Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-01-20, 09:33 AM  
Buzzer

Buns of Steel 3... DONE!

BOS was my second love, after Firm Vol 1. I remember finding Firm Vol 1 to get in shape for my sisters wedding (which worked like magic!!), and then wanting something more. I found BOS, which was popular at the time, I think I saw it on an informercial. I don't remember where I picked up the first one though. I did these right after college. I used to do BOS 3, Abs of Steel and then Arms and Abs of Steel, all on the same day. I had a lot of time on my hands! I fell in love with strength training with these. Before, when I just did FV1, I never really gave exclusively strength training a thought. But Tamilee showed me some great strength training and I loved it!

So, I haven't done these in YEARS. At least more than a decade. I was looking at Mary's sale and was debating about the great price on Vol 5 and 6, which would be backup copies. Then I saw these, and decided I would LOVE to do them again and see if they were as great as I remember. I am so glad I did! During this crazy time, it was so nice to go back and do these familiar workouts again. I don't remember them step by step, but I do remember all the stuff she said, I could almost remember what came next... it was great. It was like pulling up long ago memories at a family get together. Some things you remember, something you forgot that you remember. I was surprised how many things I used to say to my clients when I was training that I heard her say this morning!!! HA!

I picked up 12's for the whole thing, and that was a mistake/not a mistake. It was sooooo hard! I had to pause 3 or 4 times to rest!! By the time she got to side lunges (wide squats), I was definitely cheating on my range of motion. It was so good though. I can tell I will feel it!! I loved at the end she is demonstrating how to add weights and a step to the workout, and her step is nailed together plywood. I loved that she didn't have equipment to sell. It was just beautiful.

I found Vol 1, then BOS series, then I remember being in blockbuster video and seeing Vol 2 and probably vol 3. I picked up 2, because it was expensive and I only could afford one of them, and played that one into the ground too. Then I started collecting the other volumes, I think up to 4. That's why I love the first 4 the most, I know them the best. I think I just got 5 and 6 because they were Firms and I loved the other ones so much!!

Anyhow, BOS 3 was so good at this time of being shut in. I will probably do Arms and Abs of Steel tomorrow. I also got the cardio ones, which I absolutely love! I did those into the ground too!!

Eventmom: DH is talking of going to the store today. I have a meager list of things like BBQ sauce and Pringles, but nothing I would need to rush out for. We are being as limited as we can to going out also. Yesterday LB and I did go down into town and go to Sonic so we could see civilization, and I was so surprised at the full parking lots for the biking and hiking trails, and how many people were out driving and walking!! I think it's good, people are actually out exercising, but also, here I am holed up in my house, worried about DH going down to check on his shop, and people are literally walking past each other, stopping to talk, and going to the auto parts store. I'm sure it's all good, but I'm so worried about passing it to others or getting it, and here I'm realizing, I am doing better than most people apparently are!! And we have "shelter in place" orders!!

We are supposed to get 3" of snow tomorrow. Yesterday and today are 60 degrees!

Ebianco: So good to see you!!! I am sorry your knee is acting up. ugh. My Mom used to get bakers cysts on the back of her hand, and she would slam her hand with a bible to break them. it worked! I don't think it would work on your knee, but it sure did with her hand. I remember they would come back, but it would take a while and eventually they didn't come back. Interesting. I hope this crud doesn't last too long so you can get it taken care of. Mat work is a good idea though.. I think I would just do upper body work and ab work and call it good. But I am definitely lazier than you are!! HA!

I used to lift so heavy. I am sure that's why my body is stockier now. I used to lift 30 pound weights (60 TOTAL!) in my overhead presses!!! I used to bench 110 pounds, use 25's on bicep curls, 240 lbs on a lying down leg press machine (I put a 45 plate, 35, 25, 10, 5 on each side, didn't add it up at the time, I just like the plates looking like a cake! HA!) ... I could knock out a Firm workout with 20 pound weights as my heavy weights, and felt like I didn't get a good workout. That's why I quit the Firm years ago and just moved to gym workouts. I think that my body is set up (although not conditioned) for heavy weights because of that past work. I am good with my 15's, but I guess what I'm saying is it's not that heavy for how my body is set up. I don't think I would go beyond 20's as my heavy weight anymore though. I am too lazy for that kind of commitment! HA!

I think most of the US (except Oklahoma apparently) is on shelter at home orders. I hope it isn't too bad where you guys are. I don't think it's been too bad here, everyone I know is still trucking along. DH said his boss has tested positive, but so far is OK to stay at home and just deal with it. I really hope this is all over sooner than they are thinking. ugh.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 12:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Today – ttapp brain body fitness #2, TA 15 min goop workout, 30 min TA DC. Love this new free T

Ebianco – sorry about your knee, that’s so frustrating. Right now it’s so tough to get to a doctor and I know I want to WORKOUT so that’s double hard. On Janice DVD, honestly I think the ballet one is the best of the two I tried. I do like her cueing in the yoga but it’s a full hour with no chapters so no easy to shorten if you want to add in some cardio. I haven’t even tried the pilates workout.

Buzzer – I haven’t gone anywhere since Friday except to get hay – from the people who make the hay only saw one person. But I don’t get it. In OK everyone thinks it’s a democrat party hoax, just like the flu, or god will protect them. But the OK governor is saying counties that don’t have a case can be normal, everything open. I guess that makes people think it's no big deal. Everyone else is supposed to minimize trips – only do essentials: work, food, can go out to exercise.

DH is getting groceries today because we are out of breakfast food. I think we’ll have to shop once a week, I don’t see a way around it.

waves!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 07:25 PM  
Buzzer

Arms and Abs of steel... DONE!
The cardio portion of BOS Step 2000... DONE!

I liked Arms and Abs, didn't love it. It really is only arms, no chest or back. It was good though, but I would use heavier weights next time. I used 8's as my heavy because I didn't remember her rep count, and 8's were good for the first set. After that, I needed to go heavier. She did do 2 sets of 20 tricep dips, so that was nuts!! The abs were good, not great. It was a pretty good workout, but I wouldn't use it on a day I really wanted to workout. The step workout was fun! I miss when step was so basic but sweaty!! All the fancy steps that make me trip over my step, I just hate. This was all basic. I loved it. I was nice and sweaty at the end!

So many familiar things in these workouts. It was so fun to say something in my head before her, and think "How did I know she was going to say that!" plus there was a point she looks off to the side and I totally remember that, and a fly in the room at one point and you see it, then they switch camera angles, then go back after a minute or two. I always figured that's when they killed the fly.

I remember being convinced Donna Richardson and Tracey York didn't like each other. They just seemed kinda snippy with a smile to each other. I was always surprised they teamed up to do other workouts later. I enjoyed these workouts though!

It's funny though, I remembered some things going on in my life when I was doing these workouts long ago. Some good, some not so good. Some just sad. I was just really surprised at the range of emotions I felt just from doing a workout!!

I think the last time I did these, I was living with my parents and working out in their basement. So all these memories of their house flooded back too. It was a fun and kinda sorrowful walk in the past!

I was thinking though about how video doesn't lie. I could say "I thought she did pushups!!" but since this is the video, my memory definitely is wrong. I had fun though!

I remember choosing not to get a video done of our wedding because I wanted to have the memories of the good, and not be reminded of any of the bad because it was on video to watch. unrelated, but made me think of it.

Eventmom: that is so crazy about your state!! I don't get it. I think some of this might be overhyped, but on the other hand, I refuse to take any chances in case it isn't. The county sheriff as deputized all city police officers here. I don't know what that means... if they are expecting lots of cops to get sick, or if they are expecting mass looting and rioting and are preparing to have all hands on deck. But people are taking it seriously for the most part that I've seen... except in town. What is up with them????

Ebianco: My oldest sister asked me for recommendations to do workouts at home, and I pointed her to Linda Wooldridge. She did one... hated it. it was "too much like working out". So today I told her to try Leslie Sansone. I was thinking of you though, with Linda. I bet there's a lot on her channel you could do! Of course, you are like me and have the DVD's though. HA! How is your state doing? do you see people out and about, or are people really being pretty good?

Waves to everyone! It's snowing today, so an easy day to stay inside!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-03-20, 10:17 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Total Body Shaping Mix... DONE!

I once again used 15's as my heavy weights, 10's for the lying tricep extensions, and 5's for my 4 limb aerobics. I debated using my heavier ankle weights, but decided not to. The leg work on the floor has a tendency to slay me! It was good. I had written on my "review" in the case that there wasn't much cardio. I will once again disagree with myself. It had a good amount of cardio in it, but not too much! I was sweating through the whole workout though. It was great! I think using the heavier weights is good for me. It reminds me of how I used to feel during and after a Firm workout. Worked, I can feel my muscles, and during it I wonder "will I be able to finish this set?" then I can. I think I found my magic weights.

Not magic as in "I'm seeing results!" though. Just magic as it "this feels GREAT!" No results still. Maybe some tone in my arms and legs, but clothes all still fit the same. Interesting. I am enjoying this rotation though.

It snowed last night, which makes it easier to be inside. LB is alternating roller skating and playing "Minecraft". Luckily we are homeschoolers, so we are used to being together. My niece found out that she won't be going back to the physical school for the rest of the year, her senior year, and I am so sad for her! However she is looking forward to going to college next year, assuming everything returns to normal by then!! So crazy.

I alternate between "I can do this" and "NO F-ING WAAAAAAAY!!!" part of me wants to just try to sleep a few days away just to burn them and get through the end of April when this hopefully changes, we can go out, see people, and reopen the business. I'm glad we made it through another week!!

My workouts are seriously helping though. I don't feel so stir crazy and cranky when I get some energy out and my blood pumping first thing in the morning!

I hope you guys are still doing well. I am kinda excited to go to town to pick up groceries, I might stop at Burger King and load up on hamburgers while I'm down there!!! Things that used to be normal are now exciting
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-03-20, 11:09 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - ttapp basic + ta goop 15 workout + caribbean aerobics
today - ta goop 15 + 10 TA express arms + meta dc

well this TA free workout has got me back in TA. I love it, great music, she seems to be outside. Not too hard, not too many reps. so I'm going to add on an express each day.

buzzer - we are doing okay, of course I have allergies so I'm like am I sick? what? taking my temperature multiple times a day. You got snow, we got rain and a freeze it is really late to freeze. I put blankets on the horses today! We are waiting until monday to go to the grocery. I also want to get gas while it's so cheap.

hi ebianco!
Old 04-03-20, 01:22 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday all,

I decided to take up exercise again since (as expected) the break doesn't really change anything, I know some mobility makes me feel better, and I found a new knee brace that I am using even in gentle workouts as a precaution.

This week's workouts:

Wed: Firm Volume 1 the arm work sitting, then the whole mat series. It was about 45 minutes once I cut the cardio out. Still great of course

Thurs: Pure Barre Sculpted Abs 1 DVD, I still love Pure Barre even though I got burned out on the online. I like the DVDs better anyway, a few minor things that they cut out in the online versions, like they don't do the tricep dips or stretch after arm work on the online versions This one was very good. I'll probably do Sculpted Abs 2 later this week.

Fri: Definitely more worn out today so I kept it short with Fitprime two 15 minute upper body compilations, can't remember which DVD it was from. Four day Fix or something? I love the Fitprimes too!

Edited for today: I wanted something with lower body and abs but didn't really want to commit to any one thing, so ended up stringing together a couple of energetic mat workouts from Barlates. One is an old download I have and one was just the mat pieces of this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oFdhEj3-Js&t=382s) both of which I modified and both of which were tough! And with a warm up and stretch I had about a 40 minute workout.

Tomorrow likely Pure Barre the second Sculpted Abs DVD.

I think using the knee brace and immediately elevating and icing my knees after, which I used to do regularly and kind of got away from, is really helping. I'm also trying not to sit for as long periods.

Eventmom Yes any time I think of making a doctor appointment, like it's time to get my cholesterol checked, I have a dental cleaning coming up soon, or getting my knee rechecked, I'm like nope I guess not but glad things can wait. It's definitely crazy times we are living in right now.

Thanks for the input on the Janice yoga DVD! Her pilates one looks good too, but nothing extraordinary enough to rush out and get it when I have like 20 pilates workouts at home, LOL!

Buzzer Total Body Shaping Mix is probably the toughest Firm workout! It's long for one thing, close to 70 minutes? And the cardio is tough and lots of leg presses if I recall. I'm glad you're enjoying your rotation!

I definitely research Barlates workouts on youtube, have no problem streaming! I just like to support her with the DVD purchases too. Yes, I often look at her stuff for good options right now. Most of her new workouts have a Tonique element to them, which I would usually LOVE, but they are a non starter with my knee right now, unfortunately. That is funny about what your sister said! I hope she enjoys the Leslie!

My husband and I went grocery shopping the other day and there were a few people out, and this neighborhood always has people walking, biking, etc. around. Like people are way more active here than our old neighborhood. I don't know if that's a COVID-19 thing or just the nicer weather or what, but it's still easy for people to be out and still social distancing. I am trying to keep grocery trips to an absolute minimum and haven't been anywhere else at all, and VA closed all non-essential businesses so that will force people to stay in, which is good. JUST LIKE YOU SAID, things that used to be normal are now exciting I am having the same sensation.
Old 04-04-20, 06:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA good 15 min + TA express abs + 30+ of kari anderson sweat II
I love this workout. She seems to be on an outdoor deck of some kind and the music is great.

it turned cold - put blankets on all the horses, it's only 44 right now for april that's oddly cold. should be able to remove blankets tomorrow.

ebianco - I can't even imagine doing an hour of pilates! I kept some caribbean aerobic pilates, Hillary Burnett whose interview has been on the home page of VF for over 20 years, and Rael's intermediate. I like them both but rarely do them so I never bought more. eventually I guess I'll try Janice's. I'm supposed to have an appointment with my asthma doctor - if he'll actually see me it would be good to get my lungs checked. Glad your knee is tolerating your workouts!

hi buzzer!
Old 04-08-20, 07:52 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Cardio Overdrive... DONE!

I like this one because it is basic. No crazy dance steps I have to learn that don't seem to flow with the rest of the moves. No funky arm movements that don't seem to match the moves. It's basic, but gets you sweating!

I wasn't feeling real energetic yesterday. I am sure it's because I fell asleep with DH's bedside lamp on, and when I woke up I thought the sun was out and I spent a few minutes waking myself up, planning my day, then opened my eyes. I looked at the clock and was all "whaaaat? 2:20am? How can that be???" Well, DH hadn't gone to bed yet (!!!) and his lamp was on making me think it was morning. It took me FOREVER to fall back asleep (like, after 4am!) and I had to take 3 melatonin gummies (each is 5mg, so I had to take 15mg, which is way more than they recommend, but 10 isn't enough to put me to sleep) and I was groggy all morning because of it. Maybe not groggy, more like overly relaxed.

Today I am hoping for a more energetic day! I am gonna do a muscle only workout I think.

I was disappointed at Walmart shopping for me. I ordered a few things that I said they could do substitutions for, like a big bag of breakfast sausage patties. They said they were out of stock and didn't do a substitution. Well, they have the smaller bags in stock, why didn't they get me the smaller bag? or two smaller bags?? I needed milk anyhow, so I braved going to Safeway (another grocery store) in the smaller town near me, instead of going into the metro area. I was nervous, which is stupid to be nervous going grocery shopping. However, it was almost like a normal day in there.

People were in masks, but there were only maybe 5 other people in the store. They weren't counting people coming in, because there weren't many people! Everything was stocked, there was even some Scott TP if you were desperate for TP. People had masks on, and the cashier had plexiglass between her and me, and the music was turned off, which was weird. It was kinda nice being able to shop, make substitutions, get what I needed, even shop the markdowns. I think I am gonna do that in the future instead of having someone shop for me.

I went early-ish, like 10:30am. I would do it again. I doubt I would go shop in town, but I will in the small town!!

Eventmom: My husband just had an allergy appointment this week. He said it was good, no waiting in the waiting room, they bring you right back, and sanitize the room between patients. He said everyone wore masks and eye protection, and took your temp on the way in. Hopefully you can still go!! we are expecting a few more days of nice weather, then a storm moving in with like 6" of snow. I am dreading it because we will have to be locked into our little house. Right now it's nice because we can go outside, ride bikes at the school, walk around the neighborhood... but in the cold and snow, we will be in the house together constantly. Not looking forward to it!!

Ebianco: good to see you. I'm glad you are getting your workouts in! I think that'll make a difference in all our sanity. I can't imagine Firm Vol 1 in the chair, but I guess Chicometrics used to hurt me, and he's in the chair the whole time so I am sure Vol 1 would be tough too!! I think it's tough even if you just sit down and watch it! HA! It's a great workout.

I directed my sister to Leslie Sansone workouts since I thought she was not liking Linda, and when I asked her if she liked Leslie, she said "I did another 20 minute I hate that Linda lady." So I guess she is enjoying Linda!! HA!

DH asks us "what are you doing tomorrow?" I always say "school. violin. I don't know what else." I think today I am going to say "we are going to the zoo! Then we are going to the play place at the mall!! Then going out for dinner at our favorite restaurant!!!" I'll see what he says
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-08-20, 09:41 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Lower Body Split.. DONE!
So since LB is still asleep, I'm gonna check in with todays workout. OW. I used 15's, my heavy ankle weights (5's), and the tall fanny lifter. WOW. That was so tough!! I tried to give it 100%, but probably gave it about 85%. I paused a lot, probably between every set!!, and really tried to focus. The step ups were the easy part of this workout! The inner thigh section with the plies had my inner thighs screaming. I soldiered through though!!

the ankle weights were good because the time they were used was short. I don't think I could use them or like, Volume 1. But they were good here. I loved it so much!! I am gonna do the upper body split tomorrow. I had hesitations about doing the split, but I'm glad I did. I have been feeling like I need more recovery time between weight workouts, and the splits will do it for me. We'll see how this goes. I'm not giving up the volumes/full bodies yet, but I'm hoping to give my body a reset every now and then with splits. I'm tired of being tired, and feeling like I'm moving in slow motion. Somethings got to change. I gotta figure it out.
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-08-20, 03:45 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

wow , I haven't posted since Sunday!

Monday - 30 min essentrics stretch we wanted to get the whole foods in OKC before it got busy (we did)
Tuesday - TA 15m goop, 10m upper body + TA popstar + I got back from outside in time for the 11:30 essentrics livestream stretch
Today - 15 goop + Project you cardio

buzzer - it's so tough to sort out workouts. I still can't get in all the reps on the 15 min TA, 15 dang minutes. and the weather! 91 today but 29 for a low on monday - 29! we are well past the official freeze date, and a high of only 67 tomorrow so it's just crazy. I'm so glad I have horses and can get outside even if I am stuck on my property.

hi ebianco!