Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-19, 03:36 PM  
Verine
VF Supporter

The chest segment from Cathe's Ripped with HiiT--did this once and never again due to the dread factor. I remember my chest and arms were quivering and I had DOMS for days.

Tonique Femme Fatale Phase 2

Most of the Horizontal Conditioning Hard Core Club workouts--the last time I attempted one, I could barely make it through the warm-up.
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-19, 07:38 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Well, I managed to get to Set 7 again on that workout...with modifications. Heh. Remembering how sore my chest and shoulders got last time (due to all the burpees), I decided to sub some of the Hiit moves that used the upper body with lower body or back moves (I subbed the manmakers with rows for example). I am not too sore today as a result. I'll reach that summit some day!
Hey Colleen,
I did that workout last night based on your comments. I have a weird obsession to try any workout people say are the toughest thing ever. Anybody else have this? I did make it through the whole thing but I had to take a couple extended breaks to accomplish that. My glutes are feeling it the most today thanks to all the curtsy lunges. It’s funny how the same workout affects us each differently. I used dumbbells and my kettlebells. I can’t fathom how Julia slings that 85lb barbell. I despise all the clean and presses. Why is she obsessed with those? I couldn’t figure out a substitute so I did do them though. I did snatches with my 26lb KB though as opposed to her dumbbell though. Thanks for pointing this one out. Some of those HIIT moves REALLY got my heart rate up and aren’t ones you see used all the time.

To answer your original question Horizontal Conditioning Bootcamp came to mind. I haven’t tried it yet based on others comments on its toughness. But numerous Julia workouts fall into this category too. I did one of hers that was one of her X number of subscribers challenges (I can’t remember if it was 1000 or 2000). It had tons of Bulgarian squats, lunges and deadlifts and was tough and long.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 08:11 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
Hey Colleen,
I did that workout last night based on your comments. I have a weird obsession to try any workout people say are the toughest thing ever. Anybody else have this? I did make it through the whole thing but I had to take a couple extended breaks to accomplish that. My glutes are feeling it the most today thanks to all the curtsy lunges. It’s funny how the same workout affects us each differently. I used dumbbells and my kettlebells. I can’t fathom how Julia slings that 85lb barbell. I despise all the clean and presses. Why is she obsessed with those? I couldn’t figure out a substitute so I did do them though. I did snatches with my 26lb KB though as opposed to her dumbbell though. Thanks for pointing this one out. Some of those HIIT moves REALLY got my heart rate up and aren’t ones you see used all the time.

To answer your original question Horizontal Conditioning Bootcamp came to mind. I haven’t tried it yet based on others comments on its toughness. But numerous Julia workouts fall into this category too. I did one of hers that was one of her X number of subscribers challenges (I can’t remember if it was 1000 or 2000). It had tons of Bulgarian squats, lunges and deadlifts and was tough and long.
Haha, that is so awesome! I love it! lol I love trying workouts that challenge me even if it means I end up shortening it or going lighter in weights in the end. Constantly challenging myself, while being mindful of recovery (including proper sleep and protein intake) is important to me. It's good for me mentally as well as physically. When I can conquer something I couldn't do before it makes me feel very happy. Honestly, when I saw someone had put "puke in a bucket" in the tag for this thread, I worried I had made a mistake posting this thread. I haven't been on here in awhile and have dropped off Facebook for the most part (where I participated in a few fitness groups, including a Cathe group and Julia's group). I haven't been to Cathe's forum in awhile either. I just really miss talking about my workouts. So I'm glad you posted! It's nice to see others that love these kinds of workouts and take a positive view of them rather than seeing them as "dread" workouts or "puke in the bucket".

As for this workout, GOOD JOB completing it! I agree how crazy it is Julia can throw those heavy weights on her barbell over her shoulders! She is such an inspiration to me. I LOVE how strong she is! I almost always go lighter than her, especially lately since she has actually increased her weights since having her baby this past summer. The most I can put on my barbell for a hang clean is 50 lbs but even less for back loading. Since I don't have a squat rack, I always keep that below 40 lbs on my barbell. I don't feel safe going over that. I can often match her weights for lower body, though.

It is funny how workouts affect people differently depending on their strengths. My lower body can take quite a lot, but all those push ups in that workout really challenge my upper body. That said, I probably could have kept those upper body moves in this last time, honestly. I really wasn't sore this time, which surprised the heck out of me. It's funny because the same workout can make me crazy sore one time and not so much the next time. I think with this workout it's mostly a MENTAL block for me. Next time I do it I intend to push through to set 8 no matter what, even if it means I pause the workout and recover for an extended period of time...just to get past that mental block I've put up with this one.

As for HoCo Bootcamp, you've got to try it!! It's really not that bad...I mean it's TOUGH, but if you can do Julia's workouts, especially those long ones, you are good to go. I used to do that workout pretty often, although now I'm pretty sure I couldn't make it all the way through it in one go because I've gotten away from my HoCo workouts. I think I've done maybe one HoCo in the past 6 months.
Old 03-01-19, 09:05 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I totally own that I was the one who added the "Puke in a bucket" tag to this thread, along with the "hardest workout" and "hardest cathe" tags. I was hoping all 3 tags would help people find other workouts that would challenge them. I'm really sorry.

Unfortunately, I tagged in a hurry and I should have checked that that although the "puke in a bucket" tag exists, it doesn't lead to helpful results as far as finding the names of other challenging workouts. In fact, by reading one of the threads that tag links to, I learned that "puke in a bucket" seems to be taken/used as a primarily negative descriptor. I was thinking "puke in a bucket" was more just hyperbole for or another way of saying "uber-challenging".

Back when I was in better shape, I enjoyed really pushing myself with these types of workouts although Imax3 was about as tough as I got. (And I hope to get back there someday.)

So since the "puke in a bucket" tag didn't bring up any useful results and I was the one who added it in the first place, I was able to remove it from this thread. I left the "hardest workouts" and "hardest cathe" tags because those do seem to bring up useful results for people looking for a challenge (although the threads they pull up are several years old at least). I even searched and tagged a few other threads so that there would be more results). But now when someone searchest the "hardest workouts" tag, this Mt. Everest thread will come up, and that's great because there don't seem to be too many recent discussions with this tag.

My apologies again.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 09:37 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Aw thanks, adawn. I appreciate it. I was feeling a bit sheepish when I saw that. Like maybe I shouldn't have posted. I know a lot of folks on here no longer do these kinds of workouts and that is totally okay. Everyone has to do what's right for them! I just really miss talking about and gushing and getting excited about these kinds of workouts. I got a lot of that with Julia's Facebook group, but honestly I just hate Facebook these days. I haven't deleted my account yet but I've been avoiding it. It's hard to find forums and social media spaces for home workouts and much, much harder for intense or challenging workouts. I love finding people to bounce things off of and to provide inspiration.
Old 03-01-19, 09:51 AM  
owltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Cathe's Cardio Hiit. Talk about sucking wind! I use to try to do all 3, but I would breathe so hard. 2 of the 3 is plenty. I rarely do this one because of the dread. I need to do a segment or 2 soon. I need to eat my wheaties before I do it.
All three at once!?!? That is definitely a Mt. Everest marki! I reach for one (1) of these when I want a fast-and-furious. That also helps enormously with the dread factor.
Old 03-01-19, 10:13 AM  
Cowgirl32

Tonique femme fatale...
Old 03-01-19, 10:44 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
All three at once!?!? That is definitely a Mt. Everest marki! I reach for one (1) of these when I want a fast-and-furious. That also helps enormously with the dread factor.
Glad to hear you say that. I use to think I was a wimp because I would almost pass out trying to do all 3. No, I feel I am much more sensible in my older age. One as an add on to a weight workout should be plenty for me.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 05:37 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
I'm thinking about attempting my current Mount Everest workout today. This Fit Body by Julia workout is by far the TOUGHEST workout I've ever done. Last time I attempted it I had to stop after Set 7 as I was completely wiped and I still wound up being sore for days. lol

Here's my Mount Everest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF8h...aENjZo&index=2

I know a lot of ladies on here no longer do intense workouts, but for those that still do...what is your Mount Everest that you hope to conquer some day??
Thank you for posting that!! I will attempt to do that on my BD. As years go by I lke to do the hardest workout on my BD. Maybe try to do that earlier... can't wait untio 5/1. This looks hard.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 07:35 AM  
SEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Cathe's Imax 3. All the way through, no rests. I cannot do it. I've only tried it once, and have been scared ever since
I was so shocked the first time I did this one, I was struggling big time! I had to stop a few times, and I had never had to do that with Cathe before. I finally conceded to lowering my step to six inches and that helped. Unfortunately now I would not even attempt it.

To the original poster, I understand wanting to share workout victories. Ten years ago I would have jumped at the chance to try the workout you described. I'm sure there are plenty of people here still doing harder workouts, so keep sharing!
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit body by julia, hardest cathe, hardest workouts, mount everest workout