Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-13, 01:12 AM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl View Post
Thanks for all your great suggestions. I keep debating about getting a sacro wedgy. I can't seem to find one in the UK though, so I'm trying to find an equivalent over here. All the IT band suggestions are great too. Thinking about it my IT band does feel much tighter on the right hand side and I hadn't thought about a connection with my achilles. I'm going to add in more IT band stretching and see if it helps.

Thanks everyone

Emma
Amazon.co.uk carries the Sacro Wedgy. I thought I was going to have to buy from there until I found a Dutch distributor.

A foam roller will release your IT band more effectively than stretching-- at least that is my experience. It is quite tender, though, so go slowly. You might also check out the MELT method (also available on Amazon.co.uk). The author believes that connective tissue is dehydrated and that foam rolling helps to move fluid and make the tissue more pliable. She also has some instructional videos on youtube.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 09:49 AM  
ncl

Here are the exercises the PT gave me:

1. planks on elbow for 30 seconds, followed by plank on side elbow on each side, each 30 seconds. Do this a total of 3 times.
2. side steps with firewalker band (small circular band). Take 2 steps to the right keeping tension on the band with knees slightly bent. Then take 2 steps to the left (keep feet hip width apart to wider). This is one rep...do 3 sets of 10 reps.
3. Stand on one foot and keeping torso straight (don't bend at the waist, but bend at the hip) reach down and touch the floor. Do 3 sets of 10 on each leg.
4. step ups on a 4-6 inch platform. Step up and lower down to the side, though don't actually touch down on the side and put your weight there. Also, 3 sets of 10 on each leg.

HTH!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 08:34 PM  
nancyzl

As others have suggested deep tissue massage has helped me a lot . Also
check out Jill Miller's Quick Fix videos, especially the exercieses focused on hips.
nancyzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 05:28 AM  
Keepfitgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbelly View Post
Amazon.co.uk carries the Sacro Wedgy. I thought I was going to have to buy from there until I found a Dutch distributor.

A foam roller will release your IT band more effectively than stretching-- at least that is my experience. It is quite tender, though, so go slowly. You might also check out the MELT method (also available on Amazon.co.uk). The author believes that connective tissue is dehydrated and that foam rolling helps to move fluid and make the tissue more pliable. She also has some instructional videos on youtube.
Thanks, Starbelly, I've found the Sacro Wedgy on Amazon. It wasn't there when I last looked. I do have one of the MELT method videos downloaded from youtube. Is the book easy to follow? I'm not great with books, I usually prefer to follow on DVD. Does she have any MELT method DVD's to buy?

Thanks

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 07:38 AM  
starbelly

Her writing style didn't click with me (she might have shoulder issues from patting herself on the back so much). I found some of her theories interesting, but I use other foam rolling videos. I really like this one http://www.myyogaonline.com/videos/p...he-foam-roller. You can download it for less than 6USD (4 if you want the ipad version). Once you get the hang of it, you can spend extra time working the areas you need.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piriformis syndrome