Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-16, 10:47 PM  
Candiceena

Converting Indoor/Outdoor cat to Indoor-Only?

Hi VFers,

I am coming to you with an OT thread (sorry but need help). I recently moved into a 520 square foot apartment and brought my 3 year old cat with me. He has previously always been indoor/outdoor, even in an apartment, he had deck access to be outside. But now they have a strict policy and I am on the first floor so he has to be indoors only, unless I put him on a leash.

I tried that - it only works w/ moderate success.

It seems that when I bring him outdoors for supervised visits - he gets even MORE sad when he comes back in.

I am also fighting that he is now alone indoors all day. He has had cat-buddies before but he's never been 100% indoors and 100% alone. I feel so horrible. He cries at the door and mews at the windows. It is literally ripping out my heart and I feel sick to my stomach. I tried leaving windows open during all hours but it gets too cold and I can't afford to heat the outdoors like that (seriously).

I'm considering getting him a buddy, another cat, kitten-aged, but am on the fence. I can afford it but I worry if that will fix the problem or even help it? My other option is to move but I came here because of the excellent price on rent - I would end up paying over $200 more anywhere else and this is a nice and safe complex and other than this problem - I totally love living here, and don't want to leave.

Help! Does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-10-16, 12:37 AM  
Taiga

Perhaps a temporary solution to help with the transition, maybe a kitty dvd like this one ? You will see that some folks in the reviews used this to help their cats transition to indoors only. My sister's cat loved this dvd though I know not all cats will connect with it. Her cat would watch it for hours day in and day out. Stopped him from howling when she sectioned him off in the house during the work day. Could be worth the experiment for $13. Also, you can rotate with animal shows or any other topics of interest (my cat "likes" shows about puppies etc)

ETA: Make sure your tv can take some kitty swats
Old 04-10-16, 06:08 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

What Taiga hasn't suggested isn't a bad idea. Both of my parents would leave the TV on during the day when they were at work for their pets so there was a little noise in the house, not so silent. I used to dog sit for my dad when he would go out of town and he specifically asked me to leave the TV on for them. At night in their kennels it would be off though.

Maybe it provided some sort of comfort for the pets, didn't feel so lonely, but in both of their cases there were multiple animals also. At any rate, it worked fine. I didn't know that DVDs like that existed, give it a try!

You could try and get your cat a buddy, but if there was a problem say they didn't get along or something then your problem would be compounded. Plus, more pets equals more $$$, if you are on a budget that is, not sure if that's the case here.

Just my two cents...I think the DVD is worth a shot.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 08:08 AM  
andtckrtoo

As suggested, leave the TV or a radio on so there is some sound. I would also add some features to your apartment to allow him to "level up". Some "Cat Shelves" and especially "window seats" so he can climb around and pretend he's outside. If you have the ability to hang a bird feeder by the window seats, all the better. He'll have something to watch. (I call it Cat TV). Also make specific play time so he's interacted with. Spend a good 20 minutes a day with him stimulating him. Cats, believe it or not, love interaction with us. Also if he's leash trained, consider actually walking him like you would a dog.

If you are considering another cat, he would be happier with a cat and not a kitten. Kittens are adorable but they are a pain the in the bum. Find a cat or kitten who has a similar energy level.

I've done it, and the cat actually settled pretty well. It just took some creativity on my part.
Old 04-11-16, 02:57 PM  
Sandrine

Hi, Candice,
I don't have a real answer, but just wanted to say how much I admire your kindness in acknowledging your cat's feelings.

You've gotten some good suggestions, above. I would like to second the idea of the window seat, or one of the cat post/climbers. My very inquisitive cat loves his (one of each, both at windows) probably because they enable him to be comfortable while he looks out. And if he doses off, he's safe and comfortable.

I also wanted to add that walking your kitty on the leash is not a bad idea, even if it turns into following him around a bit while he sniffs everything in sight, which is what happened when I walked one of my previous cats. Perhaps you could make coming home something to look forward to by making it treat-time, or something else your cat enjoys?

And finally, if you do decide to add a second cat, I would suggest a younger, smaller cat but, as Andtkrtoo suggested, not a kitten. That way, the Alpha cat position is a bit more automatic and the energy levels and play will more likely be similar.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 04:13 PM  
NorthernStar

You are a great kitty mom!

I have been in this exact situation and was successful. I took my cat from my mom's house (where he was constantly outdoors in a huge backyard at his leisure) to a small apartment (on the 10th floor, so the balcony was a no-no). It was quite an adjustment period but he got used to it after about a month.

I gave him lots of treats and attention, and got some toys to keep him occupied. I also staked out a nice comfy spot at a window so he could hang out and watch. The cat shelf is a great idea. He will get used to it eventually.

It may not be ideal, but he will come around. I treat my pets like a member of the family. Ultimately, this means they need to adjust with the rest of "the family" to a new living situation.

After about 6 months, I ended up getting another cat and they quickly became best buddies. If you are interested in having a second cat and can manage it, they can be great companions. If you can't though, he will adapt on his own.
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 09:24 PM  
bfit

Cats are creatures of habit, and I think what he probably misses most is his old "routine" so it's important to establish a new routine. Maybe take him out on the leash once a day at the same time and play with him indoors once a day at the same time so he gets used to expecting those happy times. Also, get lots of things for indoor stimulation - climbing posts, window seats, toys that he can safely play with by himself when you're gone, and so on. Finally, if you just moved there part of the reason he may want to go out is because it's all unfamiliar and he wants to check out his "territory". Over time that may fade. I had a friend who did not let her very elderly cat outside any longer because she thought it was unsafe for him at his age, and even he adjusted.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-16, 08:30 AM  
BunnyHop

When my old cat was a kitten, I created a kind of den for him in the linen closet/bathroom, and left him in there when I wasn't home. He felt safe there.
Old 04-12-16, 09:30 AM  
dlg

Maybe you could look into fostering a rescue to see if a new kitty would help your kitty. If you found that is does and you get attached - you can just adopt your foster. If not, I think the rescue places can work with you if the cats are not compatible.
Old 04-13-16, 09:32 AM  
Candiceena

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to say thank you all for the responses! My modem broke so I haven't been able to get online for a few days, but I appreciate everything everyone has said! Especially the part about Mr Kitty being part of the family, so he has to "adapt" like the rest of the family.

So, I have purchased one Kitty Sill from amazon and Mr Kitty is in LOVE with it! I put it in my bedroom window so he can look out that window at the grass field. i also bought some bird food and put it on the patio area, so now he has been watching and "chirping" at the birds. I also got a hummingbird feeder. I am going to get another kitty sill for one of the front windows so he can comfortably bird-watch, and then I am going to save up for a tall kitty-condo to put by the other window.

I haven't taken him out or let him out for a couple of days, and honestly, he seems to do a bit better being strictly indoors. Even though its only been a couple days, he is even doing better about trying to run out the front door when I first open it. I used to have to grab him but now I can just make some "psst psst" noises and he doesn't even try to walk out the door.

I am feeling so much better now! I think with the birds coming up to the windows (and I have seen little finch-like birds but also 2 or 3 big blue jays! and the hummingbird too so there is a lot of variety for his viewing pleasure, hehe) he seems to have something to occupy him.

Of course I'm not done "cat-ifying" the apartment for him but I did take some of your suggestions and they are all working out great. I am going to think some more about getting a second cat. My IRL friend said "what if he likes being the King of the Apartment and doesn't want to share his territory?" which is a good point. he has always been around other cats but never in a small space like this, so we'll see.

I am also going to pick up a Kitty DVD. Those are great ideas! One last thing ... so funny, I dropped the shaker ball of my protein shaker on the ground & Mr Kitty totally pounced it. So needless to say he has a new toy and now I need to order a new shaker ball, hehe.

Thank you all for your encouraging words and tips! I appreciate it so much!!