Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-10, 08:58 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Exclamation (OLD THREAD) Jillian Michaels' view on pregnancy...whoa!

She wants to adopt rather than give birth: "I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that to my body."

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/jillian-mic...comments--1178

I never had kids, but to me this just shows how narcissistic she is and concerned more about looks than health. If she ever was a role model for me before, she sure ain't now...

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:01 AM  
chrisqan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
She wants to adopt rather than give birth: "I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that to my body."

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/jillian-mic...comments--1178

I never had kids, but to me this just shows how narcissistic she is and concerned more about looks than health. If she ever was a role model for me before, she sure ain't now...
yeah, i read that yesterday on yahoo news- and she wants to replace oprah! she definitely needs to see a therapist.
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:03 AM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I saw that too and thought, "I knew there was a good reason I didn't like her."
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:08 AM  
D72

I read that last night too. There are truly no words...Yeah. I also recall reading those comments she made about Oprah (repeated in the above piece) sometime last year too. But that's another thread! Probably it was at some point anyway!

Diana
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:16 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I worked with a woman who said the exact same thing so it doesn't surprise me. She also worked hard keeping her body slim and tight and decided a baby would "ruin" her figure.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:22 AM  
Mary09(b)

The body bounces back amazingly fast and easily. It's not hard to see evidence of that all over the place. Our bodies are made to do it. Maybe she thinks we're designed to perch like gargoyles on cardio equipment.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:25 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

An expert in the article says that it's different for her because she relies on her looks for her job, but plenty of models and actresses have had babies and bounced back just fine, so...that argument doesn't hold water, IMHO!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:25 AM  
KathAL79

I think the point someone made in the article that Jillian's marketing includes her body makes some sense as to why she has such an extreme attitude, even if it doesn't excuse the message she's sending to others. Think of the unreal pressure Hollywood stars have put on themselves; they seem to be having a competition on who can get her pre-baby body back fastest. (6 weeks seems to be the usual expectation, but I seem to remember photos of someone stepping out like 2 weeks after birth with a bare midriff.) One has to wonder if it's really worth it to have a baby if you're going to be so concerned about your own figure that you're willing to risk properly nourishing your unborn child.

I do have a relative whose decision to pass on having children seems to relate to some extent with her body image issues. One suspects this may be masking other reasons not to have children, though. But if she doesn't want children, then better she not have them for whatever reason, no matter how petty it may seem to others, than grudgingly give into pressure to have one.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:27 AM  
D72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09(b) View Post
Maybe she thinks we're designed to perch like gargoyles on cardio equipment.
Mary-you just made my day-thank you! I cannot stop laughing. I will never be able to look at Jillian again without thinking of perching gargoyles. On treadmills.

Diana
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:27 AM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
An expert in the article says that it's different for her because she relies on her looks for her job, but plenty of models and actresses have had babies and bounced back just fine, so...that argument doesn't hold water, IMHO!
Heidi Klum

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jillian michaels, pregnancy