Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-21, 11:23 AM  
pharma_gal

Walking/jogging in colder weather

I have decided I want to walk/light jog more outdoors this winter. I live in central Jersey so it gets below freezing but not very very bad. Ofcourse I’m not going out in the rain or sleet or snow but I want to get out more. Any recommendations on getting started and what kind of clothing? Thanks!!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 11:47 AM  
Erica H.

I just wear cheap fleece stuff that I get from Old Navy (usually) or even Walmart or Kohl's on the top as an outer layer with an undershirt like Cuddle Duds or thermal long underwear or a wicking workout shirt.

I wear fleece mittens or gloves and a fleece headband to cover my ears. What I really love is a fleece neck gaiter to cover the lower part of my face - that makes a big difference for me. If it drops below 30, I wear my down ski mittens, but I have terrible circulation and my fingers can't tolerate the cold - you might not need mittens that warm or you could double layer with glove liners.

I wear regular exercise leggings until it drops below 30 and then I usually wear fleece-lined leggings.

I get cold really easily, so you may not need to bundle up as much as I do at those temps!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 12:20 PM  
Vantreesta

I live in MN and walk my dog 2-3 times every day. I used to wear whatever coat seemed appropriate for the temperature but this winter for our longer morning walks I have switched to layering like I would for snowshoeing and am so much happier! I still wear whatever coat seems right for our later walks but the morning one is more like a workout and dressing for it has made a big difference. The past weeks it has been anywhere from 6 to 21 degrees and real feel of -5 to 9. I've been wearing a long sleeve tech shirt then a wicking workout type jacket (from a race), fleece vest and then a fleece-lined flannel jacket. Most days I am unzipping various layers as we go. I've been wearing a knit hat. On warmer days I could get by with a headband over my ears. I heat up quickly but my hands can get really cold from holding the leash and clean up bag so most days I wear really warm mittens but I also have gloves in my pockets in case my hands get too hot. I wear jeans for walks. Oh and like Erica said, smthg for my neck if it's windy.

When I have run in the cold I wear less. Depending how cold it gets I either wear compression capris under warm knit type track pants or I'll skip the capris. I wear a long sleeve tech shirt, fleece-lined if it's colder, and a puffy vest, light fleece beanie, buff/gaiter thing, and light wool gloves.

If it's above 0 when we snowshoe I dress similar to running but wind pants instead of track pants.

Anyway, I would say layers is the way to go, preferably with zippers instead of pullovers, so you can regulate your temperature and not overheat. I find the wind and sun make more difference than the temperature for me.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 12:35 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I find the wind and sun make more difference than the temperature for me.
Yes, I feel the same way!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 03:13 PM  
pharma_gal

Thank you. I will definitely need lots of layers because I get very cold easily. I don’t really like winters at all but I need to get outdoors for my sanity. That’s what I’m trying to be brave this year and get out more. I will have to experiment and see. Thank you for the suggestions!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 03:56 PM  
Izzy

Northern Illinois here. I walk daily, sometimes twice. First walk is at 5-5:30 am. I layer up. Always wear a hat. That makes a difference. Wind makes a huge difference. One morning it was 18 and I was warm as toast. The next day was 34 with 20mph winds and it was brutal. I don’t wear special gear but most of my stuff is running winter tech stuff. I wouldn’t go all out and spend the money. Layers are more important. A friend sometimes walks with me. She said “I will never walk when it’s colder than 60.” She was with me when it was 18. She learned to layer up and knows after 10 minutes you start to warm up. Good luck. Report back on your progress.
Old 01-02-21, 05:13 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I also live in central NJ! For me, cold would be anything under 40 degrees. As others have said, I wear layers and a hat, if it's that cold. I also have a pair of boots that are more like a combo sneaker/boot that I wear on the colder days since my feet tend to feel the cold. I don't walk outside if it gets below freezing, mainly because I'm concerned about falling on ice. I do laps inside my house on those days instead. I also do Jessica Smith, Leslie or other walking workouts to mix it up a bit.

I went out for a walk today and it was a great day to be out. In the low 50s and sunny.
Old 01-02-21, 05:15 PM  
DCW

I check the weather and try to time my walks during the warmest part of the day. Sunny days with no wind are the best days. Layering is the key, gloves, a hat and I have a cheap fleece scarf to wrap around my neck. I find my heaviest coat with a hood is best on cloudy and windy days.

Keep us posted.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 05:38 PM  
loulou

Things I've learned is pretty much anything that isn't covered up with something geared to cold weather is going to get cold. Footwear. Your favorite running/training shoes might really start feeling uncomfortable if they are meant to keep your feet cool while running. Socks designed for winter sports can help no matter what shoes, boots you are wearing. My favorites were labeled hunting socks.

My new down coat, while really warm, isn't the best if I'm working up even a slight sweat. It doesn't breathe well. Even if its not snowing but there is moisture on the ground it gets kind of soggy. I should have looked for a coat with insulation and vents. More like what snowboarders and skiers use. Waterproof and Gore-Tex are nice but add to the cost. Warm down will work if the under layer is breathable. That helps.

Hope some of this will help you. The temps here have stayed in the 20's and low 30's for a couple of months. I've collected a lot of cold weather stuff but still trying to figure what works best if I want get some outdoor exercise. That seems like a necessity right now no matter the weather.

The Under Armour cold gear I bought like 20 years ago is still going strong and is my best winter stuff. For awhile their quality broke down but I haven't checked recently to see if they've improved. Their military or pro stuff was the best.

The site "Steep and Cheap" has good prices on performance gear. They usually don't offer details on the items. Their sister site Backcountry.com often has the same product or brand with more options and has reviews and sizing.

Have fun!
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 06:41 PM  
Pam

I live at an altitude of 9,000 feet in the Colorado mountains, so winter can be long. Generally start in November and last until least April. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer/fall and as it really helps my sanity I am going to try get out most nice weather days this winter. I agree if it is sunny and no wind, I can enjoy being out even in colder temperatures. Dressing in layers, none of which are cotton is very important. When cotton gets wet, you can easily get chilled.

I have used yak tracks in the past and love that they work great on slippery surfaces, but got tired of them coming off, even the ones with straps. I recently got Nanospikes and I have done 3 runs with them, no slipping, even on ice, and they never shifted on my shoes. Comfortable to run with. I am running on dirt roads, with some ice and hard packed snow. May not be so great on paved roads.

Tags
cold weather, nanospikes, walking boots, yaktrax