Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-09-20, 01:26 PM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 2/9-15: Valentine's Day Edition!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

Back in a moment....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 01:34 PM  
JustSandra

Sending a virtual Valentine to my fellow Barefoot Buddies!

Truly, if it weren't for your caring and support, I'm not sure I would still be a regular exerciser. As we all know, sometimes it is soooo easy to just want to chuck it all aside. But coming here always gives me encouragement to continue.

Last week for me was a continuation of Margaret Richard Unplugged episodes (have I mentioned how much I love these LOL?) plus starting to work through Classical Stretch Season 9. A nice combination. My weather right now is *perfect* for walking outdoors (sunny, dry and cool) so I'm doing that, but I could definitely stand to squeeze in more cardio.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 04:33 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is an unplanned rest day. The water heater broke at our daughter's house so her family came here to take showers this morning. Then she and her DH went to the movies to watch Star Wars and I'm babysitting for them.

Sandra, I appreciate your loyalty in starting our week off for us, week after week--thank you so much! My motivation to workout has been so poor lately because I miss my exercise equipment and DVDs. If it wasn't for this group, I'd probably quit working out. I hope my motivation to workout comes back after we move.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 05:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Aww, Sandra, that was a sweet start this week! Much to all of my checkin friends. Which Unplugged seasons do you have? I have 19 & 20.

Paine, given our water heater incident this past fall, I feel for your daughter! Did hers leak or just go on the fritz?

My own workout motivation has been okay of late, but due to various factors my weeks have kind of petered out. I did finish my 40-day new year's sadhana today!

Have to go fold laundry...be back in a few minutes with my actual checkin.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 06:12 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Okay I'm back! Since I have a free subscription to Jenni Rawlings Yoga (JRY) for a month, that's a lot of what I did this past week.

Monday
JRY (online) - Yoga & Kettlebell Flow 5 with Lizette; Ankle Strength & Mobility Quick Practice

Tuesday
JRY - Upward Rotation of the Scapula Part 1; Gentle Cervical Spine Practice

Wednesday
JRY - Thoracic Mobility Slow Flow Practice with Francesca

Thursday
TAUGHT yoga at college; yoga at studio
Yoga Conditioning for Athletes - Cycling Mini

Friday
Yoga Tune Up Massage Therapy Kit - Head Neck & Jaw (floor)

Saturday
JRY - Pushing & Pulling with Weights w/Kathryn Bruni-Young; Morning Joint Mobility, Upper Body

Sunday
Flow Yoga Class with Trish (Lululemon)
JRY - Morning Joint Mobility, Lower Body
LazyTeaOnline (YT) - Free Your Neck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4h...&index=12&t=0s

The YouTube link above is Feldenkrais-based, and it's the exact sequence that was in a yoga class I went to a few weeks ago. I actually already had it bookmarked on YT and had forgotten about it!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-09-20, 07:14 PM  
cyana

Today:
Free weights, core work, stability ball work on my own. I wanted to try some weights and thought it might be better to do it on my own in case my finger started throbbing, but it was well-behaved. I pushed myself to the point where my heart rate and respiratory rate were increased, doing some supersets. I think I need to avoid things like push-ups, down dog, etc., for a bit longer. I'm going to try paring down my dressing a bit - the current one is clunky, but it's done a great job of keeping my finger from getting bashed against things.

I had a doctor's appointment this week - a new person - so I had to go through the million and one questions. We were talking about working out and he wanted to know what sorts of things were motivating - such as did I like going to the gym and working out with other people. I told him I had a group of long-term on-line check-in buddies that I'd never met in person, but had developed a strong relationship with over the years.

Did anyone get to see the snow moon last night? it was seriously cloudy here, darn it, so I didn't get to see it. The weather has not cooperated with the special moons in months and months.

Does anyone have a basic heart rate monitor that they use and like? My ancient Polar pretty much disintegrated (can't complain, as I'd had it for years), and I've been debating whether to get a new one. I don't want a FitBit (sorry, Google, you know too much about me as it is ) and I don't care about calorie counts and that sort of thing.

Sandra - I'm glad you're enjoying good walking weather. We're had such a crazy array of weather recently, I'm at a point where I don't know what to expect next. Still looking the manuals for my pedometers that I dug out.

Paine - I'm so sorry to hear about the water heater - been there and done that several times over the many years of being a homeowner. I forgot to answer your question last week we to whether I preferred the butternut squash with rosemary and thyme or the Adobo. They were both good, but I'd been craving rosemary, so those were my favorites at that particular moment. I'm thinking I may try cooking some carrots with that Frontier sweet turmeric blend soon. Also, I want to try it on some sweet potatoes. I rarely use the mandoline, as DH hacked himself one of the first times he used it, so I treat it with great respect (fear, LOL!).

Beth - I tried that video link you posted. I always find Feldenkrais to be so interesting, as I can always get better range of motion after I do it. Congratulations on completing your sadhana.

Need to knock a few more things off the to do list before I start winding down for the evening. Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start. I'm covering for someone this week, so I suspect it will be a busy one.

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 08:28 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana I am impressed that you already tried that link! I found it helpful and want to work into some of my classes. I like my basic Polar HRM - I can check on the model if you want.

Anyone watching the Oscars? I've always liked Brad Pitt and am glad he won. I don't think I'll be staying up for the whole show.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-09-20, 09:04 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, congrats on finishing your sadhana! Thanks for the Feldenkrais neck link.
Yes their water heater leaked but fortunately there is no damage from it.
I'm watching the Oscars right now.

Cyana, aw I'm glad you find our check-in motivating. I'm thankful for this group.
I saw the snow moon early this morning.
I want to try that Frontier sweet turmeric blend but I'll wait until we move to CA before I order it (one less thing to move!).
Old 02-09-20, 09:07 PM  
Garrie A.

Sandra: Thanks for starting us off! I all of my VF friends, and especially my check-in buddies. Without VF, I would not be as consistent as I am. Nor would I be enabled as many times as I've been!

Paine: At our old house, the water heater broke two years ago. My parents' bedroom flooded. I had some items in the bedroom for temporary storage that I regret leaving there (including some extra barbell plates I was too lazy to bring up to the new house). When I'm feeling unmotivated, it means one of two things: I need to change up my routine, or try something new--whether it's a new DVD or a new fitness toy.

Beth: Congrats on finishing your yoga sadhana!

Cyana: I had an older Polar heart rate monitor I used to use, but misplaced it and never use it anymore.

Yesterday I learned that the yarn store was closing due to a rent increase. I ended up buying a sweater quantity of a cotton/rayon blend yarn, plus two skeins of a beautiful superwash wool in an olive green color, either for a slouchy hat or a pair of mittens. The shop will be closing on the 27th.

Here was last week for me, where I completed Cathe's STS.

Sunday:
STS Meso 3, Disc 34 (Chest & Back)

Monday:
TAUGHT Strength, Core & More class
CIA 2k05: Franny Benedetto's Cardio Parties, the Hi/Lo workout (fun...LOVE the music in this one, especially the Austin Powers theme and "These Boots Are Made For Walking")
Cathe's LITE Bonus 6 Pack Abs 1 (I wanted to do the Ab Stacker from Step Boss PHA 3, but didn't feel like pulling my step risers out.)
LITE Extended Stretch 1 (since Franny didn't cool me down after the hi/lo )

Tuesday:
TAUGHT Pump class
STS Meso 3, Disc 35 (Plyo Legs)

Wednesday:
STS Meso 3, Disc 36 (Shoulders, Biceps & Triceps--STS is now complete!)

Thursday:
CIA 2304: Seasun Zieger's Rock Steady Step, minus the ab work (fun but I think Stepping Up is her best due to the music)

Friday:
KCM's Strength & Stamina (combined premix with kettlebell swings; I skipped one set each for biceps and chest)

Saturday:
TAUGHT Ab Express class (30 minute ab and back class, and I gave them a nice variety with standing work, floor work including some of the Step Boss Ab Stacker moves, and even used the gliding discs for the last little bit)

Today I decided to take a break from the heavy lifting I've been doing the past few months and revisited a Slim Series workout: Shape It Up. Oh my Lanta. I forgot how tough this workout was. I used 5s and 8s, as Debbie used, and definitely felt it. And I had to take several breaks during the quad work on the floor. I love my heavy weights, but there's nothing like a light weight/high rep session to fry me!

Waves to all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 10:01 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Garrie, how awful that your parent's bedroom flooded back then!
I'd like to buy a new fitness toy or DVD but we will be moving to CA next month so I want to hold off until then (I'll have less to pack in our suitcases). Even though the majority of our belongings are already in CA, we still have a bunch of things to bring back.
I didn't know you when my mom died but I wish I could have given you all her knit and crochet pattern books (she had a big collection) and tons of skeins of yarn after she passed. We ended up donating the majority of it. I would have loved for you to have it all.
Gosh, I don't know if I even kept my Slim Series Shape It Up. I'll have to look when we move back to CA.