Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-08, 11:02 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S
There will be slight variations to technique based on what somebody is studying. In my first post, I wrote to make contact with the first two knuckles of the fist but then I noticed that angel said that she hits with all four knuckles (although I don't get the part of hitting closer to the pinky area). Also both angel and I said not to tuck the thumb inside the other four fingers but then RedPanda said that her instructor said to do this. However, RedPanda was talking about bare knuckle boxing which I don't do. When we spar, we wear gloves (not boxing ones) and there is no way my thumb can be tucked under the fingers with those gloves.
Oss. We punch with the first two knuckles. If your wrist is straight, those knuckles are backed by the stronger forearm bone (radius). I'm not really sure what y'all are saying about the thumb; we most definitely do not wrap the fingers around the thumb but it's tucked behind, not free.

We spar with gloves sometimes, sometimes not. Our gloves are like MMA gloves; you could wrap your thumb if you wanted, although obviously we don't.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 11:27 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel nee nee
Kyra,
Wow! Good for you....! I hope you will get to pursue your goal! Go for it!!!!
How do you like shotokan? OKay I am little getting off subject and hijacking the original topic here, sorry.... if you want to talk about our hobbies, we can always talk about it. Please feel free to pm me, or we can maybe start a martial thread.
I'm very happy with my school. I didn't really start out to study this style, but after trying out several places, this was the best fit. Our specific type of shotokan (kenkojuku) is more fight oriented than JKA shotokan; our stances are not as deep and there is more emphasis on free sparring than one or three step sparring. We also progress though the belts more slowly and do more kata, plus weapons.

I've been thinking for a while about starting a thread for those who study MA; sort of a roll call. That could be fun!

Old 12-15-08, 10:18 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra
Oss. We punch with the first two knuckles. If your wrist is straight, those knuckles are backed by the stronger forearm bone (radius). I'm not really sure what y'all are saying about the thumb; we most definitely do not wrap the fingers around the thumb but it's tucked behind, not free.

We spar with gloves sometimes, sometimes not. Our gloves are like MMA gloves; you could wrap your thumb if you wanted, although obviously we don't.
Kyra,

We said the same thing. Punch with the first two knuckles, strong straight wrist (no floppy or bent wrists), and don't wrap fingers around the thumb. However, there would never be contact with the thumb so it's not free. Angel is the one that said that she punches with all four knuckles and RedPanda said that for bare knuckle boxing, the thumb is wrapped.

I have to check my gloves to see if I could wrap my thumb. I could but since I never do, I thought I couldn't. We always spar with gloves. It covers the top part of my hand. The bottom part is open but there is a strap/band (made from the same material as the glove) that goes over the palm. Then there is grips for the fingers and a strap for the bottom part of the thumb. That's the best that I could describe it since I never looked closely at MMA gloves.

This is for Taekwondo sparring. We don't wear any gear for judo or jiu-jitsu.

Helen
Old 12-15-08, 10:20 AM  
Irisg1

Hey Ladies, Please do start a "Martial" thread. That would be fun I take kickboxing classes at a Tae Kwon Do place, and I love watching the martial arts classes. I would love to give Tae Kwon Do a try, but I guess I'm a little intimidated, although those that take the Tae Kwon Do classes think we work even harder than they do, lol.

Definitely a Martial Arts thread would be fun
Old 12-15-08, 11:59 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1
Hey Ladies, Please do start a "Martial" thread. That would be fun I take kickboxing classes at a Tae Kwon Do place, and I love watching the martial arts classes. I would love to give Tae Kwon Do a try, but I guess I'm a little intimidated, although those that take the Tae Kwon Do classes think we work even harder than they do, lol.

Definitely a Martial Arts thread would be fun
Iris,

Don't be afraid to start. When you take classes, it will be tailored for your belt level. Kickboxing does require more cardio endurance than if somebody was doing technique. However, sparring will really improve your anaerobic endurance. Going two minutes against somebody is tougher than running, spinning, or doing a Cathe interval (at least for me).

Helen
Old 12-15-08, 12:20 PM  
Kyra

Quote:
Going two minutes against somebody is tougher than running, spinning, or doing a Cathe interval (at least for me).
No kidding! I remember the first time I did jiu jitsu live. Sensei said we'd go two minutes and I was like, just two minutes? HAhahahaha. Completely exhausting. You do build up over time, but there's a reason MMA fights are usually 15 minutes and people train like animals to make it through them.

But if you want to do it, I agree with Helen - do it!

Old 12-15-08, 12:27 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Kyra,

We said the same thing. Punch with the first two knuckles, strong straight wrist (no floppy or bent wrists), and don't wrap fingers around the thumb. However, there would never be contact with the thumb so it's not free. Angel is the one that said that she punches with all four knuckles and RedPanda said that for bare knuckle boxing, the thumb is wrapped.
Just a clarification - Angel said if you are punching with your bare fists in a self-defence situation, you should not put your thumb inside your fist. I responded that one of my teachers said that you should, in fact, put the first joint of your thumb inside your fist.

I was talking about bare knuckle fighting - ie no handwraps. If you had to unexpectedly defend yourself, you wouldn't have time to wrap your hands!

When wrapping our hands in boxing, we do in fact wrap our thumbs so that they are separate from our fingers, and wrap our first two fingers and second two fingers separately, then wear boxing gloves. There are instructional segments in some of the Michael Olajide and Tae Bo DVDs which show you how to do this.

Just adding that we always wear wraps and boxing gloves for sparring - the bare knuckle fighting thing was just an FYI. I have the impression that people think I'm a bare-knuckle fighter!
Old 12-15-08, 01:24 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda
Just adding that we always wear wraps and boxing gloves for sparring - the bare knuckle fighting thing was just an FYI. I have the impression that people think I'm a bare-knuckle fighter!
Thanks for clarifying. I did make the wrong assumption that you did both boxing with gloves and bare knuckle fighting.
Old 02-24-09, 09:15 AM  
angel nee nee

wow it has been a while since we had this talk. HOw is everyone? I've been super sick from moring sickness. Bleah. But I hope everyone is doing well enjoying the workouts.

I was thinking of you and thought about this thread, and punching thing.
I did a review and found out that I was taught we are suppose to make contact with those two fingers (well not fingers but you know what I'm talking about) when punching. What do you know. I was not listening when I was taught I guess. lol

I thought I'd share it with you all

And for cool VF members to share our joy of video exercising with!
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxing