Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-02-20, 11:48 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 2/2-8: Groundhot Day Edition!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 11:56 AM  
JustSandra

Oops! I see now I made a typo in the thread title this week -- and I don't know how to fix it. Oh well, "Groundhot" it is!

Last week I gave up on the current Essentrics 30-day challenge, as a couple of the same routines (emphasizing connective tissue) were being repeated over and over, and I was starting to feel a dread about pulling them out. This week I still want to do CS/Essentrics, but will choose a regular CS season and start from there. I want to pair them with Margaret Richard Unplugged episodes, which I am very much enjoying at the moment!

I've been wearing my new step counter, and last week's step totals ranged from 7,549 to 14,025. It is very interesting to see what daily activities translate into bigger step totals.

Be back later -- I'll be working out today, but also plan to watch the Super Bowl!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 12:36 PM  
cyana

Popping in to wish Sandra's and Gayle's respective teams good luck in the Super Bowl.

Sandra - So Groundhot it is then. I don't know that I've ever tried to change a thread title before. I finally managed to dig out two of my old pedometers. Now to find a manual for at least one of them, put in a new battery and do the step re-calibration.

Right now I'm running scans on my laptop and doing some bulk cooking. I just took two sheet pans of butternut squash out of the oven. I tossed the cubed squash with some avocado oil and split them into three batches - the first I seasoned with thyme, rosemary and a bit of Celtic sea salt. The second batch was seasoned with Adobo (I have a serious addiction to this stuff - it works on pretty much everything!), and I used Frontier Organic Turmeric Twist Sweet Blend on the third. OMG, the Sweet Blend batch tastes like dessert with absolutely no added sugar. Next up - beets and turnips.

Time to get the next batch of veggies into the oven. Will be back later with a batch cooking and work-out update.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 12:42 PM  
gjv

HAPPY SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!

Also, I'm home!

I did Jessica's Tred and Shred this morning, barefoot I might add, and then did a Leslie mile.
Old 02-02-20, 12:44 PM  
gjv

I love groundhot!
Old 02-02-20, 12:56 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Ballet Beautiful streaming: Butt Series Part 2
Ballet Beautiful streaming: Inner Thigh Blast
YouTube: Pelvic Floor Release Stretches | FemFusion Fitness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Rydb1nZU4

The Pelvic Floor Release Stretches from YouTube was a lovely practice. It felt relaxing after doing the lower body Ballet Beautiful workouts.

Question to all: Why do a lot of people use the Super Bowl as a reason to binge on unhealthy food?

Sandra, thank you for the start to our week! Besides the obvious of going on long walks, did you figure out what activity drove up your step count?

Anny, you have nice beach water temperatures. When I was a kid, I didn't mind swimming in the cold Pacific Ocean in Southern California but I can't tolerate cold water like that anymore.

Cyana, your roasted butternut squash sounds great! Which verssion do you like better--the squash with thyme/rosemary or the squash with Adobo and turmeric? Oh, I want to try that Frontier Organic Turmeric Twist Sweet Blend! I had never heard of it so thank you for mentioning it.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 02:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, I think that you can all edit titles within a certain period of time. I quite like "Groundhot," however! Those are great step totals!

Mmm, cyana, I love roasted root veggies! Has your insomnia been any better?

Gayle, welcome back/home!

Paine, FemFusion Fitness does have some nice practices.

In answer to your food question, I think that we all can use holidays as an exception to however we are normally disciplined, including changes to sleeping, eating, dressing, drinking, working, whatever. (Personally, I tend to believe things, including foods, aren't good/bad--most things are not harmful in moderation. I made black bean brownies to bring over to my in-laws for the game. )

I'll be back to check in shortly.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 03:51 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Here's a Sunday funny for you--just watched this Groundhog Day commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

I guess the little rascal saw his shadow again this year.

Here was my week (which sort of petered out, although I did keep up with the Tara Brach meditation challenge and then started the Sharon Salzberg one yesterday):

Monday
30MTF Build & Burn - Trim & Tone Intervals, Cardio only premix; Kettlebell/Kickbox Fusion, Kettlebell only premix
Yoga Ranger (YT) - Restorative Yoga for Back Pain (would up doing my own thing)
Yoga with Tim (YT) - Yoga Workout Challenge Day 27, Pranayama & Meditation

Tuesday
Blogilates (YT) - 12m Thigh Workout (recommended by Paine)
30MTF Build & Burn - Upper Body Supersets (skipped back, burnouts)
Yoga with Tim - Yoga Workout Challenge Day 28 (only about 12m)

Wednesday
Yoga Conditioning for Athletes, Sports Minis - Running; Golf; All-Sports

Thursday
TAUGHT yoga at college, studio
Yoga Conditioning for Athletes, Sports Minis - Swimming; Tennis

Friday
Jenni Rawlings Yoga (online) - Strong Mobile Shoulders

Saturday
TAUGHT Mind Body Brew yoga class
Jenni Rawlings Yoga (online) - 20m Hip Mobility for Squats

Sunday
Gentle yoga class & guided meditation with Ana

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-02-20, 04:33 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, that's a cute Sunday funny! I read that the groundhog prediction is only 39% accurate, so not too good.
I totally understand people feasting at holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc. but it's harder for me to understand binging on one particular sports game. I find it funny.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 05:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, I bet that there are people out there who find the Superbowl to be more important than Christmas or any other holiday.

I loved the movie Groundhog Day, so I found that commercial to be really cute!

Follow me @YogiBethC