Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-19-20, 11:32 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 1/19-25: Lunar New Year Edition!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread. This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of work-outs, but have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you prefer doing traditional work-outs without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 11:42 AM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

Saturday 1/25 starts the Year Of the Rat. I'm terrified of rats so I am glad my sign is the Goat!

I'll just talk generally about last week for me. On Monday I started this year's Essentrics 30-Day Health Challenge, but life got in the way on a couple of the days. However, this particular Challenge features lots of repeats so I've decided not to stress about it! I also reacquired Margaret Richard's Unplugged DVD set (thanks to a generous VFer ) and have started in on those. Many years ago I remember someone posting at VF that their go-to workout was an Unplugged episode followed by a Classical Stretch episode, and I love the simplicity of that!

In addition, I'm going to start counting daily steps again. I used the rest of some Amazon GC funds to purchase a simple step counter (it doesn't sync to a computer, doesn't calculate mileage or calories). I love to walk but haven't done a lot of it the last couple weeks so I know this will encourage me to move more.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

Old 01-19-20, 12:17 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Strong & Limber for Life: all upper body work plus Quads, Calves and Inner Thigh
HasFit 15 Minute Standing Abs Workout (on YouTube)

Sandra, thank you for the start! If you are a Capricorn, then your birthday must be coming up soon.
Have you done all the workouts on the Essentrics Rebalance & Reboot Your Body DVD and if so what is your overall opinion of the DVD?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 12:55 PM  
gjv

Hey all! Quick post before I start lunch.

I did KCM'S Your Best Body, workout #2 (Carolyn ), and I loved it!

Sandra, I hope we both have a happy, fun football day!
Old 01-19-20, 05:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi all! Took me awhile to get here today, but here I am.

Has anyone seen any of the Best Picture Oscar nominees this year? We saw The Joker last night, so that makes one for us. (I though it was overwrought.) We want to see Jojo Rabbit and Little Women, and my mom just told me that Marriage Story is really good.

Gayle and Carolyn, I love both workouts from Your Best Body! Since the 2nd uses a bit lighter weights, it's nice for when I don't want to be (quite) so challenged.

Paine, I was impressed with all of the meal prep stuff you posted on last week's thread! I don't know how you get that all done; you really are Wonder Woman!

Sandra, I definitely prefer goats to rats. Although I would not want to encounter a rat (or even a mouse!), when I was in college, I had to do student research in the psychology department, which involved checking on the rats daily and feeding/weighing them. In that context they are kind of cute!

This was Days 13-19 of my yoga sadhana, so I'll be halfway through as of tomorrow. Here's what I did:

Monday
Bendy Body - Shoulder School, Part 1
30MTF LIFT - Workout #1, Olympic Lifting
Yoga Journal Your Daily Yoga - Peak Form

Tuesday This is the day I kept getting interrupted!
Ali/Leonard Heavyweight Workout (1st time; about half)
30MTF Strength & Stamina - Bonus Step (about 18m)
Classical Stretch - 1004, Slenderize & Strengthen Your Legs (about 15m)
Yoga for Stress Reduction - Cool Down

Wednesday
Yoga Conditioning for Athletes

Thursday
TAUGHT yoga at studio
Yoga Journal Complete Home Yoga Practice - Relaxing routine

Friday
30MTF Start Here - Workout #1, Cardio
Yoga Journal Your Daily Yoga - Solar Powered

Saturday
TAUGHT Mind, Body, & Brew Yoga class
Alignment Snacks - Everybody Needs a Little Shoulder Bolstser
Yoga with Tim (YT) - Challenge Day 14, Breathwork & Meditation

Sunday
AM Yoga for Your Week - Back Bends
HDM (YT) - Classic Arms & Shoulders
ActivMotion (YT) - Balance 2 (body bar)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 06:02 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, at first I REALLY wanted to see The Joker but then I read a synopsis of it and decided it might be too depressing for me so I told my DH I'd rather pass on that movie. I decided to pass on Marriage Story for the same reason that it might be too depressing. I want to avoid depressing movies. Manchester by the Sea was the most depressing movie I have ever seen and it distressed me for about a week after I saw it.
I want to see Jojo Rabbit and Little Women! I told my DH that I really wanted to see Little Women so I think I can get him to watch it with me.
Beth, I actually hate cooking and all the food prep I do but I love to eat and I'm glad I did the kitchen work on the weekend so I can just relax and heat leftovers during the week.

Sandra and Beth I don't mind rats or goats but I had a spider phobia as a child and still detest spiders. I would be horrified to see a tarantula, ewwww!

Anny, if you are able to share, I'd love your recipes of your Greek lentil soup and Yellow split pea Dahl.
Old 01-19-20, 06:47 PM  
JustSandra

Hello once more!

Today's Workout: For Day 7 of the Essentrics Health Challenge I got to repeat yesterday's Full Body Stretch Workout from Essentrics Rebalance & Reboot Your Body. I followed that with Margaret Richard's Unplugged episode 1904. Earlier this afternoon I got outside for a 1-mile walk.

Paine: Actually I'm a Taurus with a May birthday. But the year I was born was a Year of the Goat in the Chinese system. Re Rebalance & Reboot Your Body, besides today's Full Body Stretch Workout (which I did like) there are two other 23-minute routines -- Posture and Spine, and Hip and Knee Strengthening. I haven't previewed any of them. I am sort of interested in Miranda's take on knee strengthening. Those are coming up soon in the Challenge and I'll definitely let you know my impressions.

Gayle: That was an impressive win by the Chiefs! We'll see if the Niners can do as well.

Beth: I'm not at all scared of squirrels -- who are really just rats with bushy tails LOL! I haven't seen hardly any of the nominated movies. I'm like Paine in that I avoid depressing movies.

Waving to all!

Old 01-19-20, 07:11 PM  
Donna D

Hi Everyone,

I signed up for Classical Stretch streaming - at least for a month!

I haven't kept up with technology. Tried to download the app. I didn't realize you can't download the app on a computer. I don't have a smart phone.

The streaming wouldn't work on internet explorer but it did on Firebox.

By the time I was done playing around with signing up I didn't have time to do a 30 minute workout.

I did a 10 minute arm episode.

Have a great week everyone and stay warm!
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 07:37 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Oh Donna! I'm really interested in hearing what you think about Classical Stretch Streaming! I'm a technology moron so I understand how you might have felt challenged in figuring how to play the streaming (I could see that happening to me too). Please continue to give updates about it. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 01-19-20, 07:57 PM  
cyana

Gayle - Congratulations to your Chiefs!! I was on weather.com earlier and read the adventure of Tyreek Hill's grandparents getting to KC, thanks to the airport closure in KC during the storm. I find YBB to be a totally no dread work-out.

Sandra - Sending your 49ers good luck vibes for their game. I like my basic pedometer and have been thinking I need to fire it up. I also liked my basic heart rate monitor that literally disintegrated after about a million trouble free years.

DonnaD - Let me know what you think of Essentrics streaming. I'm hoping one of these days they'll do an option where you pay for a whole year up front for less than the monthly subscription cost. Some apps can be installed on your computer - wonder if it works on a tablet? DH read something earlier that said to avoid Internet Explorer - it sounded as though Microsoft only updates I.E. on a fixed schedule, so it something pops up (like some kind of bug) between those intervals, users could be vulnerable.

Paine - I didn't achieve my goal of doing major bulk cooking this week-end (insomnia is killing me this week!), but I managed to whip up a batch of hummus, cut up carrots and celery for dipping or snacking and also roasted up two sheets of cauliflower/broccoli and onion.

Beth - I'm such a zero when it comes to movies and TV, but would like to check out several of the nominees at some point.

The last half of my week was very "meh" fitness-wise. No clue why, but the insomnia gremlins have reared their ugly heads and went into overdrive. I've really been dragging the past 4-5 days, so I'm planning to wind down early this evening, do a little reading and hopefully get to sleep early. Keeping fingers crossed!

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote