Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-20, 12:33 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Post 2020 Bests and Worsts

So, as we wrap up this dysfunctional year, what were your bests and worsts in the fitness arena?

Bests:

I received a month of Glo from my Secret Santa KateTT in last year's exchange and have kept it up ever since.

Lucy Wyndham-Read - she's become a staple in my rotation and she will remain so. her so much!

My gym reopening after a long COVID closure. The doors of Planet Fitness never looked so appealing as on the day we were allowed to go back.

Worsts:

My yoga studio remains closed, though the owner is keeping things afloat with very good Zoom classes. I do miss going there.

The months we could not use the gym.

The fear and stress induced abyss I wallowed in, causing weight gain and lack of workout enthusiasm.

I don't think I've purchased one DVD all year, but traded for one. Doing a lot more online workouts!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 12:52 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Best - something I never, ever, expected as a best: my discovery of Pahla B's fitness channel. Oh my goodness, I thought I would hate her workouts, but I have really enjoyed them and she has helped me to be consistent in this crazy world.
Ironically, my other "best" was to be diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. It was the push I needed to change my eating habits and lose - as of today - 26 pounds. And I'm still losing weight.

Worst - nothing comes to mind just yet.

Wasted - my experimentation with Andrea Rodgers and her Xtend barre workouts, closely followed by my trial of Beachbody's barre workouts. I so wanted to like them, but it didn't happen.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 02:52 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Bests:

I finally "discovered" Cathe this year. I was just not into her for years, despite trying a couple of her workouts occasionally. Earlier this year, I decided to try some of her LITE and ICE workouts for variety and less intensity for my knee, which was still healing. And then I ended up LOVING those, and through the year picked up more and more of those series along with many of her other series going all the way back. A big part of my resistance to Cathe was an assumption that all/most of her workouts were splits and/or have complex step choreography, which I am not interested in. But with plenty of research, and thanks to all her awesome premixes, I discovered a big variety of workouts which are total body with and without non-complex cardio. I've been extremely pleased with nearly all of the workouts I have done so far. Some of my most favorites are her PHA3, High Step Challenge (or the other high step one, they're both great), and her various bootcamp style workouts. Only one workout I didn't care for, below.

I still have occasional twinges but for the most part my knee has completely healed, it took about 18 months before I could really do cardio without a lot of pain. My injury wasn't even that bad, I tweaked it during a zip-line landing and it didn't even hurt that much, but I developed a baker's cyst and it just took a really long time to heal.

Worsts:

Did not care for Cathe Slide and Glide at all. It's not her fault, but all that sliding work made my lower back hurt a lot. I wasn't super crazy about her Fit Tower Total Body workout either (although I really like the Boot Camp one) although I will revisit and see. But I have discovered so many winners of hers, it's like winning the workout lottery!

Covid has had a negative impact on my eating (and discipline). So much food, so much time Particularly my junk food intake has increased. Thankfully I instituted IF, and I have time, energy, and motivation to work out for a little longer than I could before with my commute, so it's mostly evened out.
Old 12-29-20, 03:11 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Bests!

Have worked out at least once every single day this year and am on track for 2 more - making 365 days for the first time ever!

The pandemic has forced a friend of mine (you know who you are) to offer her classes via Zoom, giving me the opportunity and privilege of taking them 2-3 times a week.

I have maintained what was for me a huge weight loss last year. Actually maintaining a weight loss is another first for me. And no more sugar binges!

Worsts!

None that I can think of.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 05:17 PM  
Buzzer

Bests: I revisited Body Beast, however I am doing it on my own without Sagi. I change it up sometimes, take longer or shorter rests, do it at a different pace... even cut it short or do more sets. I LOVE it!! I have been doing it consistently since June!! I have seen more tone, but haven't seen any reduction in my waist line.
I also rediscovered Callanetics and Linda Wooldridge done with small motions like Callanetics. what a core workout!! Linda is a machine. Although, so is Callan. I am loving these two workout styles!

Worst: revisiting some of those workouts that are "one hit wonders". I now know why they are one hit wonders, and have been able to give them to Goodwill so someone can get them at a better price than I did, and decide if they love it or leave it!

I went from eating well, to eating not so well, to eating well, to eating not so well.. so now I am working on eating well again! I need to recommit!!

Ebianco: you inspired me. I am under the impression Cathe is all intervals and complex cardio, but now I am thinking "Do I have her wrong too??"
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 07:51 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Umm....Nope:
Shaun T: T25 (will give it another shot)
Jenn Galardi Flowetry
Get Healthy U, specifically Lindsey Bomgren

A+++:
KCM Build & Burn
Vintage Leslie:
- Jenny Craig Strength workout
- Power Walking System
- Burn Body Fat
Newer Leslie:
-Walk 15 Express Cuts (wow!)
CS Season 4, #21 was a pure lifesaver for my shoulder joint pain, even though it's designed for the back.
Zoe Bray Cotton Yoga Burn: Booty Challenge

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 08:03 PM  
Erica H.

Bests: finding great instructors/workouts on youtube. I especially like Caroline Girvan and Sydney Cummings.

Worsts: after doing really well with my eating all year even with the pandemic and stress, I completely fell apart starting on Christmas Eve and can't get back on track. My kids are home and there are food and treats everywhere - I just can't resist the temptations all day, every day. Hoping to get back on track on January 2nd, but I can't believe how much damage I've done in such a short period of time.

Buzzer - I love Body Beast
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 10:25 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Best:
Udaya streaming - I was able to get in on a free three month trial and it really got me hooked on yoga! I have consistently done it multiple times per week and ended up getting a year's subscription at some discount they have had in the past (I asked for it even though it wasn't a current deal and they were very nice about it).

Cathe: redux. The chronological Cathe rotation thread (Hi Fierce Watulans!) got me doing Cathe again and I've realized I can modify (whereas when I first started with Cathe I never felt I could) and I've also realized I can do more than I realized. It's been very fun and I've done oldies, goodies, and new loves going through her collection.

Worst:
I signed up for Inner Dimension on their black Friday sale and I almost never use it. It was a great price but it's not necessary with Udaya.

I'm with Erica and others who need to get back on track with eating. I lost ten pounds back in springtime but by now I've put back on about 7.... but I'm ready to get back to that.
Old 12-29-20, 11:43 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Best:
  • Lots more hamstring flexibility - I managed (somehow) to practice a decent amount of yoga in the early days of the pandemic while stuck working at home and juggling kiddie duty, so my forward bends are a lot bendier!
  • Lifting heavier weights (I think) - I don't track my weights closely, but I've been using my 12 kg kettlebell, 25 lb dumbbell, 2.5 lb (each) Platemates and 1.5 lb (each) weighted gloves more... and finally acquired a 14 kg kettlebell (as I had a gap between 12 kg and 16 kg) after waiting eons for it to be available again... so I think this indicates I'm heaving heavier weights!
  • Discovering KCM's kickboxing - there's some fun stuff I already owned but never used as I've previously only focused on her strength training routines and was terrified of kickboxing tweaking my knees.
  • Finally dabbling in step aerobics - as the pandemic wore on, I did more and more floor aerobics to make up for the walks and bike rides I did as a part of my commute in days gone by... and I think my cardio capacity improved so to push myself harder on some days, I finally started using Gilad's Step Aerobics and Kathy Kaehler's Basics Workout Class Step routines and have about 90% of it down now after some stumbling around I've been picking up a few other step tapes on Thrift Books' website since then.
  • Getting into full wheel (urdhvha dhanurasana) again - a recent focus after getting reassurances from my ob-gyn that two C-sections shouldn't have affected my mobility (elasticity!), I'm now working on getting back to where I was pre-babies almost 10 years ago.

Worst:
  • Having less opportunities to ride my bike as a part of my commute - I miss the freedom and the errands I could squeeze in during the day
  • Doing less yoga now that I try to get more steps in during the day - yoga is awful for getting steps in so I've only been able to practice once or twice per week lately... have to be very decisive about what to focus on.
  • Putting on 3 lbs or so - urrrgh, not eating as well as I did for lunch when I had free food at work and could easily focus on protein and avoid carbs... it's almost always easier and faster to make a carb-focused lunch in <15 minutes (noodles, sandwich, quesadilla, etc.)
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 09:01 AM  
donnamp

Hmmm..what a year!

Bests -

In spite of world-wide, personal and professional strife this year I did manage to be pretty darn consistent w/ working out. I think I only missed a few days.
I have to thank Ellen Barrett, Jessica Valent, Pahla B, and Jessica Smith for helping me to stay consistent - oh - also Jenny Ford - she was kind enough to put her Step and March Across America on You Tube and I followed them, too!

The two rotations I actually finished - Jessica Smith - Calm & Strong and Classical Stretch Health Challenge!

VF - such a pleasure to come her and post about workouts and life....

Worsts -

Not eating as well and snacking more due to working from home....

I hate to put this one as a "worst" - b/c it is a very good site lead by a very good instructor - but I purchased a year of Trifecta Pilates membership on NYE last year for a discounted price and I ended up not using it very much at all. It just wasn't for me - a lot of longer workouts which don't really fit into the way I like to use Pilates. I decided I'd be better off sticking to the You Tube channel!
But, that being said, if you enjoy making Pilates your main workout - Beth does offer a nice mix of Pilates workouts -many use fun props and she just seems like a very nice and down to earth person.

Blessings/Curses

Well - working from home since March has been a blessing, I don't have to freak out about exposure to COVID, I get more sleep, get to spend more time w/ my DD (who is heading off to college next year) and my DH, who is also working at home, I don't have to endure my commute....but...the all day sitting (which I also had at work but was at least tempered w/ walking to the printer or restroom or to visit a colleague) and ready access to food has not been great. Plus, the work life balance is off - with the laptop at the ready I do find myself working longer hours, checking in on the weekends, etc.

Plans to combat that in the new year is to plan my food/snack choices in advance and really make an effort to do some mid-day activity - a walk outside a quick video..anything...and trying for more consistent work hours. My trouble is I'm not mentally an 9-5 person, I actually do better w/ a flexible schedule/approach to work, but since there are "core hours' where you need to be available to respond to people it does make it hard...of course, I think that has been my struggle w/ working all my life!

What a year - I have said throughout the whole year that I couldn't have made it up if I tried....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, ganglion cyst, hits and misses, worst of