Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-18, 10:31 AM  
gwenna

Jillian style workout but not her

I normally do Leslie workouts but am looking to add more weights to my workouts. I would like something that is only 20 to 30 minutes that I can do daily (or 5 or 6 days a week). Something like Jillian's workouts, but without her because I cannot stand listening to her. Is there something like that? I have a lot of videos... and quite likely have something in my collection but many of them I have never done I want to not have to think about what I'm going to do, which is what appeals to me about her workouts, you do version 1 for 10 days, then the next one for 10 days. Does that make sense? Hope so. I don't want variety for the next month or so to get me back on track and consistent with things. Thanks!
gwenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-18, 11:26 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

admission: i looked at your old posts to get an idea of what you might own or tried in the past.

the natural progression from Leslie is usually The Firm for many VFers. granted, they stopped issuing new workouts, but many of them are still good. Firm Volume 1 with Susan Harris is excellent - it has cardio for the first half followed by weights, and it doesn't use a box - it's all floor cardio. a newer Firm series is their BSS1 set that uses weights, and you'll need a fanny lifter.

Stephanie Huckabee, a former Firm instructor has her PowerFit series - all 20 min, and uses a band. you can easily sub with dumbbells. you can also add a step for intensity - the moves show her "stepping" on an imaginary step.

10 Minute solution Target Toning with Cindy Whitmarsh is also pretty good - all body parts are worked, and it's a simple weights DVD, barely any compound moves and Cindy gets straight to the point. Anything by Cindy is pretty good, really.

I noticed one of your old posts you mentioned getting KCM Start Here - if you did indeed buy it, i suggest trying that one. the other KCMs you own such as Circuit Burn and Body Training are also good.

P90 was refilmed - that's a good series that uses weights and also has separate cardio workouts that are a step up from Leslie. these workouts are around 30-40 min.

21 Day Fix, the original set, is also pretty good. workouts are 30 min.

Chris Freytag's ACE HIIT is pretty good too - tough, uses weights, and Chris is just great. if you can get ahold of her 10 Pound Slimdown series, they're all 20 min each, and quite tough.

Tom Holland or Gilad also have excellent weights workouts. Tom's Total Body workout is great, as is his Supreme 90 series. Gilad's Quick Fit system has a sculpt DVD and 3 cardio workouts. the Sculpt DVD has short segments that you can do on their own or string together. his cardio workouts in that series are 30 min.

Cathe's pure strength is a good weight training workout and she has her low impact series too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 09:57 AM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I would also check out some of Tracie Long's workouts. Her recent ones have Metabolic Strength and Core Movements. Some of her earlier ones are also good.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 10:28 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
admission: i looked at your old posts to get an idea of what you might own or tried in the past.

the natural progression from Leslie is usually The Firm for many VFers. granted, they stopped issuing new workouts, but many of them are still good. Firm Volume 1 with Susan Harris is excellent - it has cardio for the first half followed by weights, and it doesn't use a box - it's all floor cardio. a newer Firm series is their BSS1 set that uses weights, and you'll need a fanny lifter.

Stephanie Huckabee, a former Firm instructor has her PowerFit series - all 20 min, and uses a band. you can easily sub with dumbbells. you can also add a step for intensity - the moves show her "stepping" on an imaginary step.

10 Minute solution Target Toning with Cindy Whitmarsh is also pretty good - all body parts are worked, and it's a simple weights DVD, barely any compound moves and Cindy gets straight to the point. Anything by Cindy is pretty good, really.

I noticed one of your old posts you mentioned getting KCM Start Here - if you did indeed buy it, i suggest trying that one. the other KCMs you own such as Circuit Burn and Body Training are also good.

P90 was refilmed - that's a good series that uses weights and also has separate cardio workouts that are a step up from Leslie. these workouts are around 30-40 min.

21 Day Fix, the original set, is also pretty good. workouts are 30 min.

Chris Freytag's ACE HIIT is pretty good too - tough, uses weights, and Chris is just great. if you can get ahold of her 10 Pound Slimdown series, they're all 20 min each, and quite tough.

Tom Holland or Gilad also have excellent weights workouts. Tom's Total Body workout is great, as is his Supreme 90 series. Gilad's Quick Fit system has a sculpt DVD and 3 cardio workouts. the Sculpt DVD has short segments that you can do on their own or string together. his cardio workouts in that series are 30 min.

Cathe's pure strength is a good weight training workout and she has her low impact series too.
Jeanine, you rock. You have an expert's depth of understanding and a dilettante's scope of reference. I learn something new from every one of your posts. Thank you.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 11:41 AM  
gwenna

Thanks for the information. I have been trying to do 30 Day Shred (with no talking, just the music) and seem to have done something to my knee. I am going to pull out my PowerFit's (I have all 3 sets) and see if they are a bit gentler on my knee. I really want to do something, my arms are so jiggly, and I know losing fat is the way to really fix that but I also want to be stronger. Getting older has made all of this so much harder. I would love to do my Slim in 6 or the Firm originals (I have volumes 1 and 2) but they are so long. I feel like I don't have enough time for everything that needs to get done in a day, I can't seem to get up as early as I once did. Lots of excuses I miss being in my 20's and 30's (before kiddo) when I could spend an hour twice a day working out. Now it seems I am lucky to get 30 minutes in. Any way! Thanks for the detailed suggestions, I appreciate it.
gwenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 01:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Jeanine, you rock. You have an expert's depth of understanding and a dilettante's scope of reference. I learn something new from every one of your posts. Thank you.
I was thinking something very similar! You had such great, personalized ideas, Jeanine!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 02:13 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Gonna throw in a recommendation for Violet Zaki's Weight Loss Cardio Sculpt and Weight Loss Cardio Kick. Two DVDs, each with two 20min workouts (30mins incl warm-up and cool down). They are not as tough as Jillian's but they are along the same lines and I like them so much more. They don't really progress per se but they offer decent variety and are short and 'play nicely' with Leslie. There are modifiers too.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 03:16 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Bipasha Basu's Love Yourself workouts are similar to Jillian Michaels circuit workouts with the 3-2-1 formula, 3 min. strength, 2 min. cardio and 1 min. abs, the DVD has two 25 min. workouts (beginner and advanced), Bipasha is very pleasant, you can check the whole workouts on youtube, to see if that's something you'd enjoy. I also enjoy her Breakfree dance routine. I got her 3 DVD set with Love Yourself, Breakfree and Unleash for around $20 shipped to Canada from eBay. Production values are very nice.

Beginner workout

Advanced workout

Breakfree dance routine

Unleash

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 04:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
you're so kind! i am flattered by your words.

i thought of another one: Erin O'Brien. tough, efficient, and kind. i love Erin so much that i bought her 2 prenatal/postnatal set.

I think someone might have mentioned Kathy Smith's lift weights to lose weight - right to the point, and both workouts are 20 min each. great as an add-on. it's sometimes referred to as LW2LW here on VF. she has a sequel , LW2LW2, which is similar and has a killer stability ball bonus workout.

Lucky's suggestion for Violet Zaki is also another good set to have.

i also remember people mentioning met-rx 180 with Frank Sepe - short weight workouts. you can buy the set for pretty cheap now.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 06:44 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
Bipasha Basu's Love Yourself workouts are similar to Jillian Michaels circuit workouts with the 3-2-1 formula, 3 min. strength, 2 min. cardio and 1 min. abs, the DVD has two 25 min. workouts (beginner and advanced), Bipasha is very pleasant, you can check the whole workouts on youtube, to see if that's something you'd enjoy. I also enjoy her Breakfree dance routine. I got her 3 DVD set with Love Yourself, Breakfree and Unleash for around $20 shipped to Canada from eBay. Production values are very nice.

Beginner workout

Advanced workout

Breakfree dance routine

Unleash
Those look great! I'll be trying some one of these days soon......
bee is offline   Reply With Quote