Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-18, 10:36 AM  
Salamander

Colon Cleansing

I am desperately trying to figure out what's going on with my body. I'm up a few pounds and it's almost all in my belly (which is normal for me when I gain some) BUT it's different this time. I've tried all the usual healthy eating methods that have worked in the past. I bounce up and down a couple pounds, but I still feel tired and grumpy all the time.

Looking on the internet for answers (Yes I know.... )... but well-respected sources are talking about how a lot of people have parasites!! Ewwww. But the more I think about it, it's a possibility. Most of the symptoms can mirror other illnesses (bloating, gas, fatigue, unable to lose weight,headaches, constipation, diarrhea etc.) The mental symptoms that shocked me: depression, anxiety, isolation. I've always been quiet,an introvert, but the last year or so I have all but stopped socializing, I get anxious when I have to talk to people at work, I go out of my way to avoid interacting with them (won't take the elevator if people are on it, change my path down the hallway to avoid chit chat). I was starting to feel like I'm going crazy. Apparently, some parasites can alter your brain chemistry.

Also, there's the parasite that gets transmitted through cat feces. I have owned cats for years (don't have any right now) and recently volunteered at my humane society, cleaning the cat cages.

Anyway, I have ordered a colon cleansing kit and hoping that will help. I'm on a high deductible HSA medical plan, so I can't afford to go to the doctor. Wondering if anyone here has had similar issues and what helped?
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 11:02 AM  
donnamp

Hi Salamander,

I know you mentioned having a high deductible medical plan - but, I would seriously consider going to the Dr. for this - it does not sound like something you should DYI. Also, who is to know if this "colon cleanse" would actually get rid of parasites, if that, indeed is the problem? Those products are not regulated and the manufacturers of them could make all kinds of claims. At best, it could just be a waste of money for you and at worst it may cause more harm.

Your symptoms could be indicative of any number of things- and it could be something that may need medical intervention.

Please re-consider, I know it can be expensive, but your life and health are worth it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 11:11 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Salamander - I totally agree with Donna.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 11:14 AM  
killoffsonny

colon cleanse

please pm me. I'll try to get back to you asap although I will be at work most of the day today. But I don't feel comfortable discussing this in the forum as they frown on lay people telling their friends what to do for medical issues.
Old 01-09-18, 11:17 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

ITA that you should see a doctor, especially if you have symptoms of depression or anxiety. Meds can be a life saver.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 11:36 AM  
Salamander

Thank you for the concern. I'm going to do this cleanse (it's from a very reputable source, believe me I've done the research), along with clean eating and exercise. If I still don't feel better, I will see my doctor, as I do have some HSA money that my employer contributes, it's just not available to me yet.
Old 01-09-18, 12:19 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
I'm up a few pounds and it's almost all in my belly ...tired and grumpy all the time. ...depression, anxiety, isolation.
I don't know how old you are, but I had all those symptoms with perimenopause. The anxiety was really striking (as was the weight gain). I was not able to lose the weight until I went through menopause, then it came off (with calorie-counting and good workouts).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 01:44 PM  
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I was not able to lose the weight until I went through menopause, then it came off (with calorie-counting and good workouts).
Oh no, now I'm depressed! JK! Thanks for the honesty....
Old 01-09-18, 01:50 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

just in case, check the side effects of any meds you may be one, even ones you have been on for sometime. (I just figured out that my antihistamines cause weight gain -ah, that's those 10 pounds, other side effects have kicked in after I've been on a med for sometime).
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 08:53 PM  
Salamander

I currently take no medications, but I did go off the smallest dose of Naturethroid about 6 weeks ago (doctor said ok). That could be contributing to the fatigue, but I've been using a supplement.