Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-17, 04:13 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone! Lots of good suggestions to try.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 04:15 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Agree about vanicream. I like applying the Vanicream Lite Lotion to dry areas after a shower like elbows, hands, etc. Even though it's "Lite", it's only light IMO relative to their Moisturizing Skin Cream which is really thick and that I also sometimes use but it's thicker and harder to spread over large areas.

For issues like nose skin rubbed raw from kleenex usage during allergy/cold season, I liberally apply aquaphor to the chapped areas before bed. I also had an unfortunate incident with Nair once and aquaphor was a lifesaver over the course of several days.
Bless you for this.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 04:39 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I tend to steer clear of coconut oil as is can be comedogenic. There are a lot of lists online that rate oils/ingredients on their acnegenic and irritant rating. Here's one for example:

http://authenticwellness.ca/comedoge...edogenic-oils/

If you don't have acne-prone skin, coconut oil is probably OK.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-17, 06:55 PM  
donnamp

I found good "recipes" for homemade skin care (and household cleaning products) on this site:

https://livesimply.me/

I think I made a coconut oil moisturizer last year - I think it was coconut and aloe.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 12:03 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Does anyone have a resource about using oils for skincare? Carrier oils not essential oils. My skin is so dry this winter that the regular day and night creams just aren't cutting it. I use some Argan and rosehip oils but lately I've been reading conflicting reports. Some say oils are very occlusive and should not be used. Dr Dray is also not a fan of using oils as she says they don't moisturize or hold the moisture in they just slip. They do soften the skin but that is it. So I'd like to know if they good and if so what is the right order of applying them? And can they be used at night or are they too occlusive? Thanks!
From what I've seen on You Tube skin care videos, some people add a few drops of oil to their moisturizer, and it bumps up the moisturizing ability of the cream or lotion. Perhaps you could try that, and see how it works.

I think Dr Dray is not a fan of using oils by themselves, but she says you can top them with a moisturizer. That way it seals them in, and they don't slip off.
Old 12-20-17, 12:07 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I like Dr. Dray, but don't find her the be-all-end-all of skincare. In one of her videos, she recommended a facial moisturizer that contains METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE. So, I don't consider her an ingredient expert. I don't believe everything that Paula Begoun has to say either.
Dr Dray has mentioned more than once that the Hado Labo plumping gel contains the Meth preservative (too lazy to copy it, lol), and that your skin could be sensitive to it. Since I have sensitive skin, I avoid it.

But I don't follow everything that Dr Dray recommends. I eat meat and I am not giving up my makeup, lol. I don't agree with Paula on everything either, but I will always have a fondness for her. I never knew I had a fragrance allergy, and following her advice to avoid fragrance did wonders for my skin.
Old 12-22-17, 10:06 AM  
sherry7899

If anyone likes Philosophy products, Macys has them on sale with free shipping.
I admit to ordering the Gingerbread set mainly because I love their lip glosses.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 11:45 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Dr Dray has mentioned more than once that the Hado Labo plumping gel contains the Meth preservative (too lazy to copy it, lol), and that your skin could be sensitive to it. Since I have sensitive skin, I avoid it.

But I don't follow everything that Dr Dray recommends. I eat meat and I am not giving up my makeup, lol. I don't agree with Paula on everything either, but I will always have a fondness for her. I never knew I had a fragrance allergy, and following her advice to avoid fragrance did wonders for my skin.
That's why I still buy some of Paula's products.

I like fragrance, but not in facial care products!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 11:49 AM  
donnamp

I agree, fragrance on my face - yuck! I am not allergic, but I hate smelling fragrance on my face all day. I don't even like fragranced facial cleansers, that you rinse off.

I think Dr. Dray is pretty fair - she will mention that certain ingredients have the potential to cause problems, but that not everyone will react to them. I also like how she says she can never predict if someone will have a problem, react, or break out from something - that is honest, at least - we're all individuals and will react or not react to different things.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 12:27 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
That's why I still buy some of Paula's products.

I like fragrance, but not in facial care products!
Me too. I love it in shampoo and conditioner, but not in my facial products.

Tags
beauty thread, beauty tips, dr dray, hotandflashy, makeupalley, paulas choice