Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-05, 11:45 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Super Target vs Wal Mart Super Center vs Costco

Just moved to an area that has all three of these. Haven't had access to any of them before, so this is a major development

Can you guys tell me about your experiences at each--where is the service best, what do you usually go to each store for, etc.?

Thanks!
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 12:32 AM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

I like Target and Costco

Won't say I never go to Wal-Mart, but I *try* not to. Costco has my vote for it's employment practices . Target's practices are acceptable . And then there's Wal-Mart.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 07:26 AM  
woodie

I personally LOVE Target and Costco. Walmart is decent - you can find a wide range of stuff for cheap (more variety than at Target, but less quality).

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 12:05 PM  
gimmat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Won't say I never go to Wal-Mart, but I *try* not to. Costco has my vote for it's employment practices . Target's practices are acceptable . And then there's Wal-Mart.
Ditto!

Super Target is my favorite! I shop there so much, I bought stock in the company! The one near my home has very friendly employees, a decent selection (not everything, but the Tom Thumb down the road fills in the gaps). I buy most of my groceries, movies, exercise equipment, lawn furniture, underwear, toiletries, and candy there. Oh, and anything that has the little red "sale" tag, too.

The Walmart "super store" is always feels dirty to me. The floors seem scuzzy, the aisles are crowded with stuff, and the employees don't seem to care (and why should they?). I avoid it unless I need something for work before Target opens.

Costco is a GREAT warehouse store. But the selection varies a lot. They have my favorite cereal, but not my tp brand. They also don't carry my Sonicare toothbrush heads, but they do have my shampoo in giant buckets... The service is very friendly, especially when I've spoekn with the butcher.
gimmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 12:44 PM  
keilan00

Talking

I LOVE Costco! You need to pay a $45 yearly membership to shop at Costco. I purchase all sorts of items: food, books, flowers, vitamins, shampoo & conditioner, kitchen stuff, toliet paper, paper towels, and odds and ends. Most items are in bulk quantities. If you have a family and use large quantities, you can't beat the price. If you're shopping for one, it might not be cost effective. Their meats are better quality than your average supermarket. The food in the freezer section is awesome. OMG! Love it! Plus, they often serve samples (tons on the weekends). You can get full going around to all the sample stations throughout the store. Other items that I've purchase include tires for my car, luggage set, vacuum, air purifier, contact lenses, eye glasses, photo development, prescription medication, and gas. The wine selection is huge. My Costco is pretty well stocked. It was the very first original Price Club/Costco. It offers the best guarantee/return policy of any store. Also, Costco offers the cheapest gasoline in my city. If I get a dog, maybe I'll name it Costco.

Target and Wal-Mart have their good points and bad. If I only need 1 or 2 items, I'll buy it at Target. Target's store layout is better and is cleaner than Wal-Mart. Wal-mart has lower prices than Target but it's a zoo! Finding parking is a hassle. There are always so many people shopping with lines at every single cash register. I'm trying to limit my spending so I actually don't frequent either store that much anymore. I'll go to Target or Wal-Mart if I see something on sale that I truly want in their weekly ad.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 12:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan00
If I get a dog, maybe I'll name it Costco.
that is soooo funny! ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!

here in paradise, we only have Walmart and Costco of the 3 you mentioned. we also have k-mart and Sam's club (sam's is an affiliate of Walmart and operates like Costco for members only).

it's funny because the Walmarts here are super clean, albeit crowded. i like the service in walmart way way better than k-mart. our k-marts are so....lacking and the merchandise is sometimes dusty - literally. but they have their good points. i don't like k-mart's return policy and their prices aren't very competitive. hopefully, their acquisition w/sears might change things.

i am a walmart fan & shareholder. i tell my mom all the time that when i pass on, i want my ashes spread over Walmart!!! every week when i go, i tell DH that i have to make a visit to The Mecca or else i'll start twitching.

actually, i only go to walmart maybe every 2-3 weeks, mostly to get toiletries, toys for the kids, office supplies, garden supplies, & look at DVDs and fitness equipment. they have decent, basic fitness clothing.

now Target....whenever i go to the mainland, i head there at least once during my trip. it's great. if there's something i really want, i get my SIL in Seattle to buy it for me!

edited to add: i love costco a lot too - we get everything else at Costco, including underwear!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 05:02 PM  
tigger

I love Super Walmart and Super Target. Super Walmart has the lowest prices around for groceries. Super Target has much nicer produce and is brighter / more attractive. Mine are across the street from each other- sometimes I go to both for different things. I am in them both so often that I normally know exactly which one to choose for whatever it is that I need! I belong to Sam's which is similar to Costco (because it is much closer to home) and really enjoy it. I used to go to Costgo before the Sam's opened, and enjoyed it, but didn't go to often. Happy shopping!
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-05, 09:44 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 06:47 AM  
ethansmom

Another BIG thumbs-up for Costco

I agree with Keilan. I love, love, love Costco. They have a lot of things under the Kirkland label, which is their house brand, that are superb quality. As for Super Target and Super Walmart, I like them both. Super Walmart has, by far, the cheapest groceries. However, you sacrifice a bit of service and cleanliness at our Super Walmart.
ethansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-05, 06:55 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Interesting ....

I have never joined Costco (belonged for a year on a business membership)! It happens to be a few miles away and since my kids are grown now, I tend not to buy as much in bulk. Since I watch sale prices (and try to ONLY by on sale), the savings at Costco is not that great for me. AND I begrudge having to pay $45.00 a year to "shop" at someone's store.

That said, I do belong to BJ's, as it's on the way home from work and it's convenient to buy my frozen strawberries. It use to be $30 a year, but has gone up and I am seriously considering NOT joining this August when it comes time to renew. I would get 5 gallon jugs of water for our cooler (cheaper by the gallon at Walmart) and I use to get my big dog food there ~ rationalizing, it was cheaper than anywhere else and if I bought 4 bags a year, I would pay for the membership. That's not the case any more, as the grocery and Walmart are now carrying (at a cheaper and sometimes ON SALE price.)

We have one Target that is out of the way and their prices are higher than Walmart .... but, their choice of Exercise vids is usually better. I shop them both and they both have their purpose.

And on a side note: I am an employee of Walmart (and gimmat, sorry! I love my job and it shows when I work ... no problems here. I have my regular customers and I am usually smiling and having fun!) .... so, I do get a 10% discount and since I'm a cashier, I can price comparison shop as I work. I have a mind for numbers so I know when work has the best price or if I can get a better price on sale somewhere. Our SUPER centers in my state are not all that SUPER, since we don't carry produce, fresh meat, etc. (at least not in the northern part of the state.)....

That's my take on shopping.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote