Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-14, 07:35 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

If You Sell On Amazon

I received this email from Amazon regarding new rules for selling DVDs. While I understand their concerns about counterfeits, it really hurts those of us who just want to prune our collections and even those who want to add to their collections! I recently bought a semi-rare DVD set from an individual for $75 and was ecstatic to get it -- but if these rules had been in effect at the time, we both would have lost out.

Please read this email carefully, as the listing restriction described below may affect your ability to sell DVDs.

As part of our ongoing efforts to provide a great shopping experience, beginning November 17, 2014, only approved sellers will be eligible to list DVDs with Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP) of $25 or greater. (Note: the MSRP is the same as the "List Price" on the Product Detail Page.) We are implementing this restriction because these products may have a higher risk of authenticity issues.

Based on your current performance, you are eligible to apply to sell DVDs with MSRPs of $25 or greater. The application process is described below. You will not be eligible to list DVDs with MSRPs of $25 or greater after November 17 unless your application is approved. Your eligibility to list DVDs with MSRPs of less than $25 or Blu-rays is not affected by this restriction.

Any listings by unapproved sellers for DVDs with MSRPs of $25 or greater will be removed on November 16, 2014. Relisting products you are not approved to sell or creating duplicate listings may result in the immediate suspension or removal of your selling privileges.

To begin an application, click here:

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/

If you apply and you do not have an account with a Professional selling plan, you must agree to sign up for a Professional selling plan within 30 days after your application is approved. A Seller Support associate will follow-up to request additional information to complete your application. At that time, you will need to provide the following to the Seller Support associate:

1) Your primary source(s) of inventory
2) A minimum of three (3) invoices or purchase orders for inventory with MSRP greater than $25 that you plan to sell
3) A written summary of processes you have in place to prevent inauthentic goods from entering your inventory

Your application will be evaluated based on the information you supply.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-14, 07:38 PM  
TinaT

I received this as well. I'm sure BB has something to do with it, along with anyone else selling "systems". So much for the consumer trying to re-coop some of our money if we don't like it, etc.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-14, 11:17 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Would Ebay be an alternative?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 02:32 AM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
I recently bought a semi-rare DVD set from an individual for $75 and was ecstatic to get it -- but if these rules had been in effect at the time, we both would have lost out.
I guess there goes the benefit of trying to sell an out of print DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I received this as well. I'm sure BB has something to do with it, along with anyone else selling "systems". So much for the consumer trying to re-coop some of our money if we don't like it, etc.
You are probably right. BB is just greedy IMHO. I think the recent decrease in prices of some base systems was the correct price they should have been selling the DVDs in the first place. Ex. Hip Hop Abs, Rocking Body and Brazil Butt Lift.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 03:35 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i wonder if Amazon will start policing sellers who gouge?

that would be nice.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 07:40 AM  
TinaT

I'm sure this will help the pirating issue as well. So that would be great. But as one who sells occasionally on Amazon, I'm upset that I won't be allowed to make back the majority of my money if I choose to sell my dvds if they are over $25.00.
Old 09-19-14, 08:07 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i wonder if Amazon will start policing sellers who gouge?

that would be nice.
Really!!! ITA.

I'm going to be even more cautious about future system purchases now. And I'm even less of a fan of Beach Bully.

I rely on Amazon to sell disappointments in my collection. It's hard to move things on the Exchange anymore.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 08:36 AM  
TinaT

Selling on Amazon is what made my fitness dvd collection manageable. It was nice being able to sell off what I didn't use. I hate going back to Ebay. Just isn't as safe and the fees are a killer just to list.
Old 09-19-14, 10:03 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Can you circumvent this by breaking up systems and selling the DVDs separately?

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 10:35 AM  
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Can you circumvent this by breaking up systems and selling the DVDs separately?
Only if the individual title is listed for sale already. To add to the list of titles available on Amazon, you have to be one of their professional sellers.

"Try for progress, not perfection" Chris Freytag
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bootlegs, selling on amazon