Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-22-19, 10:53 AM  
Buzzer

Firm vol 1... done!

I also walked 15,000 steps at great wolf lodge on Wednesday, and did a gym workout with LB, so it wasn’t crazy hard. But fun! We did ball work, rolled the medicine ball and did some lifts with it, and showed her how to use a treDmill, elliptical and recumbent bike. We were there 4 days and I was so pooped!

My computer battery needs to be replaced, so I also am checking in on an iPad. Not really easy to type on. It’s supposed to take 5 days for my computer to be fixed! That’s just crazy, I think.

We had all inclusive putt putt, climbing wall, bowling, and ropes course, so LB was in constant motion. She also had her wand, and the last two days our neighbor and their kids joined us. Lb got lost one of the nights... it was actually kinda bad. The neighbor dad was with her and his kids, looked over and thought me and the other mom had left, and took the kids to their room. Lb told him she’d go to her room, thinking we were there. Instead if walking her to her room, 6 floors up from his, he just let her go on her own. We weren’t there. We were still downstairs. She panicked. She texted Dh, but his phone was in the room and her Ipad texts as me, as if I sent the text, so I didn’t get it.

She was up there panicking and we had no idea for probably 15 minutes. We went looking for them, and couldn’t find them. Neighbors husband calls her, and we ask him if he has lb. he just says “no”. We panic. Finally he offers that he had her go to her room. We run up. I tell Dh “ she will be fine as long as she doesn’t panic”. Well, she panicked.
The neighbor met us in the hallway... now he decides to check on her,!

I open the door, she is panic sobbing. Poor kid! It took I
Us until after midnight to calm her down enough to sleep without nightmares. I’m glad it ended happy, but we will have new rules in place for sure!

So did vol 1 today since I can always motivate myself to do vol 1. I used 12 as my heavy weight. It was awesome, I had to pause quite a bit though.

Ebianco, good to see you, I hope what you are doing helps. Lb was fascinated at the sounds my knee makes. We had to use the stairs from the 10th floor because the elevators were broken while we were there. My knee was like crumbling paper. She loved it.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-19, 12:41 PM  
Buzzer

Firm Super Cardio Mix... DONE!
Firm Vol 2... DONE!

I have my computer back!!! YAY for typing easier!!

Yesterday was super cardio mix. for some reason I got it confused with the all step cardio workout, and was pleasantly surprised. I have this one almost memorized so it was fun!!

I have marked on it from years ago "easy, good for sore/tired day" and I think that's a freaking joke. maybe some day again...

Today was Vol 2, I needed to do more upper body after the brutal ness of vol 1 and yesterdays cardio, and this was good. I tried to do all the heavy with 12's, but had to drop down to 10's. I was a bit cranky to notice that whenever she says "grab heavy weights", they actually are missing their medium weights!! I don't think they actually used heavy weights for much fo the workout!! I wonder if perhaps after the workout was done, Anna went "wait, we didn't use heavy weights! Add in a voice over for "use heavy weights" and let's get some heavy weight work in". Therefore, I did not feel too bad dropping down to my medium poundage.

Now I can definitely feel my shoulders and biceps. I look at vol 1 as more leg heavy, and vol 2 as more upper body. good compliments to each other. I have no idea how I used to do this with 20's and good form. I had to drop down a lot to 10's and even 8's!!! I still love this one and think Janet is so pretty.

We are going to my Mom & Dad's for Christmas Eve for a few hours. We let LB open one present this morning, so she is in her room stuffing her stuffed animals into her new bean bag chair cover/stuffie holder.

The dogs are wrestling, I am making treats to take to my parents', and DH is in town at his shop. I hope to get a workout in tomorrow. Probably afternoon though.

LB woke up at 5:45am saying she caught a moth. I tried to find it in the blanket she caught it in, I couldn't find it for sure. Told her to go back to bed. Like, 30 minutes later, she's freaking out because she saw the moth again and she can "see it's wing right there!!" it's dark, I can't see it. She ends up coming out on the couch after I shake out everything on her bed. An hour later, she's still up. She says she slept while I was working out, but I don't know. Today may be a crazy day, hopefully that means she sleeps in tomorrow!!

Merry Christmas, Eventmom and Ebianco!! I hope Santa brings you both good health!!!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 12-24-19, 05:29 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

how weird, I really think I posted last week after Ebianco but it's not there so maybe not?

I won't try to catch up 10 days - here's this week:

sunday - TA beg #1 + TA 1.1
monday - TA beg #1 + kathy smith cardio
today - barre 3 standing slim + TA popstar

ebianco - glad you are doing better and I didn't mean to ignore you after your last post.

buzzer- wow poor LB! but she is okay. I remember the first time DD woke up from a nap in the house when we were outside. I think she cried but she did come out to the barn and find us. after that, it was not an issue she'd just find us.

So I had a busy couple of weeks - beside the er/hospital (doing but better thanks to both of you for asking) got my grading done, got a paper submitted, ran about a zillion errands and can't wait to take a few days off to go to CO and NM.

hope you both have a Merry Christmas - it should be 68 degrees tomorrow, perfect riding weather!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-19, 11:38 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Strength... DONE!

I was going to do a sculpt blaster (don't remember the exact name) however it was only 30 minutes. I wanted an hour. So I quick changed to Firm Strength! I loved it. They didn't specify light/medium/heavy weights for most of it, just said "get bigger weights". I used 5, 8, 10 and 12's. It was really good.

I took yesterday off. LB got a snow globe for Christmas, and she loved it! However, in the evening, I was making dinner and I hear a "crash" and her panicked, distressed voice saying "My snow globe broke!!" ugh. she was shaking it and it fell out of her hands. I still hear her distressed voice in my head. So sad!! I have to look into either getting a new one, or seeing if I can replace the glass on it. Or just leave it as is and let her use the music box on it.

We had a good day otherwise! DH was "sick" and napped all morning, cruised his phone, and was anti-social. He finally helped LB with some legos in the evening, but it was difficult because I was trying to have all the enthusiasm for everything, plus play with LB and her new toys. PLUS make all the fancy food we eat for Christmas. PLUS take the dogs out and in, clean up Otis messes (he is a mess with his water), and keep Christmas going. It was exhausting.

Today is a low key day and tomorrow we are going to the museum.

Eventmom: I 'm glad you are doing better! LB is doing better. I let her have a long leash again at the hotel to test and make sure she was good, and she did fine. She's very independent. I need to make sure she's independent where it's OK and not where it's unsafe!

Ebianco: hope you had a great Christmas!! Congratulations on the new house! I hope everything works out for you!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 12-26-19, 12:26 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi All!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas, mine was great visiting with family and enjoying lots of excellent indulgent food LOL We only do gifts for the kids which I love, although I was surprised with a new cookbook which is great because I want to do some healthy cooking while I have a few days off of work.

After not exercising for a while, I overdid it with the Barlates last week, I could handle the DOMS and it didn't impact my knee, but my appetite So I'm taking it back down a notch this week.

Let me try to remember my workouts since my last check in:

Sunday: Buns of Steel the mat portion, which I haven't done in forever, and it was great and tough! Plus stretching.

Mon/Tues: Planned rest days

Wednesday: Firm Vol. 2 the warm up, last arm segment, and mat for a 35 minute-ish workout.

Today: On a whim I did this floor pilates style total body workout (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIaEYcr0Bfk) which was really good actually, I added ankle weights, and Classical Stretch 1029 for a 40 minute workout.

Buzzer You're just cycling through all those tough Firm workouts!

It's funny about LB, I used to be TERRIFIED of moths when I was little!!

That is also really funny about your knee popping, I can more feel the crunches than hear them but my ankles snap, crackle, and pop like crazy, but thankfully there's no pain associated.

Eventmom I found a random note the other day that was dated December of last year, and that's when I was doing my TA rotation. It seems like longer ago LOL.

I didn't feel ignored! Glad to be back in the checkin with you guys!!
Old 12-28-19, 12:00 PM  
Buzzer

Firm Volume 3 (the one with Sandahl Berman)... DONE!

It was tough. I stopped a LOT. I tried not to take the intensity down too much, so I paused more than I probably should have. I used 10's as my heavy weight, tried to focus on my form, and keep my energy up. This workout just seemed to go on forever though! She stretched, then did an exhausting leg set. Then stretched, then did chest work. stretched, then hip raises. HA! Just when I was all "yay! The stretch!" she would do something else. I have this workout memorized, but more memorized like I can say it along with her. Not memorized like I know the flow of it!

Yesterday LB, her BFF, and I spent about 7 hours at the museum. We got to meet Eventmom, who is just as sweet and easy to talk to as I expected! I told some off topic stories that were random of course, and when I was done I thought "what the heck was that all about?" but she didn't seem to notice.

We got to hang out for about 2 hours while LB and her BFF did some museum stuff, then my sister and her kids showed up and Eventmom had to leave, so we spent the afternoon with them. I tried to shove all my museum stuff into one day (since it's quite a drive) and, although it was a busy day, it was fun!!!

The museum floor is all concrete with icky carpet over it, so by the end of the day my whole body hurt. Just standing on the floor hurt. It was an amazingly great day though.

LB was so wired at the end, I think she was over tired and way excited!! she and her BFF had a blast!

So I think that's also why this mornings Firm was so tough. Too much walking on concrete yesterday!

Today is a chill day of cleaning. It's snowing, so a good day to camp in. The dogs are napping all morning and quiet, and I am cautiously hoping we can have a nice, quiet morning.

Ebianco: I'm glad your back!! I am cycling through the tough firms. I know them so well, it's easy to motivate myself to do them. I am pausing a LOT, so it's taking me over an hour to get through them. But I am loving it!! I, like you, am noticing an increase in my appetite. I'm trying to fight it, pay attention to whether I'm really hungry or just wanting to eat, and eating more healthy stuff and less snacking on Christmas leftovers. It's such a crazy balance.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 12-30-19, 07:16 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

oh gosh, I wasn't getting emails but I've been traveling so couldn't really check in . We are in Taos now so computer is set up!

Christmas - I think standing slim + cardio
26th - I know I stretched but not sure, I think Susan Bowen
27th - TA beg #2
28th - barre workout from a cody app set I bought
29th - spliced together 2 segments from essentrics barre I downloaded long ago
today - gym workout - took it easy but my hip is not happy, and I think it was from ab work which makes me extra mad that I cut back on workouts because of that naturopath

Buzzer - it was great meeting you and LB in person! All the walking in Denver - with you and LB then the Monet exhibit at the art museum 2 days ago plus walking around downtown I'm sore too! Vol 3 was my first firm and still my most favorite! I didn't really notice you off topic - anyway that's what's nice about in person meet up we can just let the conversation go where it goes.

hi ebianco! that workout looked tough! I clicked through a couple of hers and they all look pretty tough. I really want to get back to TA, sigh.
Old 12-31-19, 02:52 PM  
Buzzer

Firm Vol 4.. Time Crunch workout.. DONE!

I really had a hard time with this one. The step ups were almost tortuous, it was so hard for me to get up and down the step. I also struggled with the weights and all the cardio. It was just so stinking hard! A few hours later, I started feeling a little hallow congested spot in my chest, then my body started aching... I ended up sleeping 12 hours last night. I woke up often feeling my muscles ache so bad it felt like I had armor plates all over my body. I was SICK. I had so much wheat grass, vitamin c and d, and elderberry syrup yesterday and today, I doubt my body has ever been healthier!! HA!

I am gradually feeling better today, which is good since we have NYE/Christmas with my sisters. No workout today since I felt like death.

Ebianco: how is it going with the house? did you guys find a way to finance it and get it??

Eventmom: glad you didn't notice my random stories. I won't remind you of them!

I hope you guys are having a good holiday, and I won't check in until next year!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 12-31-19, 04:24 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - raquel welch bikram yoga

buzzer - hope all your remedies got you feeling great and yeah on sleeping!

hi ebianco!
Old 01-04-20, 11:24 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi there!

I dropped off again, I need to reestablish a good habit. To be fair, it was a really hard week for me. I've mostly been off from work and relaxing, but last week I was in a bad car accident, I was at fault but the person in front of me stopped at a blinking lights area because he thought it was a red light so he was stopped on a 45 mph road and I just couldn't respond quickly enough. Anyway, my 'good' leg (not my bad knee leg) was bruised up really bad from the airbags, but otherwise I feel just fine, and there were no injuries from the other party either, so that's good. But my car was totaled, and it was a brand new car I got in April! So now I'm carless but my loving hubby is driving me around so that's great. When the settlement comes in (and I have gap insurance) I can think about getting another car.

Anyway, here are my workouts since my last check in:

Friday-I finally tried out Strong Knees and it was about what I expected, pretty much all the same PT exercises and stretches that I was given. I was a bit sore from the last couple of days so I did the main work on the DVD and called it a day.

Saturday-Barlates Pilates Magic Circle Mat and Barre except for the standing thighs (but I did to the standing seat since it is much less knee bending). This was tough! I love these workouts.

Sunday-Firm Sculpted Buns, Hips, and Thighs. I used to love this one when I was younger, I remember it being really tough, but I used much heavier ankle weights (I think like 5# or more?) and now that I don't want to go so heavy on weights, and some of the tougher abs sections are complicated with a lot of knee bending, so I'm modifying, and I'm finding I don't enjoy this one as much.

Mon-Tues-planned rest days

Wednesday-Happy New Year!! I have been trying to keep my workouts shorter and more split style, but I wanted to ring in the new year with a real total body workout. I have been doing research about bad knees and workout recommendations on old GD threads, and frequently came across Margaret Richards Getting Better, which is performed all sitting or on the mat. The workout was kinda boring but I can say that for all MR that I've tried, BUT also like all MR that I've tried it is really effective! I STILL have DOMS in my arms from this workout. The abs weren't worthwhile but the lower body work was pretty great too. I definitely want to incorporate this at least 1x a week until I get stronger!

Thursday-I pulled out an oldie, Ana Caban Pilates Abs (Gaiam) and it was good but actually not as challenging as I expected, I think I am just used to the fast pace and tougher sequences from Barlates. But I was reminded at the nice Gaiam productions and I decided to pull out one of Rodney Yee's yoga for a little stretching to nice music, for an overall 45 minute workout.

Friday-I've been tentatively feeling better in my knee, so I decided to try a barre workout again, so I pulled out Pure Barre Results Abs, since my notes said the standing thigh work was pretty short. I skipped the arms since they were still sore from MR but I did the remaining 50 minutes. OMG it was nothing short of exhilarating doing a workout that was both very challenging AND very fun. I can't seem to get that with any of my workouts without cardio and much standing. I was careful to ice my knees but today I continue to feel really good, so I want to continue doing barre work at least 1x a week. I also read on GD that barre is restorative to the knees because of all the quad work, so I feel like the more I can do it while not irritating my knee, the faster I can recover. Hopefully? Or else I'm just excited at more sweet hard+fun workouts

Yesterday-MR Getting Better the arm work again (even though I STILL felt a little DOMS in my upper body!) and 10MS Tighten and Tone Pilates with the band, the abs section, plus some yoga stretching for a 45 minute workout.

Today-Ellen Barrett Studio Fat Burning Fusion. I used to adore this workout but I haven't pulled it out in about seven years per my DVD notes but it seemed like a good choice with my knee, and I loved it! I did modify a little bit but I still got in a great workout. I noticed today for the first time in a few weeks that I actually felt no knee pain at all this afternoon while I was walking around shopping. I've been on about a three-day feeling pretty good (1-0 pain) steak so I'm starting to feel really optimistic that I have a good formula going. That also tells me that the barre was not detrimental, and may have even been helpful, for my knee pain. I am definitely going to try it again next week.

Tomorrow-Tues-planned rest days!

Eventmom I remember there was a barre series on Cody App that I was interested in, but then they changed it and you could no longer purchase series, LOL. But I probably didn't need any more workouts anyway.

Buzzer I just love the full length Firm workouts and the appetite doesn't come up all at once, it sneaks in slowly LOL. I would really like to get back to them, but I think incorporating barre more will help with my knee, then I can hopefully transition into more Firm with some cardio, even if I keep it all low impact.

I totally agree with you that Firm Vol. 3 is especially hard and I think it's a tad longer than the others!! I'm glad you're feeling better. I definitely woke up with some kind of sore throat that hopefully won't turn into a cough.

OMG the house epic continues to drag on, the current news it that we will hear something by Wednesday or so of next week. We are supposed to settle in about 2.5 weeks. It is definitely an ongoing stressor but hopefully we will get the house!