midnight devours it!

Otherwise, she likes the balled up paper wrappers but I think you mentioned that already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	midnight carpet.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	4692  
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 01:23 PM  
sherry7899

Our cats do like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Petstages-Tow...language=en_US

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 01:38 PM  
laurajhawk

One of ours likes this one - it's a similar concept to Sherry's, but different:
https://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Turbo-...upplies&sr=1-2

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 01:58 PM  
antbuko

The occasional catnip fest works for my cats. If I give it to them too often, then it becomes ho-hum, but once in awhile it amuses them for a half-hour or so. The Turbo scratcher is one of the best toys I've ever gotten them; we've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. I also picked up this weird toy from Amazon, which they are both intrigued by and also a little frightened of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: Catnip bubbles are also amusing, occasionally. They also like small, soft, fuzzy balls that I can toss up to them when they're in the cat tree. I have one cat who likes to catch them and the other two enjoy watching. They also like watching me dust the floor with a dust mop. They like to watch me do interesting things.

ETA: Tissue paper is also fun. If I scatter sheets of tissue paper on the floor they love playing in it. I learned this at Christmas time a couple of years ago.
Old 06-26-20, 03:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

for whatever reason, our cat Mimi (13 calendar YO) has never warmed up to toys designed for cats.

however, lately, she really adores a simple tennis ball! she will also paw a golf ball. i don't know if it's because it has our smell on it or what. i was using the tennis ball to do body-rolling and foot massaging. i do the same with the golf ball we keep in the living room.

sometimes, it's just age. older cats are simply unimpressed with anything in general!

what about a mirror? there's also videos on youtube for cats - the one with birds and the other one with fish.

edited to add: Mimi also got ahold of a wad of elastic that i was planning to use to make masks with. i had to put it in a box to keep it away from her. i wouldn't mind so much but at the time, elastic was scarce. it came unwrapped - the vendor sold it with a simple string tied around it. i left it out, and Mimi went wild with it - around 2 yds.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 04:23 PM  
Sollamyn

When I had two cats (the ones in my avatar), they played with each other but I couldn't get them to play with me. I tried EVERTHING! However, when I had a single cat (prior to the pair mentioned above), I had to discover what he liked to do--not necessarily what he wanted to play with. (He liked pouncing on objects like a dowel that I would place under a blanket and move around.) Same goes with my current single cat. She is about three years old and still plays a lot. She loves to chase and be chased, and she loves to hide and spring on me. She does have a couple of favorite toys that she plays with by herself, but that I've also used in interactive play. However, she doesn't always need a toy in order to have fun.

In short, it's often a matter of observation and experimentation when it comes to figuring out what cats enjoy doing.

Good luck!

Donna
Old 06-26-20, 04:30 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hmm, a bathtub full of goldfish? (just kidding!! )

Or a new kitten? (just kidding again! )

I know you said you have a drawer full of various things including balls, but have you specifically tried ping pong balls? Most irritating toy ever but boy, my kitties love them and it's the best thing I've found to distract them from certain bad behaviors I want to avoid!

Keep us posted on what you figure out!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 05:58 PM  
Harivelo

Snakes ? AKA long shoe laces, thin belts, plastic ribbons used for reinforcing packages etc... My indoor cats taught me that they love snakes and that their favorites are long pieces of satin cord (link below). I make a big knot with a short piece sticking out at the end. That's the snake's head and its sticking tongue or maybe a mouse with its long tail. My snakes slither, jump or fly depending on the cats' mood. People online rave about cat hockey but my cats couldn't care less. You put table tennis balls in the bottom of a large box or tub with lower sides. The cat chases the balls around. My cats aren't interested in the free online cat games either but yours may love those.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat topic