Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-16, 12:53 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Just today, I was purchasing some new workout clothes and told the salesperson that I was buying them for an upcoming fitness weekend (the Cathe roadtrip), and she asked me where it was. When I started to explain who Cathe was and that she made fitness DVD's and online workouts, the salesperson looked like I had just started speaking a foreign language that she never heard before. I stopped talking because I could tell she was not the least bit interested. Silly me assumed she would be interested and would want to look up Cathe and try her workouts! Even after all these years of trying to spread my enthusiasm for fitness, I am still disappointed when people aren't interested. And they never are.

People I know think I am an alien whose body stays the same size. Most people I know have gained weight and have become less active with age. I realize that there comes a point where I cannot motivate someone. I have stopped discussing my fitness lifestyle with people, unless they ask. It's nearly impossible to have a conversation about fitness with most people. Either they aren't interested or don't have any knowledge about fitness or exercise.

Thank goodness for VF!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 10:00 AM  
laurajhawk

I'm sure I've said this on this thread before, but ... Colorado!

I don't really know a lot of vidiots here (and the ones I do, I met at VF), so I don't spend lunch hours talking about the new KCMs or anything like that, but I can talk to people. I have yoga buddies at work and at the studio (and sometimes they do DVDs); I have a friend who always means to do DVDs but ends up at the gym because she's just sociable; I have a coworker who can't really make it through P90X but his wife does (and he trains for marathons and climbs mountains, so he's not actually slacking). And my workplace is aging ... I'm near the average at 52 years old; these are mostly people my age that I'm talking about. It's kind of awesome.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 10:33 AM  
muggle

FitBoop, I swear I could've written that post exactly! Just this past weekend I was at a family function. Yes, we are all getting older and some, well...bigger. So I am inevitably asked about my "Exercise thing". I proceeded to talk about my new venture into streaming, my basement workout zen etc. The glassy eyed look happened quick!! I mentioned to my cousin that Susan Chung has her Martial Arts center near where she lives. I talked about how excellent her workouts are, we could actually go there and take a class (It would be far for me but I would def do it). My cousin said "Oh my God, she's right down the street!" I said "Let's go!". No thanks was the response. People will critique what I eat and don't eat, what I do and don't do, "poke fun" at my healthy habits and enthusiasm for working out. It can really piss me off sometimes. If you really don't want to know about it.....don't ask!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 11:17 AM  
donellda

I have a hard time finding people with the same interest in fitness that I have also. I think my husband's family consider us health nuts but we just want to escape our genetics and have healthy lives.
donellda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 11:47 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I'm sure I've said this on this thread before, but ... Colorado!

I don't really know a lot of vidiots here (and the ones I do, I met at VF), so I don't spend lunch hours talking about the new KCMs or anything like that, but I can talk to people. I have yoga buddies at work and at the studio (and sometimes they do DVDs); I have a friend who always means to do DVDs but ends up at the gym because she's just sociable; I have a coworker who can't really make it through P90X but his wife does (and he trains for marathons and climbs mountains, so he's not actually slacking). And my workplace is aging ... I'm near the average at 52 years old; these are mostly people my age that I'm talking about. It's kind of awesome.
From what I've read, Laura, people are, in general, more fit and active out west. Here in the southern US the obesity rate is outrageous. Partly it's the fried foods and butter and sweet tea that's part of the culture. Part of it is not having good urban planning so there are no sidewalks, etc. a lot of places. I couldn't walk even to my post office without getting run over and I'm in a rural area. Part of it is the humidity and bugs which can make outdoor exercise tough on a lot of people. That's why I love streaming, etc. but lots of people have the mentality of gym only and that can get hard to get to if you work, etc.
Old 05-04-16, 12:34 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
FitBoop, I swear I could've written that post exactly! Just this past weekend I was at a family function. Yes, we are all getting older and some, well...bigger. So I am inevitably asked about my "Exercise thing". I proceeded to talk about my new venture into streaming, my basement workout zen etc. The glassy eyed look happened quick!! I mentioned to my cousin that Susan Chung has her Martial Arts center near where she lives. I talked about how excellent her workouts are, we could actually go there and take a class (It would be far for me but I would def do it). My cousin said "Oh my God, she's right down the street!" I said "Let's go!". No thanks was the response. People will critique what I eat and don't eat, what I do and don't do, "poke fun" at my healthy habits and enthusiasm for working out. It can really piss me off sometimes. If you really don't want to know about it.....don't ask!
LOL, Muggle! They love to hear about it, but it's not because they are interested in doing it themselves. People like hearing about how OTHER people exercise, and even when they say, "I really need to get on an exercise program," they don't really mean that they intend to actually do it. It's one of those things on their "to do list" that never gets done.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 01:54 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
If you really don't want to know about it.....don't ask!
Amen to that! I just don't want to talk about my fitness routines with anyone, except my fitness-minded daughter (who loves KCM). Sounds snotty, but I really don't feel like having discussions on fitness with people who aren't fit. A coworker of mine asked for help getting into shape a few years ago, but she doesn't really want to do the work. I hear, "I'm too old for that." I politely told her I don't listen to excuses. She never asked me again. She tried to convince me that she didn't know why she was overweight, because she doesn't eat sweets. Really? Her lunches consist of fat, fat, fat. I just let her talk and try to convince herself. That's really what she is doing, needing validation. I don't comment on peoples diet at all, none of my business. You're in charge of what you eat.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 02:06 PM  
Chomper

Fitness is a hobby for me. I do it because I love it and I miss it when I can't do it. I don't expect people to listen to me go on and on about a hobby they don't share. People ask polite questions and they usually don't want a 20 minute answer. Conversations are supposed to be give and take. I am lucky that my family and friends enjoy my fitness nerd-dorm. That doesn't mean they want to hear a lot about it, though. They enjoy teasing me but it's affectionate. I also don't judge people for not taking part in my hobby. Like others, I also have experienced people asking for advice about fitness, and then not following through or making excuses. This, to me, is just human nature. I might ask a piano playing enthusiast about music lessons because I am playing around with the idea of how hard it would be to learn at my age. That doesn't mean I am going to decide to take the plunge and start learning.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-16, 02:16 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Very interesting thread. I am sure all of us can relate.

It's better for me now that I'm a regular gym member, but before that when home workouts were all I did, I felt like the Lone Ranger! I have an awesome "fitness family" now, consisting of all the members of my bootcamp and strength training classes.

However, that only covers my gym buddies. Other than those people, I am definitely not the norm with my working out and eating. It seems that a lot of people want to toss excuses my way about why they are out of shape and unhealthy. I had someone the other day try to tell me they were "too old" to do strenuous exercise. The funny thing about that particular excuse is that I am 10 years older than the person who said it. What can you do other than shake your head?

I have to tell a story just because I'm old and I'm proud of what I did because I am so old! At the end of bootcamp the other night our instructor decided he would throw in some "ab work", and at the same time make it a contest. So he had us lie on our backs, legs extended and hold them straight out, 6 inches above the ground for as long as we could. I went 4:55. The entire class was 20 up to 40 years younger than I am. I beat them all. Next contest was a plank contest. He had us start out on our elbows and plank for a minute, then up to our hands for a minute, then on our hands with one leg lifted for a minute, then on our hands with the other leg lifted for a minute, then back down to elbows for a minute. I made it. Nobody else did. See what old chicks who have been doing "those exercise videos" at home for decades can do?
Old 05-04-16, 03:16 PM  
TinaS

No one I know shares my passion for working out and clean eating. Over the years, I have learned to dial back my enthusiasm. I found that people will ask what I do to keep in shape, or what I eat, but don’t really want to know.
And forget about talking dvds/home workouts! A definite, don’t go there! People find it kind of freaky. So, even though I would love to share my experiences, I don’t!

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote